Management is taking issue with my being overallowed.

V and H

Look for the "off the clock work" postings in your building. I'm pretty sure it's a violation of state law to have employees working without being compensated. Your sups allow this because it helps their numbers/bonus. The runners getting off the clock is twofold, getting off the clock and getting the bonus. Unless these loaders are being sent home early and not finishing their shift the drivers working in addition to the loaders doesn't reduce the loaders hours. Now if the drivers get on the belt and work without clocking in and the loader goes home, that's a problem. I do not advocate any drivers on the belts before start time unless they are on the clock in seniority order.
When the drivers are up on the belts tightening up their load before start time, the loaders are still there. The loader pulls the driver's stops off the belt and hands them to him. In theory, this reduces the loader's hours because he pulls the packages off the belt but only takes them as far as the back of the car. That would certainly help Preload's numbers. And the driver starting his route with the load set up stop for stop helps Onroad's numbers.

The drivers working before the start time are usually the guys who get off early. In any case, it makes the drivers who follow the rules look back in comparison on the WR.

I would think that the union would advise the drivers to stay the Heck off the belts before start time so as to allow the maximum paid work for the part timers. Or be allowed to clock in and go work preload in seniority order as mentioned above. I will ask my BA why this is being allowed.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

When the drivers are up on the belts tightening up their load before start time, the loaders are still there. The loader pulls the driver's stops off the belt and hands them to him. In theory, this reduces the loader's hours because he pulls the packages off the belt but only takes them as far as the back of the car. That would certainly help Preload's numbers. And the driver starting his route with the load set up stop for stop helps Onroad's numbers.

The drivers working before the start time are usually the guys who get off early. In any case, it makes the drivers who follow the rules look back in comparison on the WR.

I would think that the union would advise the drivers to stay the Heck off the belts before start time so as to allow the maximum paid work for the part timers. Or be allowed to clock in and go work preload in seniority order as mentioned above. I will ask my BA why this is being allowed.
They are not allowed to work for free it's against the contract or before you if you have seniority for the extra work both can be grieved

V and H

They are not allowed to work for free it's against the contract or before you if you have seniority for the extra work both can be grieved
Well, I am doing EAMs during that time, but those drivers setting up their load for free are pumping up their WR numbers and further causing management to take notice of my overallowed.

Do you guys think I should mention to my center manager, steward and BA that this widespread working for free is causing a problem not the least of which is taking work away from part timers?

And I'll be the first to admit that it only came onto my radar once my performance was being compared to theirs, as if it's a level playing field when they are starting with a perfect load. I spend a lot of time having to fix my load and deal with misroutes on the clock.

Like I said above, someone at my center said "supes can't direct people to work on their own time, but if they want to, it is allowed". What if they got injured while working before their start time?!

It goes without saying that management loves this free work, reaping the benefits of these guys' desire to get off early.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Do the same thing your doing. Methods is what they want. Give it to them. I do the same. I also follow Orion to a tee. I don't have to worry about my next stop. It's right where they have it set up in the truck Orion is the best thing that happened . For the guys setting up before start time file for an hr on each one. Also 20 plus yrs. You are getting older. File on that too. Harrassment and age discrimination. After a few days of that they will leave you alone. When they try to observe you on route. After. File for harrassment again. For trying to intimidate.

V and H

Do the same thing your doing. Methods is what they want. Give it to them. I do the same. I also follow Orion to a tee. I don't have to worry about my next stop. It's right where they have it set up in the truck Orion is the best thing that happened . For the guys setting up before start time file for an hr on each one. Also 20 plus yrs. You are getting older. File on that too. Harrassment and age discrimination. After a few days of that they will leave you alone. When they try to observe you on route. After. File for harrassment again. For trying to intimidate.
I tried to follow Orion to a tee, but sometimes I couldn't find the package after I had driven to the stop. Maybe you locate the package before you drive there? At guess at some point you have to tighten up the whole truck, probably not coding in your sorting time?

