Managment offered me a BRIBE today to withdraw grievance Preload????

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
One day, you will realize that you guys are your own worst enemies...

One day, you will realize that if it weren't for guys like us and many other before, guys like you would be making minimum wage with no benefits.
Then again, you may be able to retire without ever realizing it.
Your children on the other hand...???

Gazelle

Race me!
May I just quote you as saying she is using the pictures to bribe you into withdraw your previous grievances.... I believe you mean blackmail.

bribe: the offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of any item of value to influence the actions of an official or other person in charge.

blackmail: is a crime involving unjustified threats to make a gain or cause loss to another unless a demand is met.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
May I just quote you as saying she is using the pictures to bribe you into withdraw your previous grievances.... I believe you mean blackmail.

bribe: the offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of any item of value to influence the actions of an official or other person in charge.

blackmail: is a crime involving unjustified threats to make a gain or cause loss to another unless a demand is met.

Coerce or coercion works also.
No matter what you call it, it's dirty pool and a slippery slope that should be avoided in all instances.

Leftinbuilding

excellent point! Perfect as i am offically writing up my grievance now for this event and i will be sure to use the word BLACKMAIL in it...thanks again

Or, it could be called.........negotiation. Such a nicer sounding word than, "bribery", "coercion", or "blackmail". That will be her claim...
she was trying to negotiate an amicable settlement. Hearing adjourned.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
One day, you will realize that if it weren't for guys like us and many other before, guys like you would be making minimum wage with no benefits.
Then again, you may be able to retire without ever realizing it.
Your children on the other hand...???

What are guys like me? Honest? Hard working? Earned everything I've received? Personable? Approachable? Never asked for handouts? Level headed? Strive to better my surroundings? Forward thinking? Take pride in maintaining my personal integrity? Take the blame when it's my fault? Don't look for the easy way out? Actually care about what I do? Expect the best from my own employees? Thick skinned? Mentally stable?

The only people I have to thank for anything are the people who raised me. I'm pretty sure you had nothing to do with my compensation. No more, at least, than what I have worked for over the years myself...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What are guys like me? Honest? Hard working? Earned everything I've received? Personable? Approachable? Never asked for handouts? Level headed? Strive to better my surroundings? Forward thinking? Take pride in maintaining my personal integrity? Take the blame when it's my fault? Don't look for the easy way out? Actually care about what I do? Expect the best from my own employees? Thick skinned? Mentally stable?

The only people I have to thank for anything are the people who raised me. I'm pretty sure you had nothing to do with my compensation. No more, at least, than what I have worked for over the years myself...

Guys like you are guys who don't appreciate the sacrifices that are being made by the OP as well as the sacrifices that have been made by our predecessors.
This is evident by your post to ORLY, somebody who was advocating acting collectively:

One day, you will realize that you guys are your own worst enemies...

Unfortunately, everything you claim to be means nothing if not for collective actions and bargaining.
Perhaps I missed your point?
Perhaps you are in management?
How are we our own worst enemies?

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Guys like you are guys who don't appreciate the sacrifices that are being made by the OP as well as the sacrifices that have been made by our predecessors.
This is evident by your post to ORLY, somebody who was advocating acting collectively:

Unfortunately, everything you claim to be means nothing if not for collective actions and bargaining.
Perhaps I missed your point?
Perhaps you are in management?
How are we our own worst enemies?

Of course I'm in management, how many employees do hourlies have??? But I also worked my way up from the lowest of the ranks. I remember where I came from, and I know the ultimate successes and failures of the union as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, most of the stuff coming from me is just a matter of playing some devil's advocate. I have had to deal with working under some pretty horrible people who spit on words like 'integrity' and 'honesty'...so I know where this guy is coming from. I don't know about making sacrifices? I've made just as many as anyone else throughout the years. Think about how much harder it is for a management person to try and deal with harassment without the help of a union. I'm also trying to point out that he is putting some things into a context that won't help his case as it will make it look like he is just Union Guy #546923 who just wants to file a grievance as soon as some dirtbag from management looks at him wrong. That isn't how things should be done. As far as what we've found out about his situation so far, the outlook doesn't look to be in his favor...and will ultimately (probably) make things worse.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubblehead,
LongTimeComing has written multiple times that he's a long-time PT supervisor.

It's not surprising, with his self proclaimed credentials and obvious intangibles, that he hasn't rapidly climbed the company ladder.

These are obviously not qualities UPS looks for in their full time managers.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Your cynicism is making you look pathetic. These self proclamations are no more off base than when you claimed that you were owed credit for anyone elses success.

The time that I have waited for my pending promotion has more to do with our economy and it's problems since 2008, not because Darth Vader and his minions run UPS management. Furthermore....I work in air, an area that is very, very different than package or normal ground operations. Things work differently here. Don't assume to understand things that you know nothing about.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Your cynicism is making you look pathetic. These self proclamations are no more off base than when you claimed that you were owed credit for anyone elses success.

The time that I have waited for my pending promotion has more to do with our economy and it's problems since 2008, not because Darth Vader and his minions run UPS management. Furthermore....I work in air, an area that is very, very different than package or normal ground operations. Things work differently here. Don't assume to understand things that you know nothing about.

I'll disagree with you here. My closest friend (we grew up together, hired into the same co-op program) waited several years to go into FT management, ultimately accepting a job with FedEx Ground. These were during the economic boom years, when UPS was adding drivers & management like crazy here. More recently, I work with a group of PT supervisors who've had their panel interviews & been told "...any day now," and they too have been waiting since at least 2008, despite a fair number of managerial positions being filled with off-the-street hires, as well as FT drivers-turned-management. So even though I work in ground operations, and you in air, things don't work differently in this regard.

Don't get me wrong, I have tremendous respect for you & your postings -- not because of your job title or anything, but because you're one of the few people on here who can write a thoughtful, educated response. With your credentials (e.g. more than a decade in management with UPS), you're likely to find oodles of opportunities waiting for you. And opportunity cost would suggest that you look into this.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

No, my cynicism is making you look pathetic.
It hasn't been hard.
They are your words after all that I'm referencing.
The economy is down since 2008, but UPS has not been.
Maybe you are being played?

I work in air, an area that is very, very different than package or normal ground operations. Things work differently here. Don't assume to understand things that you know nothing about.

Follow your own advice and don't pretend to know about normal ground operations in regards to union actions.
Things work very, very different here than in air.
Don't assume to understand things you know nothing about.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The economy is down since 2008, but UPS has not been.

That's not true. Since 2009, UPS has underwent consolidation re-districting (my district was twice folded into larger districts) that eliminated many redundant FT managerial positions. They've also slashed FT jobs; for example, we have a smaller on-car supervisor to driver ration, our Preload went from two managers to one -- with most neighboring facilities losing their manager altogether -- and every local sort/twilight in my area (sans a hub) lost its FT management. Additionally, the number of centers in our building went from three to two, eliminating quite a few redundant jobs.

They also planned on using PT supervisors to replace most FT on-car supervisors here, but apparently their experiments with doing so in the NE tanked and they abandoned those plans. At least for now.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's not true. Since 2009, UPS has underwent consolidation re-districting (my district was twice folded into larger districts) that eliminated many redundant FT managerial positions. They've also slashed FT jobs; for example, we have a smaller on-car supervisor to driver ration, our Preload went from two managers to one -- with most neighboring facilities losing their manager altogether -- and every local sort/twilight in my area (sans a hub) lost its FT management. Additionally, the number of centers in our building went from three to two, eliminating quite a few redundant jobs.

They also planned on using PT supervisors to replace most FT on-car supervisors here, but apparently their experiments with doing so in the NE tanked and they abandoned those plans. At least for now.

UPS has posted solid earnings every quarter during the period referenced, record profits of late.
Whether the company finally decided to downsize their bloated managerial ranks during this period does not negate this fact.
LongTimeComing is blaming his stalled career on the down economy instead of a corporate restructuring and managerial downsizing.
I'm not rooting against him, especially if he is all he says he is.
I simply took umbrage in his assertion on union minded Teamsters like ORLY, fightthegoodfight, and myself being our own worse enemies.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
You guys seem to be your own worst enemy due to the fact that you seem to have this blind refusal for any 'give and take' with management whatsoever. I think the word someone else used was "Negotiate". Instead, you stretch as far as you can to find ways to further agitate the situation...

As far as my 'stalled' career goes....You don't think the economical downturn had any responsibility in UPS's actions? I'm not a maroon. I know the restructuring and downsizing had loads to do with it. What do you think that is from? When do you think that stuff started? You think I have been holding my breath? No....what I have been doing is waiting patiently for the promotion during a time that saw people being let go, laid off, paid off, bought out, re-positioned, reassigned, demoted, and plain old fired. Would you expect me to say "Screw them 10 years!!! I can find a 60k job anywherez!!!!"? Would you expect me to DEMAND that I deserve to be promoted in the midst of people's lives being changed due to our company's reaction to the economy? I have learned to appreciate the things that I have. I have learned to not take things for granted. I'm not going to put my pouty-face on and try to stick it to the man.

I've worked in Air now for 8 years. I started and worked for 3 years in a major GROUND hub. I've worked nearly everywhere in ground, including delivery. I am as qualified to make educated assessments of both sides of the fence as anyone. You, on the other hand, have shown no knowledge of the air division. There is a HUGE learning curve to work at a gateway and deal with the metric tons of certifications and training required. It's like a different planet. They can't drop any Joe Shmo FT sup into the position and expect any success. This is where I come in. My current full timer is retiring in March. Guess who's position that becomes?

Last edited:

fightingthegoodfight

Look as far as my case goes if i take her to panel i will have 4 ART 37 grievances about yelling name calling mockery intimidation and down right degration...this will be the 4th about retaleation and blackmail...i have a number a SUPS working grievances and about 2 or 3 ART 37 grievances from the other steward stated her calling us "poison to the building" about 3 or 4 reported 1800 numbers made from different employees (machanic and OMS)

All she has on me are these pictures and a write up for misloads that i am contested

Suppose Taken to panel tomorrow how would this go????

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
HEY!!!! If you would leave us alone and let us DO OUR JOBS!!!!!!!Things would be much smoother...Dont tie your tie so tight ...It cuts the blood flow off to your brain!!!

PT sups don't wear ties....

This has nothing to do with letting you do your jobs. It's about overreaction to management doing their jobs and holding you accountable. So many people expect to work, and never, ever, ever, ever be talked to. About anything. Ever. And if they do.... HARASSMENT!!!!