Massive pileup in Michigan, one dead, multiple vehicles on fire

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by oldngray, Jan 9, 2015.

1. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

DETROIT (Reuters) - At least one person was killed and six cars and semi-trailers set afire in a pileup of 50 to 70 vehicles on Friday in Michigan in one of the most serious weather-related incidents in three days of snow and bitter cold throughout the Midwest and East Coast.

The accident occurred on Interstate 94 about 10 miles east of Kalamazoo, Michigan, at about 10 a.m., state police said. One of the burning semis was carrying hazardous material, State Trooper O.J. Hamilton told Reuters. He said icy conditions and low visibility contributed to the crash.
    http://news.yahoo.com/massive-pileup-michigan-one-dead-multiple-vehicles-fire-173315341.html

2. upsmaninmi

upsmaninmi Member

This is about 30 minutes from me. Thank god I'm on vacation this week.

3. browner89

browner89 Active Member

Damn, best wishes to all those involved, I hope it stops at the one fatality, awful.

4. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Ice storm?

5. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

I imagine white out from blowing snow. My area has had several multi vehicle crashes this week on the interstate but nothing this bad.

6. McGee

McGee Well-Known Member

7. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Scary to see the fire and to know fireworks were in one of the trucks!

8. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

9. Galaxy45MP

Galaxy45MP Manic Depressive Member

10. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

11. Notretiredyet

Notretiredyet Active Member

No s
    no snow squalls were blowing across the state all day, one minute the sky is blue ten minutes later it's a whiteout. Just got home after a 11 hr day, now I can file my first 9.5 grievance of the year. Didn't even make it a week before I get to opt in, thanks UPS. There was also a 40 car pileup on US23 near Ann Arbor this afternoon.