Marty's retiring

P

pickup

At least here in the Western Conference, you would be wrong.

My wife is listed as a survivor/beneficiary on my pension. I'm vested, but not yet eligible to retire. If I died today, my wife would get the amount I would receive if I were to become permanently disabled and retire early. If I died while eligible to retire but while still working, my wofe would get the same amount I would qualify for if I were alive and chose to retire. Once I retire for good, we will keep the survivor benefit and upon my death she will receive 65% of my pension for the rest of her life.

So, in other words, your wife has an increased financial incentive to see you get knocked off once you are eligible for retirement and before you retire. I hope your marriage is on solid ground. I've read true life crime stories with stuff like this as the motivation in the killings.

P

pickup

On the one hand, I admire the mans dedication to his job.

On the other hand, I cannot fathom why anyone would choose to spend 63 yrs working for UPS if they had the ability to retire...which this guy had to have had at least 20 yrs ago.

I'm out of here on Feb 27th of 2017 which is the first day that I will be eligible.

I'm out of here on dec. 21, 2012 . That's the day my space ship is coming to beam me out of here, just a few minutes before the world wide destruction:wink2:

Bad Gas!

On the other hand, I cannot fathom why anyone would choose to spend 63 yrs working for UPS if they had the ability to retire...which this guy had to have had at least 20 yrs ago.

I'm out of here on Feb 27th of 2017 which is the first day that I will be eligible.

Sober,
Unfortunately, You will probably have to work til Oct. to qualify for that 30th year...The anniversary date doesn't always qualify for 30..

Dustyroads

The anniversary date never qualifies for the 30 and out. No pension contributions are made during the probationary period before the driver gained seniority. The exception to the rule would be a driver who had other prior time in the same pension plan.

I guess Marty didn't really have to worry about that. What a run!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober,
Unfortunately, You will probably have to work til Oct. to qualify for that 30th year...The anniversary date doesn't always qualify for 30..

Already got that covered.

In the year prior to my retirement, I will hold over all of my vacation weeks until the next year, and then schedule all of my weeks together before and after my seniority date. So my "retirement" date of 2-27-17 will actually be the beginning of a 14-week vacation that will carry me well past my actual seniority date.

A

anonymous6

He must of been working for less than minimum wage when you factor in the pension and SS for about 25 years.

wait a minute. I just did the math . he was working for NOTHING.

Dustyroads

maybe he was working for the benefits... like maybe he's planning on marrying a LOT younger woman and wants to have a really impressive survivor's benefit package :)

helenofcalifornia

So he only collected SS or did he? He didn't retire so he couldn't collect SS? Marty gets to collect SS, UPS pension and his 401k money now? Really, why would anyone work till 89? Must have drove the IE people crazy with his production rate. And I wonder if they kicked him off health benefits and made him use Medicare? Again, why would anyone work until 89 if you didn't have to.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So he only collected SS or did he? He didn't retire so he couldn't collect SS? Marty gets to collect SS, UPS pension and his 401k money now? Really, why would anyone work till 89? Must have drove the IE people crazy with his production rate. And I wonder if they kicked him off health benefits and made him use Medicare? Again, why would anyone work until 89 if you didn't have to.
Bored at home?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Actually, he was working because he liked, no loved to work here. Don't start bashing this guy. We should praise him because guys like him built this company.

helenofcalifornia

And she was probably begging him to double all the time. Can you imagine the supervisor always having to ask Marty first to double in the unload or do some route blind? They would have died if he said yes. Sorry Marty.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
he remembers the time when a person named jim casey actually cared about his employees...marty has probably met jim a few times.

badpal

Not sure Helen when the story came out a couple years ago some of the old feeder boys were talking, as they are sometimes known to do lol. Well they seemed to think that after a certain age you got to collect your ss and your pension too. They were drooling thinking about how much marty was making a year .