managing the boss

upssup

Honestly, I look at it like I am here to support my mechanics and help them keep the cars running by making sure they have the parts, tools and supplies they need. I think they appreciate that approach and I have never had to have a cross word with any of them. They are all rock stars and I tell them that every opportunity I get!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Honestly, I look at it like I am here to support my mechanics and help them keep the cars running by making sure they have the parts, tools and supplies they need. I think they appreciate that approach and I have never had to have a cross word with any of them. They are all rock stars and I tell them that every opportunity I get!

You are a rarity. Now give them back their bench grinders!

upssup

Most of my mechanics have theirs. If they keep the safety shields on and at the right gaps, they get to keep them.

Omega man

OK, I am ready to answer this one now.

If I am asked to work that is one thing. If I am told that I will be working I would most certainly ask if everyone below me will be there as well.

Why would you not be consistent in both situations? It sounds like you are only concerned about yourself. You will not inquire whether the seniority of those above you has been violated when you can possibly take advantage of the situation but you will inquire when there is a situation where you may be taken advantage of. A good employee as well as a good Union member should have a sense of fairness about them. Not one who only cares about himself.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why would you not be consistent in both situations? It sounds like you are only concerned about yourself. You will not inquire whether the seniority of those above you has been violated when you can possibly take advantage of the situation but you will inquire when there is a situation where you may be taken advantage of. A good employee as well as a good Union member should have a sense of fairness about them. Not one who only cares about himself.

How UnAmerican!! It's all about ME!

or

as Steve would say, "It's all about me Sucka!"

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is not a secret that I am a UPSer first and a Teamster by default and, yes, many people care only about themselves.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've found that if I just mind my own business and follow the rules and methods of the job then everything usually falls into place. Its the people that don't follow those rules and methods, or only follow the ones they like and ignore the ones they don't, or just make up their own, that tend to get into these little debates. I know this because if they just did what they were supposed to do instead of doing their own thing then what would there be to argue about? Its that simple.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've found that if I just mind my own business and follow the rules and methods of the job then everything usually falls into place. Its the people that don't follow those rules and methods, or only follow the ones they like and ignore the ones they don't, or just make up their own, that tend to get into these little debates. I know this because if they just did what they were supposed to do instead of doing their own thing then what would there be to argue about? Its that simple.

Oh if that were only true.

Conflicting directions
extenuating circumstances
"Work as directed"
It's a crazy mixed up world we work in.
Our soul needs asylum.

Nimnim

The Nim
Perhaps it's because I'm still on inside operations, but I tend to prefer to show up, work, and give my supervision as much lip as possible while still maintaining the truth that I'm there to work hard and do my best to make sure service is made. I tend to get cut a lot of slack because of the results from said work. I know it's all a numbers game, I arrive, they tell me to do stuff, I do it, and they look good on paper and make money, and I don't get grief when I do slack off.

tieguy

Banned
Now if only the boss would listen to the front-line soldiers so he/she can make the right decision

as someone in that position I find I not only have to be a good listener but also able to explain why we do the things we do. Our people will generally support us if they understand the whys.

Nimnim

The Nim
as someone in that position I find I not only have to be a good listener but also able to explain why we do the things we do. Our people will generally support us if they understand the whys.

Yeah, sadly you and I both know, you're not always privy to the "why" to even pass it on so we can understand it. Gotta love multi-tier management at it's finest.

I'm trying to think of a why i'm not privy too, not coming up with anything?

Why don't you know right from wrong as a grown adult? Why do the majority of this company's managers feel its right to treat hourly workers with no dignity or respect and expect these very same people to treat you with any? Why do you discipline people for petty and trivial things to push them to panel to roll the dice for their job simply because they won't skip their lunch and run all day for you? Why do you steal money from people to make your numbers? Why haven't you or any manager within the last 10 years grown a pair and been a man for once in your life and stood up for your employees?

...Why did your CEO take a pay raise when he took yours away?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why don't you know right from wrong as a grown adult? He does

Why do the majority of this company's managers feel its right to treat hourly workers with no dignity or respect and expect these very same people to treat you with any? Respect is a two-way street. One's perception of this is also a reflection of themselves

Why do you discipline people for petty and trivial things to push them to panel to roll the dice for their job simply because they won't skip their lunch and run all day for you? Doesn't happen with Non-Union employees ... you figure it out.

Why do you steal money from people to make your numbers? He doesn't

Why haven't you or any manager within the last 10 years grown a pair and been a man for once in your life and stood up for your employees? He does for the one's that deserve it ... he is a discerning manager. I assume no one has done this for you .... hmmmm.

