Manual Trannys in your center?

Rico

Back when I satarted in the mid 80's, the only package car that had power steering was the one P 1100 or center had. It also had a fan on the dash. Even with the PS, the thing was a beast.

Notretiredyet

Back in September or October, all of our bid routes had a car with PS, surprising percentage have autos. We have 3 or 4 manual steering/HS PCs left and they are all getting crushed before spring.

I was covering a feeder job last summer and noticed the rows of brand new PCs at the hubs. Walked through 1 center and it looked like more than half were non PS, manual trans PCs.

In our area, out state centers get the newest equipment 1st and the crap all trickles through my center on the way to the hub.

I was wondering if the contract covered replacing the POS cars, as it seemed that after July, there was lots of brand new PCs at the hubs.
Article 18 Sec14 covers this in new agreement, but they've got till end of contract to do it. By then they'll all be gone anyway. We have a bunch of manual steering dinosaurs around here.

FilingBluesFL

We've got two of those fancy new Euro-Style cars in our center.

I was on it yesterday, and it's just a horrible car. The Four Ways switch and the Ignition switch are a foot and a half away from the wheel, on the center of the dash... Right behind the cup holder.

That bulkhead door is pretty dang narrow, and some larger things you just can't get out like you can other cars.

The side doors don't completely pocket in to the side of the car. So there's about 6 inches of door in the doorway, and it's got a nice, big corner right where your face would be if you misstep or slip on the stairs on your way out.

The shelves are lower, and you can look down on them... but for me to get the center shelf, I have to bend over a little bit. At the back of the car, If I'm not careful while the door is rolled up, I can almost bang my head on it.

Has a nice hand rail, though.

It's got that two second delay when you mash down the gas.

On a freshly re-sealed parking lot, you can spin the tires.

On a WET resealed parking lot, the rear end will step out on you, and drift lol

wayfair

swollen member
The PC I had before the current one, had an 8.2l chevy big block with dual exhaust... omg it was so fun to drive... I now drive a CNG 1000, takes longer to start but gets the job done

oldngray

nowhere special

I was on it yesterday, and it's just a horrible car. The Four Ways switch and the Ignition switch are a foot and a half away from the wheel, on the center of the dash... Right behind the cup holder.

That bulkhead door is pretty dang narrow, and some larger things you just can't get out like you can other cars.

The side doors don't completely pocket in to the side of the car. So there's about 6 inches of door in the doorway, and it's got a nice, big corner right where your face would be if you misstep or slip on the stairs on your way out.

The shelves are lower, and you can look down on them... but for me to get the center shelf, I have to bend over a little bit. At the back of the car, If I'm not careful while the door is rolled up, I can almost bang my head on it.

A UPS drift car?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I deliver NDA to our local Walgreens-----why does it take them so long to open their door?

Really... you wait? I knock fill out notice and leave. I guarantee you, they will run to get their checks next time I have them. Sorry the rest of my customers can't wait for someone to answer a door.

Our center also has no manuals. For just about 10 yrs now. Got a 06 international that can turn circles around most driveways. Oh --- the heat it has. Open the window to keep me from sweating. We'll see for this week with the frigid temps this week. Having a 3 day weekend was awesome.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The new "skinny" P-700's with the pocket rear doors and single axles are pure junk. They were obviously designed by someone who never actually worked in one. They have the turning radius of a full-sized school bus; they get stuck on wet pavement or grass; the bulkhead door is too narrow; and the wheel well is only about 8" wide in the package compartment, so anything that the loader tries to put on it just falls off and winds up lying in the middle of the floor for the driver to trip over. We have constant issues with small packages and envelopes getting stuck in the rear door tracks. Their long and narrow wheelbase causes them to handle like crap at highway speeds when fully loaded. Every once in awhile when my regular car gets pulled for maintainence I will wind up with one of these POS's by mistake, and it's a constant struggle on my rural route to keep from getting stuck.

