Management Using Their Kids As Driver Helpers

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by rhico, Nov 30, 2012.

1. rhico

rhico New Member

I signed up to be a driver helper awhile back. Management is using their kids to be driver helpers. I have asked If I could be a driver helper and management says I'm not needed.

Thoughts?

2. Dracula

Dracula Package Car is cake compared to this...

Relax...those kids will never be the same again. Most likely, they will swear off any sort of physical labor, and get MBA's and work on Wall Street, bankrupting companies like Hostess. All vampire capitalists started off with tough, honest work. Then, they saw they errors of their ways and became empty, human flush funds.

3. Justaname

Justaname Member

Did you apply for seasonal or are you a pt hourly? If your teamster then you should get first dibs on teamster work. If your just a seasonal then you're sol

4. rod

rod retired and happy

try again next year----I guarantee those kids won't be back again.

5. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Easily Amused

I don't think my managers are old enough to have kids

6. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Go look for a job elsewhere.

7. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Actually, hiring the children of management as helpers seems like a good idea to me. They will have a better idea of what the job entails than an off-the-street hire, and probably more accountability than someone who is just in it for a quick $8.50 an hour. I know of 2 helpers in my area over the years who were the children of management and they worked out well. In both cases their parent spoke with the driver beforehand and made it clear that their kids were not to receive any special treatment or favoritism, and in both cases none was given and the kids spent a whole peak season busting their asses on a brown truck. I am sure it was a character building experience.

8. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Wrong Ptimers have not contractual right to seasonal helper work.

9. AZBrown

AZBrown Teamster by choice

That must be a supplemental rule then, because we (preload) specifically get the first crack at helper slots.

10. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

I've seen a lot of sups in street clothes working, also "new hires" who are probably working under the table. Would mgmt pay their kids to come in and make numbers off the books? LOL

11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

There is nothing in the NMA that addresses this but most centers give insiders preference when filling helper slots.

12. Bagels

Bagels Family Leave Fridays!!!

It's addressed in some regional/local contracts.

13. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Did you file a grievance??

14. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Unless his rider / supplement address PTimer have first dibs at driver helper positions he is SOL..

15. rhico

rhico New Member

Im a pt hourly on preload. They just started using helpers this week. I signed up to be a helper a few months ago.

16. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

In hindsight you should have checked with the helper coordinator before Peak started to make sure that you were on the list. Mgt should not be using their own kids over inside employees but I don't know if this is something that you can grieve or simply chalk up as a lesson learned for next year. With only 16 working days left it may be too late to do anything about it.

17. bogeyball

bogeyball Member

You sound envious....:)

18. grgrcr88

grgrcr88 No It's not green grocer!

In the central all inside employees have first rights to helper jobs. If your in the central region file a grievance for the time worked by outside hires. Do it quickly, you only have 5 days.

19. Bagels

Bagels Family Leave Fridays!!!

...but not to exceed eight hours between their inside shift + jumping. If an employee works six hours inside, the Company can easily decline them the right to jump - unless there were jobs with less than 2 hours available.

20. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Here, they have to use inside before outside. That is the rule in Upstate's territory, as well.