Marty's retiring

bluehdmc

So he only collected SS or did he? He didn't retire so he couldn't collect SS? Marty gets to collect SS, UPS pension and his 401k money now? Really, why would anyone work till 89? Must have drove the IE people crazy with his production rate. And I wonder if they kicked him off health benefits and made him use Medicare? Again, why would anyone work until 89 if you didn't have to.

I believe you can start collecting SS at 65 and continue to work, but your SS gets reduced dollar for dollar until around 72 then you can get the full SS check. I think 401K's and IRA have to start withdrawing at 71 with a formula based on your life expectancy at the age you start the withdrawals.
I guess he just enjoyed what he did. How many of you have heard of someone who retired and died within 6mo.
Part of the key to longevity is keeping busy. Although I think I'd rather keep busy doing something other than punching a clock.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If he was truly happy continuing to work all of those years, then more power to him.

It's not a choice I would make.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There is an old saying.

If you truly love what you do, then there is never a day you have to go to work. Every day is an adventure for you.

Some people like different thing. And Marty sounds like the kind of guy that lived and breathed UPS. And thats fine. To each their own.

There were times that I really loved what I did. And had it not been for the knees, I would probably still be there.

But looking back, no regrets. Every experience in your life serves a purpose.

d

rod

Retired 22 years
I've heard and read about this Marty guy for years. My only opinion is a person would have to be absolutely insane to stay at UPS for 63 years. Me now-- I would rather be able to boast that I had been retired from UPS for 63 years:wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I dug this up from a couple of years ago, when he had only 60 years in.

Detroit's Marty Peters Delivers 60 Years of Service to UPS

Feb 27, 2006

DETROIT -- When Marty Peters pulls on his brown uniform in the pre-dawn hours on March 7 and reports for his regular 3:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. shift at UPS (NYSE: UPS), he'll pass a service milestone exceeded only by the company's founder -- 60 years of non-stop service.

Even at a company where drivers average 17 years on the job -- four times longer than the typical American worker -- the 83-year-old Peters is the longest-tenured of UPS's 407,200 global employees.

And Peters is far from slowing down. The Macomb Township resident currently works full-time as a "shifter" and a clerk, splitting his time between the cab of a heavy truck moving trailers among the loading docks at a UPS center in Detroit and then moving inside to help packages with incorrect addresses find their way to recipients.

"On behalf of all of UPS's employees across the world, I'd like to thank Marty Peters for delivering six decades of dedicated service to UPS and its customers," said Mike Eskew, UPS's chairman and CEO. "And I'd like to congratulate him as he celebrates this remarkable anniversary."
Only two people in UPS history worked 60 years or longer. Jim Casey, the man who founded UPS at the age of 19 in 1907, worked until his death in 1985 and Paul Oberkotter, the company's third CEO, worked 60 years before stepping down.

Peters was fresh out of the Army when he began working for UPS on March 7, 1946. He started out making about 95-cents an hour and appreciated the fact that unlike the delivery company for which he worked before the war, UPS provided his uniform, including a brown bowtie.
"You couldn't get out the door unless you had a bowtie on," Peters recalled with a chuckle. "That was a big priority at UPS, shine your shoes and a bowtie."

In the 1940s, he drove a four-cylinder, air-cooled White Horse delivery truck with no heater or defroster. Sometimes he'd buy a kerosene lantern to generate a little heat against the frigid Michigan winters. But since the truck also had no turn signals, the heat would quickly dissipate when Peters rolled down the window to signal a turn.

Since then he's held a variety of jobs from sorting packages and loading trucks to driving a tractor trailer on a regular route between Detroit and Grand Rapids and running the local customer counter.

"I'd say I've had just about every job UPS has got," he said. "And it keeps you moving, I tell you. There's no easy job at UPS."

Peters has seen big changes in the way UPS drivers do their job. And the biggest have been driven by rapidly advancing technology like the small handheld computers - known as Delivery Information Acquisition Device or DIAD -- that replaced the pen and paper drivers used to carry to record pickups and deliveries.

And he's seen big changes in the city of Detroit. When he started, UPS delivered about 1,200 packages a day in the state of Michigan. At the height of the company's holiday rush last December, UPS delivered about 2 million packages in a single week in the Detroit area alone.

As for now, he says he's not thinking of retirement. And he's also not thinking of wearing the brown shorts for which many UPS drivers are known.

"My wife says my legs are for her eyes only," Peters said.
UPS is the world's largest package delivery company and a global leader in supply chain services, offering an extensive range of options for synchronizing the movement of goods, information and funds. Headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., UPS serves more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. UPS's stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange (UPS) and the company can be found on the Web at UPS.com.

MARTY PETERS:
WHAT DOES 60 YEARS MEAN?

--With 60 years of service, Detroit's Marty Peters has been working longer than most of UPS's competitors have been in existence. UPS was founded in 1907.

