Management's answer is " whatever " ?

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
I am still stuck on the 'water in the sun causes cancer.'

I would think that is something that would require a warning label on a bottle.

You do realize that if you google stuff on WebMD, the answer is always 'cancer'? Right?!?!?

The UV rays of the sun will break down the plastic and the chemicals will be released into the water. As for water fountains, will not drink from them unless I knew they where serviced on a regular basis. And I did drink from a garden hose growing up.

gorilla75jdw

• gorilla75jdw,

I have read many of the unkind and unreasonable responses to your discussion.

Regardless of the concern, the safety reps response to your concern is unacceptable.

These types of ignorant responses clearly contribute to the stressful environment in the workplace.

Much like the many ignorant responses that contribute to some of the unfriendly attitudes of far too many here on the BC.

Sincerely,

I
Integrity ,
normally I cannot stand anything you post on here about anything . But I think you get my point on this , and you are being sincere . Thanks for understanding what I'm trying to convey to the rest of these knuckleheads .

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity ,
normally I cannot stand anything you post on here about anything . But I think you get my point on this , and you are being sincere . Thanks for understanding what I'm trying to convey to the rest of these knuckleheads .
gorilla75jdw,

I believe how people are treated along with the truth are most important in life.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
I

worldwide

Integrity ,

Knuckleheads? You are complaining about water that is being offered to you for FREE. UPS is under no obligation to provide you with bottled water (unless there is something in your local rider). If you don't like how they store the water, don't accept it. What's preventing you from bringing your own water, like the vast majority of employees, union and non-union, do? Who is the real knucklehead? #1stworldproblems

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our new center manager bought 15 cases of bottled water per week this past summer for the drivers. The water was stacked to the left just inside the employee entrance door. Drivers were encouraged to take a case home with them so that they would have cold water during their day. About half of the drivers took advantage of the free water and none of them complained that it was not refrigerated.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Knuckleheads? You are complaining about water that is being offered to you for FREE. UPS is under no obligation to provide you with bottled water (unless there is something in your local rider). If you don't like how they store the water, don't accept it. What's preventing you from bringing your own water, like the vast majority of employees, union and non-union, do? Who is the real knucklehead? #1stworldproblems
worldwide and others,

Most have seemed to miss the point.

My opinion is that the point is the poor management response to the concern.

In this instance it was the concern that the water in plastic bottles was being stored in an unsafe manner.

You may not like it and you may dispute, it but it is a valid concern, but again that is not the point.

The point is the attitude behind "whatever".

The fact is there is Company Policy that is clearly violated and this management person should be disciplined for this violation.

A quick read of the The UPS Policy Book and The UPS Code Of Business Conduct will reveal to anyone that this concern was not handled properly.

The Company recognizes the need to handle employee concerns properly, "whatever" is hardly a proper response to any concern.

This is a problem and this problem effects morale.

Sincerely,
I

worldwide

worldwide and others,

In this instance it was the concern that the water in plastic bottles was being stored in an unsafe manner.

You may not like it and you may dispute, it but it is a valid concern, but again that is not the point.

The fact is there is Company Policy that is clearly violated and this management person should be disciplined for this violation.

A quick read of the The UPS Policy Book and The UPS Code Of Business Conduct will reveal to anyone that this concern was not handled properly.

The Company recognizes the need to handle employee concerns properly, "whatever" is hardly a proper response to any concern.

Sincerely,
I

worldwide and others,

Sincerely,
I

This will be the appropriate UPS response to the employee concern: No more free bottled water. Problem solved and concern addressed. Thanks Gorilla for bringing this concern to UPS's attention.

oldngray

nowhere special
Funny-dump-blog-post-miltonious-12.jpg

worldwide

My hub has been pretty good about providing bottled water to the employees during most days this summer , but they (management) has chose to store the bottled water outside , in direct sunlight for days and weeks . I approached a full-time safety rep today about the storing of the water in direct warm/hot sunlight , and how numerous studies have shown it causes cancer . My safety reps answer was "whatever" it has not been proven . But yet giving what happened in Birmingham just this week , one would think they would try to do better , as usual though guess not .

Actually, your center team is being safe as placing water in the sun in plastic bottles kills germs:

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health/how-to-purify-water-with-sunlight/

Water bottles made for one-time use contain polyethylene terephthalate, also known as PET. You can tell if a bottle contain PET because it has a number one surrounded by a triangle on the bottom of the container.

Water bottles made from PET do not contain di(2-ethylhexyl) adipate, or DEHA, one of the components that critics of the plastic bottles claim leach into the water.

None of the United States regulatory agents classify DEHA as a cancer-causing agent, according to the American Cancer Society. Plastic bottles also do not contain dioxin, a potential cancer-causing agent blamed for the death of women from breast cancer in email warnings on plastic water bottles.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/537604-can-cases-of-water-bottles-sit-in-the-sun/

What "numerous" studies have shown water in plastic bottles sitting in the sun cause cancer? Any links?

gorilla75jdw

I don't give a dayyumm wether the company provides water or not . Yes , they don't have to and I have my own like I stated in the above posts now atleast 3 times . What I do care about is my fellow brothers whom like most of you have not a clue . Keep drinking Kool aid and chive on .