Mandatory Saturday sort?

Neutz55

I am in a bit of a tricky situation. I graduate from college on Saturday and will be walking with friends and family in attendance. Tonight before going to bed I call the start time log for the week and hear the following. Monday- Thursday 4pm Friday-430 and.... Saturday 430?!?! Can they actually force me to work on a Saturday? If your answer has anything to do with seniority I have been with the company since August 2011. I tried to look it up in the contract but couldn't find it. All answers are appreciated and thank you in advance.

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
If you must have that day off DO NOT call in sick. Simply call in that day, state your name and inform management (don't ask them) that you can't work due to personal reasons. You don't have to give tell them anymore than that and don't let it turn into a discussion. It will only count as an absence, hopefully you don't currently have an absenteeism issue.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First off----congratulations on earning your degree. You should absolutely attend the commencement ceremony.

Did you take advantage of tuition reimbursement through UPS while working toward that degree? If so, they will know that you have been going to school and will understand why you need the day off.

DO NOT wait until Friday to mention this to your supervisor. Go to work tomorrow with a copy of the commencement information and tell him how important it is to you and your family that you attend. Hopefully they will excuse you for the day; if not, you have a decision to make.

Neutz55

If you must have that day off DO NOT call in sick. Simply call in that day, state your name and inform management (don't ask them) that you can't work due to personal reasons. You don't have to give tell them anymore than that and don't let it turn into a discussion. It will only count as an absence, hopefully you don't currently have an absenteeism issue.
Thank you for your answer

Neutz55

First off----congratulations on earning your degree. You should absolutely attend the commencement ceremony.

Did you take advantage of tuition reimbursement through UPS while working toward that degree? If so, they will know that you have been going to school and will understand why you need the day off.

DO NOT wait until Friday to mention this to your supervisor. Go to work tomorrow with a copy of the commencement information and tell him how important it is to you and your family that you attend. Hopefully they will excuse you for the day; if not, you have a decision to make.
Oh you bet I did, still got one more to collect as well. Thank you for your response. Quick question, they really can make me work on a Saturday, I thought it was detailed in the contract somewhere that a scheduled work week was Monday through Friday?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I am in a bit of a tricky situation. I graduate from college on Saturday and will be walking with friends and family in attendance. Tonight before going to bed I call the start time log for the week and hear the following. Monday- Thursday 4pm Friday-430 and.... Saturday 430?!?! Can they actually force me to work on a Saturday? If your answer has anything to do with seniority I have been with the company since August 2011. I tried to look it up in the contract but couldn't find it. All answers are appreciated and thank you in advance.
What did your union steward say about working Saturdays when you asked him??

You've worked here for 4 years, and are about to be a college graduate.... and yet you don't have the common sense to direct your question to your steward, instead of random strangers on the internet??

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I skipped my graduation ceremony. My "department ceremony" was disgusting enough and I walked out during a presentation of the "best" senior thesis. It all ended up being a giant circle jerk and an effort to juice me for another $300 for a cap and gown.

That being said, since you're not a seasonal just bang in and tell them to pound sand. Worst that'll happen is a write up. I guarantee that you won't be the only absent employee on Saturday.

Neutz55

I skipped my graduation ceremony. My "department ceremony" was disgusting enough and I walked out during a presentation of the "best" senior thesis. It all ended up being a giant circle jerk and an effort to juice me for another $300 for a cap and gown.

That being said, since you're not a seasonal just bang in and tell them to pound sand. Worst that'll happen is a write up. I guarantee that you won't be the only absent employee on Saturday.
Lol I enjoyed this post, I am graduating cum laude so I got invited to a "special" alumni reception right after graduation. I'll bet my degree I get hit up for a donation.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Where I'm at they can only schedule you to work 5 days a week. They can be any 5 days during the week, but only 5 in a week.

PT Scheduling is different area-to-area. In the Atlantic Area, we have to have a consecutive work week but can be worked a 6th day at straight pay and a 7th as double time. Many other areas have time and a half for a sixth day but there's generally very little scheduling protection for part-timers across the board.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Lol I enjoyed this post, I am graduating cum laude so I got invited to a "special" alumni reception right after graduation. I'll bet my degree I get hit up for a donation.

I was called my school's alumni affairs office while I was on vacation and buying 5 lbs of steaks. I was in such a good mood, I donated $25. Now they won't leave me alone, just an FYI.

Neutz55

No, they can force you to work on Saturday.
What did your union steward say about working Saturdays when you asked him??

You've worked here for 4 years, and are about to be a college graduate.... and yet you don't have the common sense to direct your question to your steward, instead of random strangers on the internet??
If you notice the time stamp on the post it was posted early this morning, which is Sunday. I am unable to see my steward until the start of my normal work week which is m-friend, I am trying to plan out everything for graduation and this whole mess throws a wrench in those plans. So I admittedly turned to my last option which is this sight. Everyone else has been most helpful. Sorry if I offended you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
PT Scheduling is different area-to-area. In the Atlantic Area, we have to have a consecutive work week but can be worked a 6th day at straight pay and a 7th as double time. Many other areas have time and a half for a sixth day but there's generally very little scheduling protection for part-timers across the board.
My local supplement is pretty good at protecting the schedules of PTers....I gotta say. We even get FT holiday pay for Christmas and new years.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you notice the time stamp on the post it was posted early this morning, which is Sunday. I am unable to see my steward until the start of my normal work week which is m-friend, I am trying to plan out everything for graduation and this whole mess throws a wrench in those plans. So I admittedly turned to my last option which is this sight. Everyone else has been most helpful. Sorry if I offended you.
You should have your steward's phone #....you never know when you may need it.