Management is taking issue with my being overallowed.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Isn't it a DOT violation for a driver to work off the clock? Would affect the employees hours of service availability of he is working off the clock straightening his load.
The reasoning behind working off the clock is to get done sooner, thus negating the hours of service thing which isn't a problem for the majority of the drivers anyway.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I am accepting what the BA said. Most of us at my center have known each other for a really long time so I would imagine that things will continue along without anybody rocking the boat too much.

The center manager and the BA have the final word, and they seemed to have met in the middle insofar as I can tell.

All I really need is to keep my job and make as much money as possible.
You say you want to work up to 12 hours. With that mindset, do you slow down if it looks like it will only take 10?

True but if ups allows drivers to work off the clock, any device keeping up with driver time is now inaccurate because they worked off the clock. So when DOT checks on a driver that drivers recorded time is inaccurate and that's why drivers must be paid for all time worked. It's in our contract for a reason. It's ups responsibility to make sure no employee works off the clock.

V and H

You say you want to work up to 12 hours. With that mindset, do you slow down if it looks like it will only take 10?
Definitely not. Sometimes I get only 8 hours paid and I am happy to go home early. I can always work Saturdays for more OT. It's those 14 hour paid days that bring up the average.

V and H

True but if ups allows drivers to work off the clock, any device keeping up with driver time is now inaccurate because they worked off the clock. So when DOT checks on a driver that drivers recorded time is inaccurate and that's why drivers must be paid for all time worked. It's in our contract for a reason. It's ups responsibility to make sure no employee works off the clock.
This is a huge point here^^. I am going to write it down and share that with every employee who will listen.

Just so we all understand: if an employee has hit his 60 weekly hours and spent any time working off the clock that week, he has violated the DOT rule.

And that 60 hour rule is very much about public safety: avoiding a tired driver in a heavy truck.

All of this also applies to the daily 14 hour rule.

Last edited:
Next time they harass you about there numbers, pull out the contract book and ask them where in the contract that it states anything about over allowed. This should get the dumb asses off your back.

V and H

At our center, we have a culture where we can do whatever we like with our personal time, be it sit and eat or set up your load.

I think that what somebody wants to do with their personal time is their business. I actually spend most of my paid breaks working, but when I am on lunch or not punched in I don't do UPS work.

If, however, it takes away work from a part timer, then that is a problem.

By The Book

At our center, we have a culture where we can do whatever we like with our personal time, be it sit and eat or set up your load.

I think that what somebody wants to do with their personal time is their business. I actually spend most of my paid breaks working, but when I am on lunch or not punched in I don't do UPS work.

If, however, it takes away work from a part timer, then that is a problem.
It sounds like you will not be able to change the culture in your building. Take your ball and go home.

browned out

If they keep harassing you; then you will have to do something. Someone told me the following would work. Meet with your steward and direct supervisor. Tell them that you are not being treated equally. Ask to see all drivers timecards and delivery records to make sure that lunch is being taken. Also ask for all telematics reports showing if package cars are going over the speed limit. Everyone needs to follow management instruction and the contract. Taking a lunch during required hours and not speeding is what everyone is required to do.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i can't believe you are a 20 year driver and taking this crap.

they are just trying to intimidate you and it's working. it's the UPS way.

you are absolutely RIGHT to do things by the book. your production rides did not show any faults on your part so just continue to do what you are doing.

if they HARASS you again FILE a grievance. screw them.

V and H

If they keep harassing you; then you will have to do something. Someone told me the following would work. Meet with your steward and direct supervisor. Tell them that you are not being treated equally. Ask to see all drivers timecards and delivery records to make sure that lunch is being taken. Also ask for all telematics reports showing if package cars are going over the speed limit. Everyone needs to follow management instruction and the contract. Taking a lunch during required hours and not speeding is what everyone is required to do.
Well, this would definitely get their attention! I know that most lunches are not being taken and that the speed limit is being broken, but I don't want to start World War 3 here. Everybody has to remember that corporate is running the show here, so the plan from UPS IE is being pushed by the DM. And the DM is being pushed by his performance oriented boss. My center manager is not in a position to change this "plan the work, work the plan" directive.

Oops, running low on battery. Must continue later.

By The Book

Well, this would definitely get their attention! I know that most lunches are not being taken and that the speed limit is being broken, but I don't want to start World War 3 here. Everybody has to remember that corporate is running the show here, so the plan from UPS IE is being pushed by the DM. And the DM is being pushed by his performance oriented boss. My center manager is not in a position to change this "plan the work, work the plan" directive.

Oops, running low on battery. Must continue later.
But....we just want them off your back right? It's easier to take care of your own situation than to try and fix a building....am I right?