--With 60 years of service, Marty also now has far outdistanced his closest colleague on the seniority list. UPS has 68 active employees who have been with the company at least 40 years, but not one of them - besides Marty - has passed the 50-year mark.

--Over the course of 60 years, Marty Peters has used fewer than five sick days and his current manager can't even recall him calling in sick. "He's always here, and I mean always," says center manager Bill Jones.
--For a portion of his remarkable career, Marty drove a tractor-trailer unit for UPS, amassing 1.4 million miles on the road.

--While working as a "shifter," part of his current job, Marty moves trailers to and from the loading docks at his package center. So far, he's made more than 100,000 such trailer moves in all kinds of weather.

--Marty is an hourly employee, but he's also an owner of the company with a significant retirement fund in UPS stock.

--Outside of work, Marty has been happily married to his wife, Christine, for 55 years. They have four children; nine grandchildren, and two great grandchildren.
Like so many other people, you might not understand what drives them to accomplish or set goals like this, but if that is what they really want to do, then God bless them for trying. And its even better if you really enjoy what you are doing.

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It says he has a significant amount of his retirement in stock...we're drivers given some sort of stock back in the day, and if they were, would that mean that marty was grandfathered(no pun intended) in and would still receive ups stock up to his retirement?

badpal

It says he has a significant amount of his retirement in stock...we're drivers given some sort of stock back in the day, and if they were, would that mean that marty was grandfathered(no pun intended) in and would still receive ups stock up to his retirement?
Well coldworld if you remember the old thrift plan , i dont know what year it started . But if marty was in that from start to finish putting in his 6 dollars a week . I bet he did great when it closed ,if he coverted too stock before ipo. Old timers will remember the yearly statement we used to get showing what guys that had been in it a long time had accumulated.

lovemygirls0_2

I'm sorry but is this guy sick in the head!!! 89 yrs old, how much of life is left to enjoy?

Marty is my grandpa. He works because he is truly proud of his work, is proud of what his career has gotten him...he has paid cash for his last two homes and new cars for himself and grandma. He can also support my grandma's shopping habit. My grandma's hefty medical bills are also covered, thanks to grandpa's years at UPS. His mind is sharper than most of MY peers (and probably mine at 33)We are very proud of him. I wish I had the staying power of my grandpa. He is a hard worker and healthy as a horse at 87 years old. YAY grandpa!!!!

over9five

Staff member
Welcome to Brown Cafe, Lovemygirls! There are a lot of people at UPS that are proud of your Grandpa. Make sure you keep him busy when he retires!!!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Marty is my grandpa. He works because he is truly proud of his work, is proud of what his career has gotten him...he has paid cash for his last two homes and new cars for himself and grandma. He can also support my grandma's shopping habit. My grandma's hefty medical bills are also covered, thanks to grandpa's years at UPS. His mind is sharper than most of MY peers (and probably mine at 33)We are very proud of him. I wish I had the staying power of my grandpa. He is a hard worker and healthy as a horse at 87 years old. YAY grandpa!!!!

Thanks for posting, I admire your grandpa. Since Marty will finally have a lot of spare time, why don't you get him to join us?:wink2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

What a great post. Welcome to Brown Cafe and keep us up-to-date on Grandpa's escapades.
Thanks for posting!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I agree. Welcome to BC. Tell grand dad to check in sometime, we would love to have him tell us about some of his adventures.

Plus it would be nice to have someone here older than Rod.

d

rod

Retired 22 years
I agree. Welcome to BC. Tell grand dad to check in sometime, we would love to have him tell us about some of his adventures.

Plus it would be nice to have someone here older than Rod.

d

:happy-very: Ha Ha!

On a serious note- I could start work at UPS tomoprrow and work another 30 years- retire again and STILL only be 2 years older than he is now. I'm 61 - Marty is 89 . ( Crap- just the thought of that will probably trigger a UPS nightmare tonight)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I still have them too!

I had one last night.

Wonder if they ever quit.

d

:happy-very: Ha Ha!

On a serious note- I could start work at UPS tomoprrow and work another 30 years- retire again and STILL only be 2 years older than he is now. I'm 61 - Marty is 89 . ( Crap- just the thought of that will probably trigger a UPS nightmare tonight)
LMAO At least you guys can wake up in the morning and not have to go to work (at UPS Danny, at UPS). Most of us still have to sleep with them at night and work with them during the day. :happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
I had one last night.

Wonder if they ever quit.

d

Take it from me -- they NEVER quit. For me its always the same dream. Deliver- deliver- deliver and never empty the truck. Usually it envolves customers and addresses I have never heard of. Thank god I don't have those dreams often but when I do they are dandys and I wake up feeling exhausted. Its always a good feeking when you suddenly realize--"its only a dream".:happy2: