Management is taking issue with my being overallowed.

V and H

It took all these posts to figure out that you are too close to your management team and feel sorry for them. Take care of yourself first, if I remember correctly they were coming after you, right.
This sentiment arose from me driving around on my route trying to wrap my head around the fact that they would complain about a driver who was working and driving safely and using all of their methods.

I finally realized that the "We care about safety" lip service takes a back seat to the "We care about maximizing profit" reality.

I believe that they want to be able to spout out the BS about safety and service while all the while hoping that the employees will work on their own time, run, drive like Speed Racer, and fudge the numbers.

Fortunately, the union protection allows those who choose to value safety and service to do the right thing.

I say "Do it right or don't do it at all". And I hustle as much as I can--I really do.

After doing this consistently for a few years, I have been labeled a slug and milker by the management and burners. Total accidents and injuries I have had during that time: zero.

Last edited:

By The Book

This sentiment arose from me driving around on my route trying to wrap my head around the fact that they would complain about a driver who was working and driving safely and using all of their methods.

I finally realized that the "We care about safety" lip service takes a back seat to the "We care about maximizing profit" reality.

I believe that they want to be able to spout out the BS about safety and service while all the while hoping that the employees will work on their own time, run, drive like Speed Racer, and fudge the numbers.

Fortunately, the union protection allows those who choose to value safety and service to do the right thing.

I say "Do it right or don't do it at all". And I hustle as much as I can--I really do.

After doing this consistently for a few years, I have been labeled a slug and milker by the management and burners. Total accidents and injuries I have had during that time: zero.
You will definitely become a head scratcher working for this company. What they preach and the results they want don't jive. Just a game that needs to be played by those with thick skin.

Overpaid Union Thug

They are just mad because they have to put up with being scolded by a coward on a conference call.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
I came here to read about this issue because I thought there would already be a thread on this. I searched "overallowed" and read most of the info. Here is my story:

I have worked at UPS over 20 years with the last 18 years as a full time driver. When I started out I was a runner gunner, but I had about 7 accidents my first 10 years, so for the last 10+ years I have made it a point to do everything by the methods 100% of the time. Lately, with peak and the fact that I do Early AMs, I have been running out of hours come Friday. Managements idea to fix it is to:
(1) blame my running out of hours on the fact that I run overallowed an average of 1.50 hours per day on my average paid day of 12 hours,
(2) tell me not to come in to do EAMs on Friday in order to have enough hours to do my bid route,
(3) send me out on a split route anyway while a driver with less seniority does my bid route.

I have talked to the union before and the clear result was that I could do EAMs as long as I wanted (which is until I retire), seniority allowing. Currently, all the other EAM drivers are new hires.

Management is under pressure to get the work dispatched and make their production numbers. My bid route is in a town 25 minutes away from the center so that presents a challenge to them. My idea is for them to budget my hours to 12 hours per day so that Friday is just another day; this can definitely be done, but Mon-Thurs they are just trying to worry about those days.

The issue of me being allowed to do EAMs and my bid route will be a slam dunk, but the center manager will be offended if I file a grievance. He could retaliate in some way.

So can I get in trouble for running overallowed when I drive very safely (in treacherous country, by the way) and work safely ALL THE TIME? I am so careful to use all the methods no matter what. Should I start taking shortcuts or start driving a bit faster? What shortcuts would not threaten my job security?

Of course, we have young drivers who come in early and set up the loads on their own time, drive like maniacs, sign for business packages themselves, leave packages at the mailbox, etc. and the management seems to be pleased with them because they bonus.

At one point my BA said "just do everything right all the time and you'll never have to look over your shoulder". I followed this advice to the letter and now management is not honoring my seniority and creating the narrative that I am a slug. I have other drivers telling me "They are mad at you because you are running over".

The center manager has told me that he does not like the idea of me doing EAMs because my route is far away from the center, but a mindful effort in dispatch planning would easily fix this and the adjustment wouldn't add any cost to the company.

If I stopped doing EAMs, my replacement would be a new hire earning half the hourly rate.

At one point, management did a production ride and I ran .65 and 1.49 hours over the first two days. They discontinued the production ride at that point and now they "cannot speak to the time study".
Short answer; NO! You cannot be fired for not meeting their "production" numbers. I look on my check stub and I get paid by the hour.There is NO production number on my check and as far as I know,nobody is paid for production.

Any time I'm over their production number and they point it out,I give them back the piece of paper and tell them to make the computer run my route.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
Clock in,do your job according to the UPS methods and work at a steady pace that does not exert too much force on your body,in other words,don't kill yourself. It's a job and treat it that way.
Those production numbers they use are made up by somebody that couldn't tell a p-700 from a 24' van so treat them like you would any other bs. As long as you are doing your job by the methods and not getting injured or having wrecks,the rest will sort itself out.

Just never forget; we are paid by the hour.

