Marriage.......And the UPS'er

slantnosechevy

Slant, Dilli is right about this gal driver needing to talk to someone about her problems at home. My advice is to tread lightly, very lightly. Sometimes, a lot of the time, a person in her position is so hungry for human kindness that when they find someone that will listen to them and not feel like a threat to them they for attachments. I know it doesn't always work out that way, but it is sure something you need to protect against.

My thinking exactly. Good advice for any workplace not just UPS. I think more affairs start as a result of this very thing and although not intentionally the situation can escalate before either party realizes and by then it's too late and the damage is done and more innocent people are hurt. Kinda why I suggested getting to a professional like a counselor. I'm not married she is and I do have a significant other. A great gal and the last thing I would want is for her to get hurt and ruin any trust that we have built. As a steward and co-worker I do bare some responsibility when someone is having any kind of trouble that could affect their well being and ultimately their job. You just have to handle these situations with kid gloves.

helenofcalifornia

Whewweeee! I was Hell-on yesterday! Sorry to be so blunt with you KOC. You pissed me off when you hijacked this thread. The guys in here were showing their warm, fuzzy sides, declaring their love for their significant others, how they met, secrets to staying married, etc. And like you, I didn't enjoy listening to the whining when you started talking about my fellow drivers.

I was a single mom with 3 small kids struggling on a PT wage once. We all go through it, part of the price of waiting in line to go driving. I was hired before '81 though, so as a PTer earned driver's wages. Had to quit UPS when I moved and lost years of seniority. Started all over again at the bottom and waited 8 years to go driving. Most all of us go through this. I hope you have immediate family and in-laws to fall back on-they were lifesavers for me when times got pretty dark for me. Church and faith helped too.

"Dude," times will get better, your kids won't remember these bad times as being bad, you have a wife who is carrying the load WITH you, and on a lighter note, beans and rice make up a complete protein and are an excellent food source.

Hell-off.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Whewweeee! I was Hell-on yesterday! Sorry to be so blunt with you KOC. You pissed me off when you hijacked this thread. The guys in here were showing their warm, fuzzy sides, declaring their love for their significant others, how they met, secrets to staying married, etc. And like you, I didn't enjoy listening to the whining when you started talking about my fellow drivers.

I was a single mom with 3 small kids struggling on a PT wage once. We all go through it, part of the price of waiting in line to go driving. I was hired before '81 though, so as a PTer earned driver's wages. Had to quit UPS when I moved and lost years of seniority. Started all over again at the bottom and waited 8 years to go driving. Most all of us go through this. I hope you have immediate family and in-laws to fall back on-they were lifesavers for me when times got pretty dark for me. Church and faith helped too.

"Dude," times will get better, your kids won't remember these bad times as being bad, you have a wife who is carrying the load WITH you, and on a lighter note, beans and rice make up a complete protein and are an excellent food source.

Hell-off.
Great post, hellion! This thread is totally about the ins and outs of marriage, how UPS translates into that equation, and not the ups and downs of the job. I was asked today, at work, if I was having marital difficulty. Turns out that someone who knows me was reading this thread and thought I was talking about myself at the start of this thread. Let me assure everyone that my marriage is in good shape and not troubled.

I actually started this thread because my buddy, who has been married over 20 years, is going through the wringer over some silly stuff. You'd think that if you have been married that long, things would just work themselves out. I guess some people never get content. JMHO, as always.

rod

Retired 22 years
Great post, hellion! This thread is totally about the ins and outs of marriage, how UPS translates into that equation, and not the ups and downs of the job. I was asked today, at work, if I was having marital difficulty. Turns out that someone who knows me was reading this thread and thought I was talking about myself at the start of this thread. Let me assure everyone that my marriage is in good shape and not troubled.

I actually started this thread because my buddy, who has been married over 20 years, is going through the wringer over some silly stuf. You'd think that if you have been fmarried that long, things would just work themselves out. I guess some people never get content. JMHO, as always.

A friend of mine who had been married 19 years was actually hauled back into court over who owned a shovel, rake and a hoe. His ex got a Royal chewing out by the Judge for wasting his time. P.S. He got them

FORDMAN

A small part of why I got divorced was that my ex did not understand " the job.". I was working twilight, the kids were young, and for goodness sake, he had to watch the kids for the four hours I was at work. He thought I should quit UPS and get a day job. If I was a weaker person I might have done that. (UPS doesn't breed weak people, or if they do manage to get hired, they don't last long)

The job at UPS is really a two person job if you are married. The one that "stays at home" is the one that deserves a lot of credit if you have a good marriage. Very difficult to understand the long hours unless you are not both walking the same path in the same direction. And both have to "get the big picture."

helenofcalifornia

I'm just saying now....but with a prenup.....no fights over shovels, houses, etc. And if you are never getting divorced, it's just a piece of paper that was agreed to by both sides, when both were thinking logically, not emotionally. I am not rich by any means, but I sure would like to have "my" stuff after the marriage ended and not be fighting over it in court for months after.

But I don't think I would have thought to put my Craftsman shovel in it. (Which after 20 years just broke. Do (does?) all Craftmans tools still have that lifetime guarantee?)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm just saying now....but with a prenup.....no fights over shovels, houses, etc. And if you are never getting divorced, it's just a piece of paper that was agreed to by both sides, when both were thinking logically, not emotionally. I am not rich by any means, but I sure would like to have "my" stuff after the marriage ended and not be fighting over it in court for months after.

But I don't think I would have thought to put my Craftsman shovel in it. (Which after 20 years just broke. Do (does?) all Craftmans tools still have that lifetime guarantee?)
I do believe they do Helen. Take it down to your local Sears.

rod

Retired 22 years

The bigger question is -- how much longer can Sears last?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the many problems I have with a prenup is that there will always be that thought in the back of both heads of that piece of paper.

Divorce does not always have to be a fight. My ex and I were able to sit down and basically do our own division of property and let the lawyers dot the i's and cross the t's.

Yes.