Massive retirements in 2013?

happyboy

I often wonder why someone would continue to work at ups if they are eligible to retire and can afford to retire, maybe that is it for most people they just can’t afford to. It would be smart to always have a plan B or be working on your plan B while still working at ups. I know of two UPSERS who recently surpassed their ups income with their plan B and quit decades before they were eligible. You just have to open up your eyes and look for opportunities to cash in on what is hot right now!

Last edited by a moderator:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Maybe, some actually enjoy their job. Others, might have no reason to hurry home for a variety of reasons. There are any number of reasons why some one would stay on. Benefits seems to be the big one in my area. Also, it is expensive to pay for the bridge.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The most common reason(s) I hear from drivers who stay past the date they are eligible to retire is that they are waiting for one or more of their children to either graduate high school or finish college.

TheKid

The most common reason(s) I hear from drivers who stay past the date they are eligible to retire is that they are waiting for one or more of their children to either graduate high school or finish college.

That is going to be my situation in 9 years. Hopefully both kids will be done with furthering their education.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Divorce from HELL is often a reason to stay longer!!! I know quite a few guys who work longer because of the Ex wives !!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm getting my ducks lined up to go at 30 years. Things I don't foresee might have my ducks floating all over or shot by some hunter.

barnyard

KTM rider
I was listening to a couple of economists talk about the economy. They said that one of the signs of a recovery is increased retirements. We have 1 guy waiting to pay his wife off (I think that will take another year) and 3 waiting for the economy to improve. More than likely, they will all go about the same time, as their kids will all be out of college by then also.

From what I have seen, retiring is like an anti-aging drug. Every single driver that has retired since I started driving looks like a brand new person within 3 months.

As far as retiring after the contract is negotiated..... I think that is a mistake. Defined benefit retirements are going away. Might take a couple of contracts, but make no mistake, they are going away. Underfunding, plus retirees that draw retirements for longer than they worked are making it an unsustainable model. I expect that UPS will use future contracts to buy their way out of pension plans and once they are independent of all pension plans, they will go to a defined contribution plan.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I was listening to a couple of economists talk about the economy. They said that one of the signs of a recovery is increased retirements. We have 1 guy waiting to pay his wife off (I think that will take another year) and 3 waiting for the economy to improve. More than likely, they will all go about the same time, as their kids will all be out of college by then also.

From what I have seen, retiring is like an anti-aging drug. Every single driver that has retired since I started driving looks like a brand new person within 3 months.

As far as retiring after the contract is negotiated..... I think that is a mistake. Defined benefit retirements are going away. Might take a couple of contracts, but make no mistake, they are going away. Underfunding, plus retirees that draw retirements for longer than they worked are making it an unsustainable model. I expect that UPS will use future contracts to buy their way out of pension plans and once they are independent of all pension plans, they will go to a defined contribution plan.
The driver I loaded for, and he happened to deliver the area I live in, looked 20 years younger when I saw him 6 months after retiring. I see him at the Y, sometimes, and he really looks great! I was amazed at the difference.

rod

Retired 22 years
That is going to be my situation in 9 years. Hopefully both kids will be done with furthering their education.

The next step in their lives after college is to move back home for awhile. Then they move out on their own fiinally and have a couple of kids. After awhile they get themselves into so much debt that they move back home again. Its a vicious cycle I've seen happen to many families. They may be done with furthing their education but don't think for one minute that the your financial burden is over. We have been real lucky in the fact that my daughter found herself a good provider for a husband who makes a great living but for some reason when we go to vist them we buy most all the groceries, pay for all the tourist stuff, basically wine and dine them on my dime but when they come to my house guess who pays for all the groceries, entertainment and eating out (and sometimes plane tickets) ? Not them. I complain about it to the wife but she always takes their side. (then again I complain about alot of things she just laughs at)

The next step in their lives after college is to move back home for awhile. Then they move out on their own fiinally and have a couple of kids. After awhile they get themselves into so much debt that they move back home again. Its a vicious cycle I've seen happen to many families. They may be done with furthing their education but don't think for one minute that the your financial burden is over. We have been real lucky in the fact that my daughter found herself a good provider for a husband who makes a great living but for some reason when we go to vist them we buy most all the groceries, pay for all the tourist stuff, basically wine and dine them on my dime but when they come to my house guess who pays for all the groceries, entertainment and eating out (and sometimes plane tickets) ? Not them. I complain about it to the wife but she always takes their side. (then again I complain about alot of things she just laughs at)

Easy. Ship wife off to daughters. Live on bachelors budget.

barnyard

KTM rider

We do the same thing.

I don't have a problem with it at all. We have more money than either daughter and can afford it. I would rather see them and pay for it, than not see them at all. That would break my heart.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We do the same thing.

I don't have a problem with it at all. We have more money than either daughter and can afford it. I would rather see them and pay for it, than not see them at all. That would break my heart.
Ahhh, ya big galoot! Too sweet.

Logb17

In our center, rumor has it close to 10 drivers will be retiring(60 driver center) before the 2013 contract. 2 have already since the start of the year.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Our center is looking at 3-4 drivers(out of 42). The main reason is that the bennies will suck in the next contract, so those that can go, are. I still have 9 more years, so I will retire at 57(new retirement age after 2013) with 39 years of service. Come on 1-21-21!!!!!!!!