V and H

But....we just want them off your back right? It's easier to take care of your own situation than to try and fix a building....am I right?
Two points:

(1) There is nothing they can do as long as I keep doing what I'm doing. I am working as instructed. If they instruct me otherwise, I will do that.

(2) I have known the center manager since he was a driver 20+ years ago, and he is a completely level headed, intelligent guy. I have seen the directives from the DM: everything has to be perfect and he has to make the numbers. And I have seen the directives from the DM's boss--he is expecting perfection and working IE's plan. Is this unrealistic? Absolutely. The upper management (DM and up) are pushing production at this point. I imagine that the upper management is doing this because UPS' labor costs are very high for the industry. They believe that they pay us very well and they want to get every penny's worth. The management team at my center has to get on board with this if they want to keep their jobs.
As such, the higher ups are practically forcing my boss into pressuring me to drive unsafely, run, take shortcuts and work off the clock. This approach works with 50+% of the drivers! And these burners are the darlings of management. Who doesn't love a volunteer?

Having worked there for 20+ years, I am comfortable with my union protection and I actually value safety and customer service. I do try to hustle as much as I can, but I am an overweight, middle aged man working close to 60 hours per week 47 weeks per year. There is an element of pacing myself so I work through most of my paid breaks to give them the benefit of a doubt for time spent using the restroom, etc.

I will absolutely continue to work as per the methods every second I am on the clock, and I am confident that there will never be any disciplinary measure as a result.

I also use UPS' services for personal shipping and receiving--it is not cheap. All UPS employees should remain aware of giving the customers what they pay for. I see drivers blow off stops because they want to get off early--this is a breach of contract. I have to believe that these burners don't ship too many packages; if they did, they would respect the customer's right to get nothing less than the service they paid for.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

Two points:

(1) There is nothing they can do as long as I keep doing what I'm doing. I am working as instructed. If they instruct me otherwise, I will do that.

(2) I have known the center manager since he was a driver 20+ years ago, and he is a completely level headed, intelligent guy. I have seen the directives from the DM: everything has to be perfect and he has to make the numbers. And I have seen the directives from the DM's boss--he is expecting perfection and working IE's plan. Is this unrealistic? Absolutely. The upper management (DM and up) are pushing production at this point. I imagine that the upper management is doing this because UPS' labor costs are very high for the industry. They believe that they pay us very well and they want to get every penny's worth. The management team at my center has to get on board with this if they want to keep their jobs.
As such, the higher ups are practically forcing my boss into pressuring me to drive unsafely, run, take shortcuts and work off the clock. This approach works with 50+% of the drivers! And these burners are the darlings of management. Who doesn't love a volunteer?

Having worked there for 20+ years, I am comfortable with my union protection and I actually value safety and customer service. I do try to hustle as much as I can, but I am an overweight, middle aged man working close to 60 hours per week 47 weeks per year. There is an element of pacing myself so I work through most of my paid breaks to give them the benefit of a doubt for time spent using the restroom, etc.

I will absolutely continue to work as per the methods every second I am on the clock, and I am confident that there will never be any disciplinary measure as a result.

I also use UPS' services for personal shipping and receiving--it is not cheap. All UPS employees should remain aware of giving the customers what they pay for. I see drivers blow off stops because they want to get off early--this is a breach of contract. I have to believe that these burners don't ship too many packages; if they did, they would respect the customer's right to get nothing less than the service they paid for.

Screw their numbers. They are slaves to the stockholder. We are not. All we need to do is follow the methods below and know which contract articles to site when they come after us. The worst thing we can do is show any signs of being intimidated.

http://www.804fightsback.com/resources/340-delivery-methods.pdf

V and H

Screw their numbers. They are slaves to the stockholder. We are not. All we need to do is follow the methods below and know which contract articles to site when they come after us. The worst thing we can do is show any signs of being intimidated.

http://www.804fightsback.com/resources/340-delivery-methods.pdf
That link is a goldmine of information. I will have that and the contract memorized for my imminent production ride.

So you don't sympathize too much for the predicament that management is in? Their decision to go into management is regrettable but irreversible. They are people with bills just like us. Maybe they are afraid we will milk the clock that if they don't keep the pressure on. I want to keep the company profitable so my my pension is secure.

Overpaid Union Thug

That link is a goldmine of information. I will have that and the contract memorized for my imminent production ride.

So you don't sympathize too much for the predicament that management is in? Their decision to go into management is regrettable but irreversible. They are people with bills just like us. Maybe they are afraid we will milk the clock that if they don't keep the pressure on. I want to keep the company profitable so my my pension is secure.

I don't sympathize too much because they likely knew what they were getting into before they made the switch.

By The Book

It took all these posts to figure out that you are too close to your management team and feel sorry for them. Take care of yourself first, if I remember correctly they were coming after you, right.