oldngray

nowhere special
The new "skinny" P-700's with the pocket rear doors and single axles are pure junk. They were obviously designed by someone who never actually worked in one. They have the turning radius of a full-sized school bus; they get stuck on wet pavement or grass; the bulkhead door is too narrow; and the wheel well is only about 8" wide in the package compartment, so anything that the loader tries to put on it just falls off and winds up lying in the middle of the floor for the driver to trip over. We have constant issues with small packages and envelopes getting stuck in the rear door tracks. Their long and narrow wheelbase causes them to handle like crap at highway speeds when fully loaded. Every once in awhile when my regular car gets pulled for maintainence I will wind up with one of these POS's by mistake, and it's a constant struggle on my rural route to keep from getting stuck.

That remind me of the early 500's that could barely turn and had skinny wheels with lousy traction. One would think UPS should have learned from experience but apparently not.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

Refuse to take it. I have done it twice. Will keep my international over any new truck. Just had my motor replaced. After 300k

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
And yet they bought them anyway. I wonder how much trial is put to equipment before large numbers are purchased.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
That remind me of the early 500's that could barely turn and had skinny wheels with lousy traction. One would think UPS should have learned from experience but apparently not.
Drivers would continually complain about the grabby brakes. At the same time I had 509968 and 508869.Try keeping that straight in a hurry.

S

selfcancelsignal

Our center has 24 regular routes. 19 autos. & 5 sticks. A few extras that are all sticks. 1 nice auto. air car out of 2 & 1 nice auto. straight truck out of 3 or 4. All are PS. They brought in 2 NPS for summer season. Hauled them out about as fast. Went out 1 day in 1. Brutal. High step, 4 speed, the clutch was a monster to push in. Other drivers were trying to flat out ruin these 2 cars. Perhaps that's why they were hauled off.

What is with poor turning radius? Is that a feature that when they make the vehicle they say, "Ok, they want it cheaper, so we'll just make the turning radius worse.".? We have a few pkg. cars where this is a problem, but where I noticed it was driving a uhaul during peak. I bet I drove 5 during peak & none of them had a turning radius to turn around in ANY cul de sac. Garbage! Kinda sucked getting the no heat of a brown back after peak, but LOVED having a turning radius again!

soberups

What is with poor turning radius? Is that a feature that when they make the vehicle they say, "Ok, they want it cheaper, so we'll just make the turning radius worse.".? We have a few pkg. cars where this is a problem, but where I noticed it was driving a uhaul during peak. I bet I drove 5 during peak & none of them had a turning radius to turn around in ANY cul de sac. Garbage! Kinda sucked getting the no heat of a brown back after peak, but LOVED having a turning radius again!

The poor turning radius is due to the long, skinny wheelbase. If you park one of these cars next to a standard P-700 with dual rear wheels, it is about 3 feet longer and 18" narrower. My guess is that the company was looking to maximize the number of cars it could cram on to a load line.

govols019

You smell that?
Really... you wait? I knock fill out notice and leave. I guarantee you, they will run to get their checks next time I have them. Sorry the rest of my customers can't wait for someone to answer the door

That's how I broke my Walgreens from that crap. They now welcome me in the front door with a smile.

PT Car Washer

Walgreens are the worst. Don't come to the front door, and then don't answer the back door. And if you don't wait we will call in. Make you go to the back and still will not answer the back door. And then they say only the manager can sign for deliveries.

Indecisi0n

Walgreens are the worst. Don't come to the front door, and then don't answer the back door. And if you don't wait we will call in. Make you go to the back and still will not answer the back door. And then they say only the manager can sign for deliveries.

Easy ,info notice and leave (not ready). Need you to go back? Sure I'll see you at 2000 after the route is done. After a few times of this I'm sure they will catch on. You need to train customers like dogs.

soberups

And once you have gone through all of that, if there winds up being one for the pharmacy they will make you drive around to the front door, walk in with it, and then take it all the way to the back for the pharmacist to sign. You can easily piss away 20 minutes driving around and jumping thru all the hoops at a Walgreens, they are almost as bad as WalMart when it comes to jerking us around and wasting our time.