Every time I try to give Orion another chance, I end up doing too much searching, but when I follow EDD I can at least find the packages most of the time and clear the shelves. So I follow EDD except when it is wrong (e.g. break off for pickups).

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I tried to follow Orion to a tee, but sometimes I couldn't find the package after I had driven to the stop. Maybe you locate the package before you drive there? At guess at some point you have to tighten up the whole truck, probably not coding in your sorting time?

Every time I try to give Orion another chance, I end up doing too much searching, but when I follow EDD I can at least find the packages most of the time and clear the shelves. So I follow EDD except when it is wrong (e.g. break off for pickups).

I don't put sort time in. I do have my whole truck sorted by noon. I sort it in about 15-20 mins. Orion wise. They pay me to follow their stupid, makes no sense bs. I don't have any reason to not follow it. You are dispatched at a 12 hr day. Believe me. It takes a weight off of your shoulders. Your not payed to decide. So don't. Go back if you need to. After I did this. They gave me nothing more than an 8.8 day. I won.AGAIN

By The Book

Well, I am doing EAMs during that time, but those drivers setting up their load for free are pumping up their WR numbers and further causing management to take notice of my overallowed.

Do you guys think I should mention to my center manager, steward and BA that this widespread working for free is causing a problem not the least of which is taking work away from part timers?

And I'll be the first to admit that it only came onto my radar once my performance was being compared to theirs, as if it's a level playing field when they are starting with a perfect load. I spend a lot of time having to fix my load and deal with misroutes on the clock.

Like I said above, someone at my center said "supes can't direct people to work on their own time, but if they want to, it is allowed". What if they got injured while working before their start time?!

It goes without saying that management loves this free work, reaping the benefits of these guys' desire to get off early.
Talk to your steward and get his or her take on your situation. If you want a bigger target on your back go ahead and talk to your manager about your concerns in paragraph 2. Stay the course and don't panic. You need to find a way to take care of your own situation. Maybe you should be a steward?, and did you read those off the clock postings I was talking about?

V and H

Talk to your steward and get his or her take on your situation. If you want a bigger target on your back go ahead and talk to your manager about your concerns in paragraph 2. Stay the course and don't panic. You need to find a way to take care of your own situation. Maybe you should be a steward?, and did you read those off the clock postings I was talking about?
Yes, I read everything in this thread about three times.

When I got to work, the BA and steward were both there so we talked about all of my concerns. This is what the BA said:

(1) Our local allows drivers to come in before their start time and tighten up their load, but they cannot pull off the belt--the part timer has to do that. Our steward says he has always done this because he likes to get off early and he bonuses. So that settles it as far some of my coworkers volunteering to set up their load before start time.

(2) The BA called my bid route "regular work" and the EAMs "extra work". He said management definitely can pull me off of EAMs on a Friday morning and send me out on a split car if I wouldn't be able to finish my "regular work", which, as I said, is a route 25+ minutes away over a mountain pass. The BA said that this is for operational reasons. I get my 60 paid weekly hours anyway so there is nothing to grieve.

(3) When I brought up the "overallowed" issue, they seemed amused and said "We don't worry about that and you shouldn't either. If you get a letter or get pulled in the office with a steward, we can take it from there". They noted that I was one of the older drivers, and that my age and physical condition would be a factor if my performance were further scrutinized. The BA and steward know the manner in which I work and they said "just keep doing what you're doing".

As far as putting a bigger target on my back, I never do anything that could even possibly get me in any trouble. I am super paranoid about making sure I keep the job. One of the perks of having nothing to hide is being able to bring my concerns to management or the union, which I have done often and they probably consider me a PITA.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

When I got to work, the BA and steward were both there so we talked about all of my concerns. This is what the BA said:

(1) Our local allows drivers to come in before their start time and tighten up their load, but they cannot pull off the belt--the part timer has to do that. Our steward says he has always done this because he likes to get off early and he bonuses. So that settles it as far some of my coworkers volunteering to set up their load before start time.

