Management is dogging me on driver training

kelsokid18

UPGF Grunt
Well, I asked the operations manager in our terminal about how to get ahead with UPS Freight. He said I could either take the driver route or the MAPP route. I chose to take the driver path, and he told me to go get my CDL Instruction Permit, which I did late last month. I brought it to my operations manager, he made a photo copy of it, and filed it away, with no further instructions. I talked to him today, he said "I haven't forgotten about you" and took off into the office.

My question is, is why is he dogging me on it, when I am raring and ready to learn. All he has to do is tell me when and where to show up, and I'll be there ready to learn.

sppollock

try getting into the hostler when it is available. Learn to back up trailers, learn to hook up doubles and seeing the area you live, triples. learn to use both mirrors while in the hostler. Ask as many questions as you can of the drivers. Talk to your safety man on your own. You can do all of this on the clock and get paid to learn on your own. He may not be dogging you, he may not have a position open down there, not sure. This is just my ideas to learn as much as possible to drive the truck and learn to do this safely. Good luck.

kelsokid18

UPGF Grunt
try getting into the hostler when it is available. Learn to back up trailers, learn to hook up doubles and seeing the area you live, triples. learn to use both mirrors while in the hostler. Ask as many questions as you can of the drivers. Talk to your safety man on your own. You can do all of this on the clock and get paid to learn on your own. He may not be dogging you, he may not have a position open down there, not sure. This is just my ideas to learn as much as possible to drive the truck and learn to do this safely. Good luck.

Duly noted, thank you. I have made fast friends with the guy that more often than not is our yard jock (a city driver), I'll have to get in touch with him.

BTW, triples are only legal in Oregon, not Washington, just the FYI

slaveof18wheels

I encourage my trainees that are interested to practice with the biggest POS (piece of s@#t) in the yard. One of the older 17 or 18 series volvos or a 61 or 62 series international. This begins to give you the feel of a tractor. The hostler is a different beast and driving that will not help when you go to get your cdl. Then I recommend practicing with a pup. The shortness of the pup trains your eyes to spot much more quickly when you are getting off line when backing. This is because the pup gets away from you much quicker. Master backing a pup as straight as possible for at least 200 feet with as little counter steering as possible. A gentle hand on the wheel is a plus especially when backing and above all don't be ashamed of pulling up and starting over. Once you get a good grasp of backing a pup then go to a long box. (49,92,48). Your trained eye will now pick up when your trailer starts to get off liner much quicker in the backing motion. This will allow for earlier and much gentler backing corrections. And above all else, don't get frustrated. It takes time to get used to going backwards but its vital to be competent at this to be a good driver. Backing is the leading cause of most preventable accidents. So practice every chance you can. And keep us updated on your progress and GOOD LUCK!!!

City Driver

i dont know about other terminals but getting your CDL is on your own time and dime, all they will do is let you practice in the yard, they dont actually train you.....again thats just my terminal i dont know about others

i started out in a hostler truck and while it did help me, go ahead and get in an old piece of junk city tractor, like slave said an old 17 or 18 series is best......you will have to do this on your own time but just get permission to go out in the yard after work and learn to back, and to hook a set of doubles/triples

get the shifting down, and learn to double clutch just because you have to do it on the CDL test (here atleast)...after that wave the clutch bye bye

kelsokid18

UPGF Grunt
Persistence pays! I asked if I could get some time in the hostler truck today, and while the boss decided against it (since we're a day behind from the holiday, we were busy) he did say that starting next week I could start practicing in the yard with the yard jock. I'll be keeping the advice here in mind as I learn.

As for "UPS not training me on their time," it sounded like I might train a little bit on their time, and a little bit on mine, but I'll hear more on Friday.

City Driver, Washington and Oregon both require you to learn the double clutch. My CDL will be in Washington because of being a WA resident

City Driver

have u ever backed a trailer of any kind before? remember when backing a pup, make smaller movements with the wheel...and when backing a van you gotta turn the wheel alot harder

and on a van also the farther up your tandems are slid the less u have to steer, but that also causes the trailer to hang over the axle so you gotta watch that to

i still get alot of time in the jockey trucks, there no fun...u dont have to crank any landing gear but ours are all pieces of junk, the mirrors are worthless cuz the damn things shake so bad...get ready to hang your head out that window all the time, unless your trucks dont shake as bad as ours...even when u let off the brake they still shake to bad to use

kelsokid18

UPGF Grunt
We have 3 yard rigs. A brand new one, and 2 older ones with their Motor Cargo stripes. The Motor Cargo ones look like death traps, but the new one looks nice.

I have experience backing a short 9 foot long utility trailer and a 25 foot car trailer with a Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab

City Driver

backing that 9 foot trailer will only compare to backing a dolly

if possible your best bet is to get into a tractor not just a jockey truck, theres things you can do in a jockey truck that you cant do in a tractor

happybob

Feeders
You have another option. You can attend a tractor trailer training school. The cost is close to $6000. You can look into your area about obtaining a student loan for the course. Most of them offer weekend classes. The repayment schedule is pretty decent, about $50 per month. If you get the license through them, you use the equipment you are trained on, on their property for most of the test, then out in an area where you road train. You get very familiar with the area before the test. If you go this route, how long will it take to get the license and whats the pay differance getting to drive. If the differance is more than the cost, maybe, jmho, you may want to try that route.

We have 3 yard rigs. A brand new one, and 2 older ones with their Motor Cargo stripes. The Motor Cargo ones look like death traps, but the new one looks nice.

I have experience backing a short 9 foot long utility trailer and a 25 foot car trailer with a Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab

Learn to drive in one of the death traps. If you can get good at driving a s-box then you`ll be able to drive something nice in your sleep.

I do that NOW! On the clock, too! Man, I'm tired.

I know,I`ve seen how some of you guys park. Must be quite an honor to graduate from the Stevie Wonder Truck Driving School.

P.S. Put the word out. We`ve been told that if you guys park in our way to take a nap while you wait and it blocks us from doing our work that we can feel free to wake you guys up as often as it takes. Pick your nap spots accordingly. Don`t you love inter-company fighting.:happy2:

the best way to get ahead at overnite transporation AKA UPGF is kiss up to management, bring pizza rolls, cakes, donuts......anything and everything.....hard work is a thing of the past.