Management vs Drivers

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I'm not paid to serve the customer. I'm paid to make my sup look good on paper.

All they want is production.

brownrodster, your posts in this thread should be read by everyone who works at our company, because the essence of it is the real truth about UPS.

I once asked a supervisor if given a choice, and she had to choose, between quality and quantity, what would it be. She said quantity, hands down.

And that my friends says all you need to know about what you need to give UPS in order for your career to be successful. Or at least uneventful.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I will too, but in package it damn near broke my body and spirit trying to do so. I find it much more manageable to do both in feeders.

Still, I think brownrodster nailed it how UPS usually operates. Quantity is almost always pushed over quality.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...how UPS usually operates. Quantity is almost always pushed over quality.

There is no question that UPS does push quantity over quality and will often times look the other way when the quality may suffer a bit as long as the quantity remains strong. Ideally you would like to be able to offer both but quantity, much more now that we have gone public, will always come first in their minds.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Working at UPS sucks.

Actually, if they are getting paid unemployment then working at UPS definitely sucks worse than that. If they are unemployed and not getting payed then they might think it doesn't suck. But I won't be in either of those spots anytime soon, so I still maintain that working for UPS sucks.

BYE!:peaceful:

Get Americans from another country to do them.
LOL, now that, is hilarious!

Uh-oh, somebody's talking about the actual operations section of the company (you know, the REAL UPS), and Hoax can't relate, so he uses his old, trusty "troll" tag. Poser.
Who untimed out, SS?

In my opinion, it would be best for all if loaders made more $ Then they would care about their job more. In turn that would trickle down to the load being better. Making the driver happy and more productive. Making customers more happy, and getting leads. Making management more happy.
Wouldn't that be, Trickle Up?

brownrodster

I've neve seen morale so low in my center as it is now. This is a new era here. I never thought it would get as bad here as it sounds like it is at other centers.

It's like a train wreck. I'm just sitting back and spectating. Laughing. I just deliver what they put on my truck. Can't wait for my turn to drive a feeder...

3HrsOverAllowed

I could care less about production or making the sups look good. I am a service provider therefore that is my only concern. UPS no longer cares about service, only the bottom line. What they don't get is that without the customers there will be no bottom line to care about.

DS

Fenderbender
I'm not paid to serve the customer. I'm paid to make my sup look good on paper.
This qualifies as the quote of the year.
Who wants to buy a t-shirt?
tshirtrod.JPG

Pump Up The Volume

Think about the ratio of management to drivers. It's a relatively small number, especially for management to pilot ratios.
Then think of what managerial skill (s) they have in common.
They all yell at drivers.
It works to keep the sheep in line.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Think about the ratio of management to drivers. It's a relatively small number, especially for management to pilot ratios.
Then think of what managerial skill (s) they have in common.
They all yell at drivers.
It works to keep the sheep in line.

I never thought of management being like sheep dogs but why do we know most of the bad ones?

Tony31yrs

THe job doesn't suck-the people you have to work for suck! I used to tell customers that if UPS didn't pay as well and didn't give the benefits it does, you would only have drivers with green cards delivering to you.