Marriage.......And the UPS'er

I actually started this thread because my buddy, who has been married over 20 years, is going through the wringer over some silly stuff. You'd think that if you have been married that long, things would just work themselves out. I guess some people never get content. JMHO, as always.

Steve, I'm really glad you started this thread I think it's been a good one.
Now I want to preface what I'm about to say. I do not pretend to be a physiologist but I have talked to more than a few (only two professionally during the divorce). One fairly recently was an intern at the Rehab place, we sat and just gabbed several times, not a session. At one point we hit on the thoughts you had in your post that I underlined. One thing that happens to marriages is that the little things often go over looked. Some probably think that they will just work out, some that it's no big deal. However sometimes that "little thing" is placed on a shelf along with the other "little things" that have not been addressed. They can, and sometimes do, add up to the point that, they cause the shelf to collapse from the unaddressed weight.
I'm not saying every little thing that happens in day to day life becomes a major problem but if they carry more weight for one of the people in the marriage, they can.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Now I want to preface what I'm about to say. I do not pretend to be a physiologist but I have talked to more than a few (only two professionally during the divorce). One fairly recently was an intern at the Rehab place, we sat and just gabbed several times, not a session. At one point we hit on the thoughts you had in your post that I underlined. One thing that happens to marriages is that the little things often go over looked. Some probably think that they will just work out, some that it's no big deal. However sometimes that "little thing" is placed on a shelf along with the other "little things" that have not been addressed. They can, and sometimes do, add up to the point that, they cause the shelf to collapse from the unaddressed weight.
I'm not saying every little thing that happens in day to day life becomes a major problem but if they carry more weight for one of the people in the marriage, they can.
Very good point, 555.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And I am sorry too that you work with idiots flaunting their checks. Bad form on their part. No class there. You too will be there eventually. Probably most of them have been in your shoes, but not in these stressful economic times. Venting now over, fired up and ready to burn up my route.
PT sucks, I cant believe I did it for 8 yrs raising two kids, but I did, and u too will survive. Actually it was a happier part of my life, I had to scrounge for money, but had more time, and that time element now that I look back, not now from where you are is the best gift I ever got. Actually being poorer, I was richer. And Im just counting the days til I can be poorer, again, yet richer in time with my family.

bigbrownhen

Just had our 21st anniversary in March. Married at 16(he was 19) with a little one on the way. Most folks didn't give us a chance. We are still going strong and happy as can be. We have had our share of tough spots, but we weathered it together. We set out to make this work knowing we were taking a hard road.
What works for some couples, won't work for others. We are homebodies who do most everything together as we can. Some people can't be around each other that much.
I think the best thing we did was to move away from everyone we knew when we first started out. We had to depend on each other, not run home to Mom and Dad, or go out drinking with the buddies when times got tough. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, this is just what has worked for us.

satellitedriver

trp,
I totally agree.
It is the "little things" that can become the stumbling block.
One of my favorite sayings is;
"It is not the mountain that stops you on your journey,
it is the pebble in your shoe."

Just had our 21st anniversary in March. Married at 16(he was 19) with a little one on the way. Most folks didn't give us a chance. We are still going strong and happy as can be. We have had our share of tough spots, but we weathered it together. We set out to make this work knowing we were taking a hard road.
What works for some couples, won't work for others. We are homebodies who do most everything together as we can. Some people can't be around each other that much.
I think the best thing we did was to move away from everyone we knew when we first started out. We had to depend on each other, not run home to Mom and Dad, or go out drinking with the buddies when times got tough. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, this is just what has worked for us.
That's a hard road to travel and you have traveled it well. I tip my hat to you and your hubby. The responsibility to a child is too many times taken too lightly this day and age.

InTheRed

PLEASE tell me your DM name so i can get him or her to N.C. so WE can also do this...LOL WE would love to have that chance!!

does your district not practice the use of relative helpers? Here, it is encouraged. We have had a few husband/wife teams for peak... just a few. On occasion, we get a son to team up with his father as well.