Manager vs Hourly fb comments

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You'll say just about anything to hit 7000 won't ya pal...even if it's stupid and not funny.

BTW, it was glove not a shoe.
Yup and by the way I got several "Likes" from others who thought it was funny.
Step back and take a deep breath ... and laugh. It really does make you feel better.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Yup and by the way I got several "Likes" from others who thought it was funny.
Step back and take a deep breath ... and laugh. It really does make you feel better.

While you are ridiculing people with breathing issues, maybe you could do some United Way/UPS volunteering down at the local hospital and make fun of the lung cancer patients and people on ventilators, and on the way out pass by the childrens burn unit and try to get a few chuckles with your wit.

It's not a laughing matter. Gee you "got a few likes", Hitler had supporters too ya know.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Peak season, cold, 9 a.m., vents in building closed and fans off. Temp driver with cars @ him idling keels over in the package compartment of an open package car in front of a sup. Gets fresh air and a pat on the back and runs his route until noon when the nurse gets wind of the events. On-car has to drive the rest of the day while driver delivers. Drives on-car's pov back to the building and is told he won't be allowed to drive package until he has a complete neurological work up but is welcome to return to his job loading feeders. He finishes peak as a helper for another driver at less than his regular pay. Mentions OSHA to a Suit, passes a DOT physical and is now a full-time driver.

They don't care if you drop dead as long as it doesn't cost them much.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
While you are ridiculing people with breathing issues, maybe you could do some United Way/UPS volunteering down at the local hospital and make fun of the lung cancer patients and people on ventilators, and on the way out pass by the childrens burn unit and try to get a few chuckles with your wit.

It's not a laughing matter. Gee you "got a few likes", Hitler had supporters too ya know.

My sister has asthma and all the "jokes" are hers. She has a sense of humor and perspective.
Sorry if I offended you but I still don't believe you although I believe you are sincere.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The guy uploads a picture of him blowing blood out of his nose or mouth because of the conditions in the building and you respond with something like this? ...and you are a moderator on this site? That's absolutely pathetic.

I had three or four last week that looked worse than that. This time of the year people have sinus issues and sinusitis (which is what I had).
We had a couple of people who claimed we had "sick building" syndrome about 4 years ago and their discharge looked like that too.
Nothing was done to the building and they have been fine since. One of them went to another building last year and she was looking forward to getting out of the building.
I talked to her a couple weeks ago and she has the same issue.
Sorry but after 50 years of people being made sick by electrical lines, by saccharin, by aspartame, by apples, by broccoli, by second hand cigarette smoke, by city water, etc, one tends to get a bit jaded especially when expert authorities say there is not a problem.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Do you believe me? Cause the story I told should be way out there to you. But it did happen.

Sick building syndrome has always sounded like a load to me. But I try not to discount others' experience of something. We all bring a whole different story to a situation. Plus karma can be a real bitch.

How bout a little humanity? Is it so hard from your air conditioned office to imagine sitting in a dark metal box that spews poisonous gas 40 minutes a day in traffic with no air moving in 95 degree heat? Then spending the allotted 12 seconds looking for a package that turns out to be nowhere near where it should've. Then kneel down on the hot metal floor to straighten and tape a mangled package so it's presentable to the customer in 150 degrees.

All I want is a mounted fan in the cab of every package car. I even need it in the winter to diffuse the fumes of
the truck/bus/beater next to me. To me it's a safety issue. It's at least a respect issue. The contract leaves installation of mounted fans up to the individual district. IMO this needs to be changed. It would be kind and considerate of the company to initiate such behavior. But I don't expect that at all.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Do your job under those conditions, deliver up to a 150 lb package (hopefully to a nice customer), then get into an excrutiatingly hot truck and drive safely to do it all over again. If you're lucky the wind blows just the right way and you get a pleasant feeling.

All the while every move you make is being measured and beamed back for The Important/Intelligent People to monitor because you are unworthy of trust. They don't care to see how the maniacs around you are putting your life and their service in jeopardy.

Then let's talk about fair production standards.

Oh yeah. That's right. We get paid more than enough tolerate punishing conditions.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I know what your talking about with the fans, they aren't in our district, but package cars that have come into our district from somewhere else sometimes have them. I thought we did things UNIFORM!

As much as I'd love to spew everything out in this forum, this is far from being settled, so it would not be appropriate to speak of certain things. However, the facts in OUR building speak for themselves, with DOCUMENTED PROOF.

So why post here? Simple, many other UPSers are similarly situated, working in buildings that are not being ventilated to ANSI/ASHRAE Standards, International Mechanical Code Standards, and certainly not to MIOSHA standards. If people came down with diseases and illnesses and UPS was doing EVERYTHING by the book, there wouldn't be any room for improvement, however, as Jim Casey said, "If we can measure it, we can improve it!". SO I'm just building on HIS mission statement and, not only as a shareholder, but as an employee. My coworkers and I have the most amount of control over OUR environment. In my particular case, UPS went out of there way to make a bad condition worse, way worse, and it's never been PROPERLY corrected.

Air pollution in our buildings is not only coming from the vehicles that operate inside, but the heating systems that are also used as a ventilation system (which is against ANSI standards as well). UPS uses RE-Circulating Direct Fired Heaters, sound fancy? Think of your home furnace without a heat exchanger and spewing the products of combustion directly into your home. That is what these heaters do, they spew carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, ultrafine particulate, and MANY other HARMFUL air contaminants BESIDES all of the dust and vehicle exhaust inside of a UPS building. When these units are in RECIRCULATE mode they are actually circumventing ventilation to save on heating costs.

Think of it this way, for simplicity:

If we have 100,000 sq ft building, and have a 100,000 cfm unit bringing in 100% outside air, that would mean 1 cfm per sq ft.

If we have the same 100,000 sq.ft building with the 100,000 cfm unit dampered to just 20% outside air (as is UPS practice), that would mean just .2 cfm per sq ft, which is not nearly enough to provide a healthy work environment, let alone the toxic emissions these heaters emit in our breathing zones.

THIS IS WHY NIOSH needs to do an HHE, because NO HEALTH OFFICIALS HAVE EVER STUDIED THE HEALTH EFFECTS OF THESE UNITS!

AND just so you know, these units are not allowed to operate in Canada in this fashion, they are only allowed to operate in 100% outside air mode in MOST circumstances.

If I was the only 1 sick, I would think it was MY problem, but a cluster of the same illnesses, don't think so. If I'm wrong, then let NIOSH prove me wrong UPS!