MAP payout

dezguy

Are you in Canada? We haven't had ten sick days in many years.

That is how it works here. If you go on STD or LTD, the first week is paid through sick days and any time after that, paid by the insurance company. We just had a guy go off with cancer and he had to use 5 of his sick days which basically screws him out of getting a good raise next year.

!Retired!

Nope...in the US. Could be state specific. At my location if you have used your 5 sick days and then injure your back and that is going to put you out for 2 months, you have to use your 5 sick days first before short term disability will kick in. You have already used your 5 sick days earlier, so now you have to use 5 more. Which of course are unpaid. You now have used 10 sick days within 12 months. That will bring you below the minimum percentage, which equates to a letter.

Better hope your injury didn't come at the hands of a preventable accident. There is another letter right there. Now you have 2 letters and are 1 step from the door.

Also in the US FedEx gives you more than 5 sick days. They will only pay you for 5. After that you are taking them for free. After 10 sick days in a rolling 12 month period the consequences start to kick in.
Summary.......You get 5 paid sick days. If you use them and you go out on disability or comp, you do not get paid for the first 5 days. The part that is wrong is that the second 5 days do not count as sick days IF it is comp or disability. Those days are counted as part of FMLA. You are also wrong in that you would get a letter for to many sick days. You would get an OLCC first. My old manager did not put my workers comp time in correctly. My new manager tried to give me an OLCC for to many sick days. Since I keep ALL my disability/comp paperwork, I was able to prove that 5 of those days were FMLA covered, therefore no OLCC.

!Retired!

That is how it works here. If you go on STD or LTD, the first week is paid through sick days and any time after that, paid by the insurance company. We just had a guy go off with cancer and he had to use 5 of his sick days which basically screws him out of getting a good raise next year.
We're not review based in the states anymore, so it wouldn't affect our raises.

Artee

Summary.......You get 5 paid sick days. If you use them and you go out on disability or comp, you do not get paid for the first 5 days. The part that is wrong is that the second 5 days do not count as sick days IF it is comp or disability. Those days are counted as part of FMLA. You are also wrong in that you would get a letter for to many sick days. You would get an OLCC first. My old manager did not put my workers comp time in correctly. My new manager tried to give me an OLCC for to many sick days. Since I keep ALL my disability/comp paperwork, I was able to prove that 5 of those days were FMLA covered, therefore no OLCC.

Artee

I will check with my manager and other managers I know along with others who have gone out on disability recently on the the FMLA. Thats not what was stated with the recent conversation with our manager and I would like to know for sure. As far as the olcc we get one for every sick day we take. Whether its out first or our 15th. Same with lates. We get an olcc with every time we are late for work. That is from our Director and works that way for every location in our region. Yours could be different.

MAKAVELI

I will check with my manager and other managers I know along with others who have gone out on disability recently on the the FMLA. Thats not what was stated with the recent conversation with our manager and I would like to know for sure. As far as the olcc we get one for every sick day we take. Whether its out first or our 15th. Same with lates. We get an olcc with every time we are late for work. That is from our Director and works that way for every location in our region. Yours could be different.
I would say your director is friend....ing nuts.

MAKAVELI

They want to make sure you know where you stand , so when you take that 10th sick day and fall below the minimum standard it should be no surprise when they issue you a letter.
At this point where this company is headed why would anyone really care? If I were sick or injured, I couldn't give a friend.... about a letter. Fire me then I hire an attorney. I wouldn't mind collecting unemployment or a worker's comp settlement.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
At this point where this company is headed why would anyone really care? If I were sick or injured, I couldn't give a friend.... about a letter. Fire me then I hire an attorney. I wouldn't mind collecting unemployment or a worker's comp settlement.

Another happy employee.

DontThrowPackages

Yes, I heard they don't like employees to have a clean file so they muddy them up with things like calling in sick for the first time in 8 years or, in some cases, lates even though DRA says to take less.

!Retired!

I'm just talking from experience. I've been out on disability, workers comp and have taken sick days. I have NEVER received a letter or OLCC for ANY of them. IF HR okay's FMLA, the days out can not be held against you.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Actually in our area, it depends on who you are and if you lick your manager's boots. We've had folk, that should have lost their route (after being out 90 days or more). I can name "three", that went right back to their position.

We have a courier, that's been gone for 80 days and it's not looking good. Because he's a so-called "instigator", I'm sure they he won't get the same privileges. However, he has one hellava "GFT" with three peers, with "preferential" treatment.

dezguy

Actually in our area, it depends on who you are and if you lick your manager's boots. We've had folk, that should have lost their route (after being out 90 days or more). I can name "three", that went right back to their position.

We have a courier, that's been gone for 80 days and it's not looking good. Because he's a so-called "instigator", I'm sure they he won't get the same privileges. However, he has one hellava "GFT" with three peers, with "preferential" treatment.

We've had those types too. Had one guy off almost 2 years. Came back and was on the same route he'd always been on. It was never even put up on JCA.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, I heard they don't like employees to have a clean file so they muddy them up with things like calling in sick for the first time in 8 years or, in some cases, lates even though DRA says to take less.

I know managers in my district have been given an OLCC quota in the past. I don't know if this is currently the case, nor do I really care. Just the idea of this is totally wrong, and something FedEx would totally do.

hypo hanna

I know managers in my district have been given an OLCC quota in the past. I don't know if this is currently the case, nor do I really care. Just the idea of this is totally wrong, and something FedEx would totally do.
I don't think he had a quota but my last manager was told directly to start writing more OLCC's or else find another job. He was a good guy who saw the future and now works for someone else.

DontThrowPackages

I don't think he had a quota but my last manager was told directly to start writing more OLCC's or else find another job. He was a good guy who saw the future and now works for someone else.
Exactly, they don't want any employees with clean files. How would it look with an employee in the GFT meeting with a clean record?