Mass exodus

GoForBroke

Has anyone else notice a lot of management leaving? I know of 6 in the last 6 months in my district. 4 managers and 2 sups. I do know that 2 of the managers and 1 sup jumped to Amazon. And I would not be surprised when more start leaving soon.

RolloTony Brown Town

In my old building (freight) 2 supervisors quit and a manager quit and I transferred out 5 months ago. I e heard stories of management at all levels from the hub I was a pt'er in quitting. Fact is, pt supervisors see the stress that's put on ft management and doesn't want it. Ft supervisors and to an extent some managers are finding comparable opportunities where they can make a similar paycheck and not have to put in 60+ hours/week. The old dogs look at their paycheck and wonder is it still worth it? Or should I just retire.

Add all that up with district management not wanting to promote anyone that doesn't have a bachelors or hire and you oula! Welcome to new school ups.

My uncle asks me everytime I see him when I'm going to leave for amazon. I've gotten emails from amazon recruiters. Ups pays well but they expect a lot and you have to work a lot. The treatment is poor, and the drivers... Well I like my group but we all know how they get when they're in a group setting.

Dr.Brownz

I bet we can expect a general decline in the quality of supervision and managers in the next 5 years. They are hiring guys to be sups and center manager that have been at UPS for less than a year.

GoForBroke

I bet we can expect a general decline in the quality of supervision and managers in the next 5 years. They are hiring guys to be sups and center manager that have been at UPS for less than a year.
Seen that first hand. I was just on a class where 3 other FT sups had been there about a year

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

I work at one of the largest hubs in the country and they've been promoting new hires and kids still working towards their high school diplomas to PT supervision for a while.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I work at one of the largest hubs in the country and they've been promoting new hires and kids still working towards their high school diplomas to PT supervision for a while.
I mentioned this in another thread and don't think anyone reading believed it to be true. I am certain we have PT sups without a GED. Pretty embarrassing all-around.

SmithBarney

So where are all these ops? I need a center manager position. ;)

EDIT: just to say I typed C M and it made it Center Manager all by itself.. how fancy nicely done cheryl

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
They promoted a seasonal driver to FT on road sup around February in our center. Last Wendsday we were super slammed and the new sup was suppose to go out on a route with another driver to do safety observations. Sup said I'll meet you out there, never showed. Management tried to contact him (new sup) all day, no response. Little known to others during the evening the sup was seen cleaning out his locker. This was the last time anyone saw or heard from him. Every sort of management was trying to contact him to no avail

This will be the 4th operations management personal that has left this building willingly in the last 6 months. If you count the terminations, make it 8, all FT as well.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
They promoted a seasonal driver to FT on road sup around February in our center. Last Wendsday we were super slammed and the new sup was suppose to go out on a route with another driver to do safety observations. Sup said I'll meet you out there, never showed. Management tried to contact him (new sup) all day, no response. Little known to others during the evening the sup was seen cleaning out his locker. This was the last time anyone saw or heard from him. Every sort of management was trying to contact him to no avail

This will be the 4th operations management personal that has left this building willingly in the last 6 months. If you count the terminations, make it 8, all FT as well.

Heard of a high level manager getting fired in my district in package for drinking on the job recently.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
before i left they were pushing women and minorities into management positions regardless of merit due to affirmative action. a steady decline is not the word for it. more like dropping off a cliff.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

But, But, But ...
UPS is such a great place to work!?!?

I've been gone for 3 years and after recent contact with existing UPS management, it appears UPS has gone even further down the slope.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
So I was under the impression that a center mgr that's not yet 60 years old (more like 50/55) would take a massive hit to retire early. Is there a buyout for those below say, DM level? He has maybe just shy of 30 years in. Is that even realistic?

8 Hour Day

Same at my center... a center manager supposedly after being told he wasn't giving his driver's enough work - straw that broke the camel's back. Three FT supes in the last year quit. They've brought in people that have never driven or even had a "real job" (just college) to be FT supes. Drivers won't take the jobs. As my supe, who is a pretty cool guy, puts it - they put you in the position of lying to your drivers while demanding they do things you know aren't fair or even possible. He hasn't said as much, but I'm pretty sure he's looking at leaving, too. He's very open about how much he now hates the company, hates his job, and hates how it's changing him.