Managment says I need to drive more Saturdays to prove I can do full-time dirivng.

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Bitcoinz, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Bitcoinz

Bitcoinz They wanted my "Avatar" pic.

This is my first post, so hello to everyone :). I've been with brown for just over 6 years now.

First off you should know there has been a huge hiring spurt going on at our hub for part-times and full-time drivers. As of Monday, I will be the next person in seniority to go driving.

Today I was approached by one of veteran workers (but not full-time) who told me I that she was relaying a message from my BA that I need to work more Saturdays to prove that I can do full-time.

Do I HAVE to work Saturdays in order to get a shot at the 30/40 day driving probation ?

This doesn't sound right. Mind you I have already done 4 Saturdays including the crazy day before mothers day which was an 8:30 hour day.

Tomorrow I will call my BA and ask him about this. Just seeking some advice from some veterans. Thanks!
  2. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Saturday driving has nothing to do with getting qualified as a full time driver but it is a chance to gain experience making it easier for you to qualify as a driver. You can become a full time driver with absolutely no experience as an air driver, but Saturday air is an easy way to learn the basics.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Sounds like the person that approached you wants a 3 day weekend at your expense. All offers to go FT or pt driving are bid by senority.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

There is no requirement to work Saturday Air unless you are a PT air driver or exception air driver. It is good advice though to get as much experience in as you can before trying to qualify. I tell this to guys all the time that if they are considering FT driving to drive on Saturday to get used to the package cars and the DIAD. Nobody listens.
  5. Inthegame

Inthegame Well-Known Member

Mr Jack hit it but if you're calling your BA, do it now. not tomorrow, July 4th.
  6. Bitcoinz

Bitcoinz They wanted my "Avatar" pic.

Also, do you guys maybe have an advice for new drivers passing that probation period? Besides don't hit anything? :)
  7. PT Car Washer

Yeah, Start driving on Saturdays.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

You're not willing to sacrifice a few hours on a Saturday...but you want to drive FT and be out till 9 or 10 every night?
  9. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I would rather work 5 10 hour days than 5 8's and a 5
  10. I bet you your ba never said anything remotely like that or anything close to that.
  11. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Agreed...I work 6 days a week and it blows. But if it's a temporary means to an end....suck it up.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I work 8 days a week.
  13. greengrenades

greengrenades To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Whatever happened to signing a bid sheet and going down the list? This is how it's suppose to be. If you can pass your road test you go to class you pass that you go driving with the whole 30 day probation. Simple as that. I'm wondering what is going on to make this a confusing process for people.
  14. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

I've been saying this over and over and over and over again in sever different threads......
  15. Sounds like......:bsbullf:to me.....just saying.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. greengrenades

greengrenades To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

I've noticed the past few years the bidding process is getting more and more confusing. It shouldn't be hard. And there should be no ass kissing or extra work to be done. It goes by seniority and these young guys need to start kicking managements ass.
  17. bumped

bumped Well-Known Member

I disagree with most of the above comments.

I've seen way too many people get into an accident doing Saturday air. Then, you can't bid on full-time for a year. Put the extra effort in during your 30 day probation rather that working Saturday air. Anyways, I sure the hell don't want to be forced to work on Christmas Eve.

Running Saturday air has no bearing on signing a bid sheet for full time.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. PT Car Washer

I agree running Saturday Air does not help you with seniority. But it puts you way above the learning curve.
  19. Brown stains

Brown stains Active Member

Little advice if u do become full time and Xmas eve is on any day between
    Monday and Friday you will work ,,,and any day after holiday you. Will be forced to work ..low guys on the pole work these days

CHALLY9TX Active Member

Some people can't handle the jump from sat air to full time driving. They get too used to how easy sat air is...

Sent using BrownCafe App