...Why did your CEO take a pay raise when he took yours away? The CEO does not do this ... the Compensation Committee which is a combination of outside experts, Board members and Management Committee members determine this.
Also, the CEO raise you mention was put into effect prior to the 2008 downturn. But it is still a good question.

pretzel_man

Why don't you know right from wrong as a grown adult? Why do the majority of this company's managers feel its right to treat hourly workers with no dignity or respect and expect these very same people to treat you with any? Why do you discipline people for petty and trivial things to push them to panel to roll the dice for their job simply because they won't skip their lunch and run all day for you? Why do you steal money from people to make your numbers? Why haven't you or any manager within the last 10 years grown a pair and been a man for once in your life and stood up for your employees?

...Why did your CEO take a pay raise when he took yours away?

There is a huge difference between not knowing why something is happening and not liking an answer or not agreeing with a reason.

Often people say that they do not know why, when they really mean they don't like a decision.

As Tie said, I cannot think of a time when I asked "why" and my boss would not tell me. I can think of lots of times when I didn't like the decision.

As a management person, its my job to answer the question when you ask why. I will give you an honest answer and if I don't know will say so and then go find out. If a management person doesn't do that, they are the problem.

By the way, take a look at the questions you asked.... Of course you know that these are not questions at all. They are called "logical fallacies" (complex questions) or rhetoric. By definition, they don't require a response.

If a real question is asked I would do my best to answer.

P-Man

Returntosender

According to an Associated Press article (August 19, 2009), the lawsuit was filed by Laura Meza, a UPS employee since 2005, and alleges that UPS does not pay overtime to account managers who perform door-to-door sales pitches to potential business clients. The plaintiff claims she and other account managers were classified as exempt from overtime pay but, since they do not actually make sales—they simply promote the company's products—or perform managerial work, they should not be classified as administrative or outside salespeople and should therefore be paid overtime wages for hours worked in excess of 40 per week

A class action lawsuit has been filed against United Parcel Service UPS in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York over its Next Day Air Service, according to a class action news report.
The United Parcel Service UPS class action lawsuit complaint reportedly alleges that plaintffs paid a premium for Next Day Air Service but did not receive such service from UPS.

I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

According to an Associated Press article (August 19, 2009), the lawsuit was filed by Laura Meza, a UPS employee since 2005, and alleges that UPS does not pay overtime to account managers who perform door-to-door sales pitches to potential business clients. The plaintiff claims she and other account managers were classified as exempt from overtime pay but, since they do not actually make sales—they simply promote the company's products—or perform managerial work, they should not be classified as administrative or outside salespeople and should therefore be paid overtime wages for hours worked in excess of 40 per week

A class action lawsuit has been filed against United Parcel Service UPS in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York over its Next Day Air Service, according to a class action news report.
The United Parcel Service UPS class action lawsuit complaint reportedly alleges that plaintffs paid a premium for Next Day Air Service but did not receive such service from UPS.

I

Both of these issues have been discussed at length on this forum in the past. Account managers are salary plus commission and thus are not entitled to overtime. The NDA class action suit has no basis. UPS guarantees delivery commit times but does not specify mode of shipment. If we are able to transport NDA or any other premium product by ground and still get it delivered on time that is simply good business.

JonFrum

Both of these issues have been discussed at length on this forum in the past. Account managers are salary plus commission and thus are not entitled to overtime. The NDA class action suit has no basis. UPS guarantees delivery commit times but does not specify mode of shipment. If we are able to transport NDA or any other premium product by ground and still get it delivered on time that is simply good business.
You don't think calling it NEXT DAY AIR and SECOND DAY AIR, and charging more, and requiring AIR paperwork, then sending it by ground, is misleading and dishonest?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't think calling it NEXT DAY AIR and SECOND DAY AIR, and charging more, and requiring AIR paperwork, then sending it by ground, is misleading and dishonest?

Misleading perhaps but not dishonest.

Shippers with daily pickup accounts have time in transit maps which show how long a ground shipment would take to get from Point A to Point B. I will use my area as an example. I am in the northeast corner of NY. Our 1 day transit area covers New England, New York (except for NYC) and parts of PA. Unless the recipient needs the pkg by 1030 there really is no need to send it overnight. Overnight packages for most of this area are loaded on the end of a feeder for processing in either Albany or Syracuse.

I deliver to our local Sam's Club. They had a shipment of 16 cases of pizza boxes on Friday. 10 were sent ground and 6 were sent NDA. They all were shipped on Thursday out of MA and all arrived the following day. Did we make an (unfair) profit on the 6 NDA packages? Sure but we simply held up our end of the contract the shipper signed with us when they processed their package. No where in that contract did it mention mode of shipment.

When you pay for Next Day Air, but we use a truck to get it there--that's logistics.