(2) The BA called my bid route "regular work" and the EAMs "extra work". He said management definitely can pull me off of EAMs on a Friday morning and send me out on a split car if I wouldn't be able to finish my "regular work", which, as I said, is a route 25+ minutes away over a mountain pass. The BA said that this is for operational reasons. I get my 60 paid weekly hours anyway so there is nothing to grieve.

(3) When I brought up the "overallowed" issue, they seemed amused and said "We don't worry about that and you shouldn't either. If you get a letter or get pulled in the office with a steward, we can take it from there". They noted that I was one of the older drivers, and that my age and physical condition would be a factor if my performance were further scrutinized. The BA and steward know the manner in which I work and they said "just keep doing what you're doing".

As far as putting a bigger target on my back, I never do anything that could even possibly get me in any trouble. I am super paranoid about making sure I keep the job. One of the perks of having nothing to hide is being able to bring my concerns to management or the union, which I have done often and they probably consider me a PITA.
You seem to not deserve to be treated like this.

Sorry.

We had a manager come into my center about 15 years ago for about a year.

In that year, she fired about 10 drivers.

All high senority, and all got their jobs back the next day because of the B.A.

She got no cooperation from the drivers after that.

Numbers went to hell.

Injuries went way up

Pretty much chased her away.

Sounds like you need a manager change.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

As for paragraph (1), no local that I know of would ever allow this. Sounds like your steward needs to grow a pair and stop working for free. Sickening. Good luck and don't back down.

V and H

You seem to not deserve to be treated like this.

Sorry.

We had a manager come into my center about 15 years ago for about a year.

In that year, she fired about 10 drivers.

All high senority, and all got their jobs back the next day because of the B.A.

She got no cooperation from the drivers after that.

Numbers went to hell.

Injuries went way up

Pretty much chased her away.

Sounds like you need a manager change.
That is an interesting story--I think I may have had this center manager a few years ago.

The center manager we have now is near ideal. He is intelligent, articulate, effective and even funny. He is doing his job as the DM wants him to, but the DM expects everything to be perfect. The DM is getting this directive from his boss (Regional Manager?).

I often imagine myself in the shoes of the full time supes in our center, and I don't think I would do very well. I would probably have a serious stress issue. I am very glad that I stayed a driver!

V and H

As for paragraph (1), no local that I know of would ever allow this. Sounds like your steward needs to grow a pair and stop working for free. Sickening. Good luck and don't back down.
I am accepting what the BA said. Most of us at my center have known each other for a really long time so I would imagine that things will continue along without anybody rocking the boat too much.

The center manager and the BA have the final word, and they seemed to have met in the middle insofar as I can tell.

All I really need is to keep my job and make as much money as possible.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
That is an interesting story--I think I may have had this center manager a few years ago.

The center manager we have now is near ideal. He is intelligent, articulate, effective and even funny. He is doing his job as the DM wants him to, but the DM expects everything to be perfect. The DM is getting this directive from his boss (Regional Manager?).

I often imagine myself in the shoes of the full time supes in our center, and I don't think I would do very well. I would probably have a serious stress issue. I am very glad that I stayed a driver!
You could offer me 150k a year to be a driver supe and I WOULD STILL SAY NO lol. Really no initiative any more, took away the pension, they have to pay for their insurance, 24-7 stress from your PECKERHEAD DM, forget that nonsense, the money aint worth stress and knowing your a SELLOUT lol.

V and H

You could offer me 150k a year to be a driver supe and I WOULD STILL SAY NO lol. Really no initiative any more, took away the pension, they have to pay for their insurance, 24-7 stress from your PECKERHEAD DM, forget that nonsense, the money aint worth stress and knowing your a SELLOUT lol.
They should have stayed driving!

Isn't it a DOT violation for a driver to work off the clock? Would affect the employees hours of service availability of he is working off the clock straightening his load.