Manual transmission

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by poophappens, Mar 30, 2014.

1. poophappens

poophappens Member

I've learned to almost never use the clutch with the exception of turning on the vehicle. Anyone else do this? P.S. My dad drove for 25 years and had 3 knee surgeries (2 on the left) mainly from the clutch so I figured it's like looking into the future and have to do something about it. Don't use the clutch!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App
  2. mdnj88

mdnj88 Active Member

I only use clutch to start and from 1st to 2nd...everything else I float it. The 113 diesels give me most trouble with no clutch.
  3. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

I use it to start moving in first, or drop into reverse, other than that, no clutch
  4. I used to do that but tore up my shoulder trying to jam it into gear.

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Just remember 1st and Reverse are not synchronized on a GMC, so they will grind no matter how far you press the clutch. You must come to a complete stop for either gear.

Don't ride the clutch either. Just wears it and makes it harder when you do use it.
  7. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

It's like a beautiful woman, don't jam it in, it's all about the finesse.
  8. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I run rural routes on new 500 and 700's. Get a new truck every 30,000 miles. What's a manual transmission? Or a clutch?
  9. S
    Seriously I hurt my groin so every push of the clutch hurt. So I stopped pushing in the clutch and tore my shoulder.

Does somebody deny the damage riding the clutch does?
  11. mdnj88

mdnj88 Active Member

there is really no reason to ride the clutch. If drivers actually started out in first gear, no matter how fast u let it out, you will never stall the truck. In the diesels ive found that inbetween shifts, a quick tap of the throttle and it will slip right into the next gear without the clutch. that works on up and downshifts, for me..
  12. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

It's so funny to hear new guys cry and moan when they get a stick. Waaaaah!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

We love the smell of burning clutch plates. Almost as much as we love the scent from driving around with the handbrake on.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Jlemansk

Jlemansk Active Member

I had to work almost 20 years before I got an automatic. We didn't have diesel sticks with power steering. Sounds like a luxury to me.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  15. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Give me a Powerstroke with a Spicer 5 speed stickshift, and I would be a happy man. I miss good old #654572, it was the best truck I ever had. The one I have now is an automatic with the Mercedes 4cyl. diesel that sound like an angry hair dryer with a bad case of the farts. Its an OK truck but it doesnt do nearly as well in the mud or snow as my old truck did.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I inherited 2 656xxx P7s like what you are talking about from CA during peak. After immediately redtagging them for too many reasons to list, I finally have them whipped into shape and they are very good runners now. $$$ and a lot of work, but I will take them over a newer IHC any day of the week.
  17. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

MY left foot never leave the clutch pedal unless I'm on the highway. Expected the unexpected.
  18. HomeDelivery

HomeDelivery Well-Known Member

just curious, how do you know it's a mercedes? there are no external badges or is it on the valve cover or something to ID that engine?!?

i thought the 4 cyl diesels were usually the isuzu/GMC ones that are basically on the REACH stepvans... <shrugs>

There is a MB 3point star on the plastic cover over the injectors and it says Mercedes-Benz as well.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. retired driver

retired driver New Member

I always preferred the stick to automatic....... just for the power and bad weather. on the GMC's if you double clutch you wont grind