Marty's retiring

Hubrat98

I had one last night.

Wonder if they ever quit.

d

About once a month or so. Heavy volume and half my guys don't show up. Always a horrible nightmare. What's worse is when it turns into reality later in the day when I get to the hub. Who said dreams don't come true?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dang, Marty even looks younger than Rod.

Come to think of it, younger than Tie, P-Man and Me come to think of it.

Marty, if you ever get around to reading this, I hope you get to draw the same number of retirement checks as you got to draw paychecks.

Two things come to mind watching that video.

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog...

and attitude, attitude, attitude.........

Lead on Marty!

With respect

d

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I have nothing but respect for someone like this! I would love to hear some things that this man has went through, not only @ UPS but with his everyday life.
Congratulations Marty and thank you for inspiring me and others in our everyday life!

slantnosechevy

It says he has a significant amount of his retirement in stock...we're drivers given some sort of stock back in the day, and if they were, would that mean that marty was grandfathered(no pun intended) in and would still receive ups stock up to his retirement?

I believe at one point in the late 50's drivers were allowed to purchase stock but it was only for a short period of time. I remember Ron Carey's father had some of that stock and in '97 it was worth somewhere around a couple mil.

P

pickup

Take it from me -- they NEVER quit. For me its always the same dream. Deliver- deliver- deliver and never empty the truck. Usually it envolves customers and addresses I have never heard of. Thank god I don't have those dreams often but when I do they are dandys and I wake up feeling exhausted. Its always a good feeking when you suddenly realize--"its only a dream".:happy2:

Here's a scary thought: Maybe there is such a thing as reincarnation and you are rehearsing your next life:surprised:

Last edited by a moderator:

browniehound

On the one hand, I admire the mans dedication to his job.

On the other hand, I cannot fathom why anyone would choose to spend 63 yrs working for UPS if they had the ability to retire...which this guy had to have had at least 20 yrs ago.

I'm out of here on Feb 27th of 2017 which is the first day that I will be eligible.

Sober, I with your way of thinking. If I didn't respect this guy so much for putting in 63 years of service with UPS, I would call him an idiot. I don't want to spend 1 day longer at UPS than I have to.

However, think of the money he must have been pulling in? Can you collect social security and the pension while still working at age 70?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you think he'll qualify for the senior discount?

You have to admire his dedication and I would love to sit down with him and listen to some of the stories. I am sure he could put some of his co-workers (including me) to shame with his work ethic and dedication.

I have 10 years until I will have my 30 and am working very hard to ensure that I will be financially ready to retire; however, I know that I will not be able to just stop and will have to find something to do. I would love to substitute teach but my daughter reminds me that I don't like kids so that probably wouldn't work. (I actually like kids but have little tolerance for today's Generation Me). I would also love to get my pilot's license and to work on my golf game. I will probably combine a paid part-time job (under the table, of course) with a volunteer position which will allow me to play golf and take flying lessons.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Do you think he'll qualify for the senior discount?

You have to admire his dedication and I would love to sit down with him and listen to some of the stories. I am sure he could put some of his co-workers (including me) to shame with his work ethic and dedication.

I have 10 years until I will have my 30 and am working very hard to ensure that I will be financially ready to retire; however, I know that I will not be able to just stop and will have to find something to do. I would love to substitute teach but my daughter reminds me that I don't like kids so that probably wouldn't work. (I actually like kids but have little tolerance for today's Generation Me). I would also love to get my pilot's license and to work on my golf game. I will probably combine a paid part-time job (under the table, of course) with a volunteer position which will allow me to play golf and take flying lessons.
You might be the one to change them from it being all about them, Upstate. Can't hurt to try, besides, the flying lessons and golf would help you to relax afterwards. The piloting thought brings this song to mind.

[video=youtube;_YWGTMC3u5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWGTMC3u5o[/video]

rod

Retired 22 years
Sober, I with your way of thinking. If I didn't respect this guy so much for putting in 63 years of service with UPS, I would call him an idiot. I don't want to spend 1 day longer at UPS than I have to.

However, think of the money he must have been pulling in? Can you collect social security and the pension while still working at age 70?

I believe I read that after he turned 70 he started receiving both a pension and SS- even though he continued to work plus his weekly pay. I bet no one in his extended family wanted him to quit if he was raking in that kind of dough.:happy2: I may be wrong on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

lovemygirls0_2

I believe I read that after he turned 70 he started receiving both a pension and SS- even though he continued to work plus his weekly pay. I bet no one in his extended family wanted him to quit if he was raking in that kind of dough.:happy2: I may be wrong on this.

My grandpa was on the National Evening News on CBS this evening. That was SO cool!!! As for wanting him to keep working for the dough, grandpa is a SAVER...now that he has free time, maybe I can talk him into taking us all on a cruise though(not likely. Grandpa says he did all the traveling he plans on doing while in the service): ) I am, however, going to show him how to get on here and post. He does have a lot of cool stories.(and now free time) As for me, I don't even work at UPS. I just found this while googling my grandpa. How many people can say that??