Mandatory 1 Hour Breaks?

R

RuralRoute

Was on road this morning and got a broadcast on the PowerPad from the station manager. She said all employees were to make sure and take a one hour break, no exceptions. Now we all know the break rules--30 mins for 6 hrs, 1 hr for 8 hrs-- so I didn't think much of it as I take mine around 1145-1245 everyday, depending on the volume. Nevertheless, I was a little confused as to why she needed to tell everyone about the rule.

When I came back this evening, I overheard some part-timers talking about the break message and complaining about how they had to take a full hour break even though they would only get 5 hours of work for the day. Some of these drivers are new and not fully aware of the break rules, so this made me furious. Apparently, the senior manager for our district wants to eliminate on-road hours and thinks that having ALL drivers take an hour break will do the trick. Of course, breaks taken on-road DO reduce hours more "efficiently" for station budget as opposed to in-station breaks, but at the expense of the employee. Where do these higher-ups get off!? I QUICKLY informed the part time drivers of the rule and told them to only take an hour break if they work 8 hours, regardless of what management says. POLICY overrides management, and POLICY states the break rule listed at the beginning of my post.

It just keeps getting better folks. Management will do just about ANYTHING to make the station "numbers" and budget look just dandy to their superiors it seems. Anyone else seeing this? If so, PLEASE inform the less-informed.

SmithBarney

I think sometimes managers "forget" that everyone sees these messages. The rule is as your stated between 6 and 8, 30min required, over 8 1hr required(unless approved by mgr) no exceptions, the rule never changes except for peak, there are no rules.

SmithBarney

I am only 2 weeks in with UPS. Where would I go to learn these break rules?
Definitely don't go to the FedEx Part of the Forums.. ;) As for UPS I believe the rule is break 1hr. between 3rd and 6th hour... but you better ask in the UPS part of the forums...or your manager.

R

RuralRoute

Rover, the rules may vary between UPS and FedEx, so I'd check with a current or former UPS employee. Also, the rules vary from state to state I believe. Most follow the same set, but I work in TN and I know that OSHA requires 30 minute break for 6 hours worked, with break to be taken in between but NOT the first or last hour of work. Same applies for 8 hours worked, 1 hour break.

R

RuralRoute

I think sometimes managers "forget" that everyone sees these messages. The rule is as your stated between 6 and 8, 30min required, over 8 1hr required(unless approved by mgr) no exceptions, the rule never changes except for peak, there are no rules.

Yeah, I'm hoping that the message wasn't intended for the PT drivers. Wouldn't be surprised though, I've seen management tell Handlers that come in around 1700 to go on break when waiting for late drivers to return. That kind of stuff gets me hot.

Purplepackage

Worked 10 hours today with a 30 minute break, of course frieght was extremely late and we didn't leave the building till 10

I swear every other week either Indy or Memphis are having "storms" that just screw us

Express Courier

I saw the same messages this week. They never :censored2: with me for some reason though. I work 9+ hours all the time with only a half and they say nothing to me lol.

jagoff

They just reinstated the 1 hour break rule at my station last week. The SM said it will be on a month to month basis and if we hit our on road goals he will drop it back to only a 1/2 hour.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Worked 10 hours today with a 30 minute break, of course frieght was extremely late and we didn't leave the building till 10

I swear every other week either Indy or Memphis are having "storms" that just screw us
A lot of those so-called storms are the result of a once dedicated company that rests on the laurels of its former self or has just given up or both.

El Morado Diablo

Freight was late (no deliveries before 10am) and heavy today. Our manager was asking everyone to take 15 extra minutes of break so we could hit the station numbers. Who are they kidding? If you are already over your numbers, take a short or normal break and make it back to the reload on a day like today you are going to exceed the station goal for the day. I'm not giving you an extra 15 minutes to make the numbers look even better.

dezguy

Freight was late (no deliveries before 10am) and heavy today. Our manager was asking everyone to take 15 extra minutes of break so we could hit the station numbers. Who are they kidding? If you are already over your numbers, take a short or normal break and make it back to the reload on a day like today you are going to exceed the station goal for the day. I'm not giving you an extra 15 minutes to make the numbers look even better.
It's always hilarious when they want you to give them another 15 minutes of your time. Unfortunately, like Route 66 said, there are people who actually go for it.

hypo hanna

Ok, I see what's in it for station mgmt, but what's in it for the drivers? That should be the hourlies first question. Of course we know the answer is not a damn thing but fun to make them squirm just the same.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
This failed at HD miserably. We take our breaks whenever we want. We're " independent vendors" anyways lol

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Your manager was pretty much asking everybody to falsify. And let's say everybody did, then hit the numbers. Well then next month the bar would be raised even higher. Then what should everybody do? Work off the clock all day?

This fixation with station numbers and goals is like quicksand and showcases the sickness that originates in Memphis.

Last edited:

DRAisawesome

If you are doing what you are supposed too. It doesn't matter if you take any break or not. SPH are SPH. Only way to get more SPH is less miles per stop but that's not happening with all the resi Amazon. Memphis doesn't know what to do so they throw spaghetti at the fridge and hope it sticks.