V and H

Having said all this, i still want to express my appreciation to UPS and our customers for the job. My family is well taken care of and I have money for fun stuff.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Having said all this, i still want to express my appreciation to UPS and our customers for the job. My family is well taken care of and I have money for fun stuff.
Corporations lie cheat and steal... It's fact. Don't try to overthink this...from your posts it sounds like you are...keep a line between your mgt team and yourself , yes you have known them for awhile but when their butt is on the line they will do ANYTHING to fix the situation...yes follow the methods the best you can but you are not a robot you might miss something here or there ... They always find something or 20 things you are doing wrong when you have a yearly ride don't sweat it. The biggest problem is having coworkers who work off the clock and skip the breaks and lunch... This right there should tell you that the production numbers are total bs for them to have to do the above things to run decently...keep calm... You are not a new driver.. You will be fine

Coldworld

60 months and counting
And remember the burners will NEVER make it 30 years here... If they don't get canned before that for a serious accident or get hurt so bad they can't come back to do this job ever again ....I have seen both happen ... Ups likes to think if you aren't out there killing yourself you aren't trying....get that out if your mind... And I wouldn't take the advice of a few if the drivers on this site ... There are some runners who swear up and down they don't run( but they skip personal time and cut corners, and come in early to go through the loads ... Real fair right

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Corporations do not steal.
Individuals within the corporation may steal.
Guess it depends on your point of view... Some think that senior level mgt IS the company...and this goes for corporations in general.. Not just ups. You worked in corporate or around enough people to have a firm grip on things( no pun intended) how do you feel about corporations ??

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Guess it depends on your point of view... Some think that senior level mgt IS the company...and this goes for corporations in general.. Not just ups. You worked in corporate or around enough people to have a firm grip on things( no pun intended) how do you feel about corporations ??
I like corporations because they get big things done and at a reasonable cost.
Our society and the things we take for granted are the result of corporations.

I am not a fan of corporations as a place to work since one is simply a cog in a wheel.
Individuals within a corporation must find self-gratification outside the workplace.

Holydriver

(4) I take no lunch or a lunch at the very end (after bringing in my pickups). After I punch out, I empty my garbage can and do all the little things to get ready for the next day.
[/QUOTE]

take your lunch. itll lighten your load..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I like corporations because they get big things done and at a reasonable cost.
Our society and the things we take for granted are the result of corporations.

I am not a fan of corporations as a place to work since one is simply a cog in a wheel.
Individuals within a corporation must find self-gratification outside the workplace.
Companies are changing some for the better.. Others for the worst.... Ups is going the way of the Dino's....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Maybe from an employee's perspective but otherwise, UPS has never been stronger.
tumblr_lm72zqxOXl1qbbqf3o1_500.gif

What's on the other side of hill?

Moxie0234

I came here to read about this issue because I thought there would already be a thread on this. I searched "overallowed" and read most of the info. Here is my story:

I have worked at UPS over 20 years with the last 18 years as a full time driver. When I started out I was a runner gunner, but I had about 7 accidents my first 10 years, so for the last 10+ years I have made it a point to do everything by the methods 100% of the time. Lately, with peak and the fact that I do Early AMs, I have been running out of hours come Friday. Managements idea to fix it is to:
(1) blame my running out of hours on the fact that I run overallowed an average of 1.50 hours per day on my average paid day of 12 hours,
(2) tell me not to come in to do EAMs on Friday in order to have enough hours to do my bid route,
(3) send me out on a split route anyway while a driver with less seniority does my bid route.

I have talked to the union before and the clear result was that I could do EAMs as long as I wanted (which is until I retire), seniority allowing. Currently, all the other EAM drivers are new hires.

Management is under pressure to get the work dispatched and make their production numbers. My bid route is in a town 25 minutes away from the center so that presents a challenge to them. My idea is for them to budget my hours to 12 hours per day so that Friday is just another day; this can definitely be done, but Mon-Thurs they are just trying to worry about those days.

The issue of me being allowed to do EAMs and my bid route will be a slam dunk, but the center manager will be offended if I file a grievance. He could retaliate in some way.

So can I get in trouble for running overallowed when I drive very safely (in treacherous country, by the way) and work safely ALL THE TIME? I am so careful to use all the methods no matter what. Should I start taking shortcuts or start driving a bit faster? What shortcuts would not threaten my job security?

Of course, we have young drivers who come in early and set up the loads on their own time, drive like maniacs, sign for business packages themselves, leave packages at the mailbox, etc. and the management seems to be pleased with them because they bonus.

At one point my BA said "just do everything right all the time and you'll never have to look over your shoulder". I followed this advice to the letter and now management is not honoring my seniority and creating the narrative that I am a slug. I have other drivers telling me "They are mad at you because you are running over".

The center manager has told me that he does not like the idea of me doing EAMs because my route is far away from the center, but a mindful effort in dispatch planning would easily fix this and the adjustment wouldn't add any cost to the company.

If I stopped doing EAMs, my replacement would be a new hire earning half the hourly rate.

At one point, management did a production ride and I ran .65 and 1.49 hours over the first two days. They discontinued the production ride at that point and now they "cannot speak to the time study".
Who cares if your paid over...if you use their methods and do your job, they can just keep talking about it...well, unless you feel you're being harassed. I wouldn't worry about it