Massive retirements in 2013?

Acc0rd

Its been 6 1/2 years since the last FT driver was hired and they have no intent to hire any FT drivers anytime soon the manager said. He said our books are full of drivers and he has to be at a certain number before we can hire more. I was gonna stay here and think of driving but im gonna transfer to central FL with my new wife as her job brings BANK and start on the ladder again there. Thank God we get to transfer and keep our pay and benefits. Just no point on waiting anymore at this center to drive. Been in this center alone 9 years and never have been offered FT. Its a joke, I hope all the old guys we have do retire next year but it wont matter. I wont be around to enjoy the benefits! Oh we got 2 drivers with over 40 years now FT!!!!! /facepalm

brownrod

The only way folks can retire is if they have enough years in so unless, for some reason, an unusually large amount of drivers will be hitting 25-30 years in 2013 I don't see any reason why it should be all that different from any other year retirement wise.

We have a lot of drivers working who could walk off the job any day. For some reason a handful have been saying they are going out with the current contract. My center will be one that will lose a bunch of drivers in 2013!

less than a year seniority for driver? not here. It has happened in the past. But won't happen next year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You and I are leaving in 2019 at 58. Leaving at 51 and milking a pension fund for 30 plus years is unsustainable.

I agree but when we voted in our pension fund changes employees with 25 or more years of service were grandfathered in to the old plan. It would be unfair to change the rules when the game is almost over.

Ms.PacMan

The only way folks can retire is if they have enough years in so unless, for some reason, an unusually large amount of drivers will be hitting 25-30 years in 2013 I don't see any reason why it should be all that different from any other year retirement wise.

The reason is because UPS was not coast to coast until after 1975.

UPS systematically fought to obtain authorization to ship freely in all 48 contiguous states. Finally, in 1975, the Interstate Commerce Commission granted UPS the authority to begin interstate service to and from Montana and Utah, and to extend statewide its partial service areas in Arizona, Idaho, and Nevada. UPS was also authorized to connect service in these five states with existing service on the Pacific Coast and with all states to the east. As a result, UPS became the first package delivery company to serve every address in the 48 contiguous United States. This historic convergence of service areas became known within UPS as the “Golden Link.” source ups.com

moreluck

golden ticket member
The reason is because UPS was not coast to coast until after 1975.

UPS systematically fought to obtain authorization to ship freely in all 48 contiguous states. Finally, in 1975, the Interstate Commerce Commission granted UPS the authority to begin interstate service to and from Montana and Utah, and to extend statewide its partial service areas in Arizona, Idaho, and Nevada. UPS was also authorized to connect service in these five states with existing service on the Pacific Coast and with all states to the east. As a result, UPS became the first package delivery company to serve every address in the 48 contiguous United States. This historic convergence of service areas became known within UPS as the “Golden Link.” source ups.com
1975 is when Bob was sent to Utah to do the hiring..........he was personnel at that time. He actually stood on the streets of downtown Salt Lake City and solicited people to fill out job aps. and come for interviews. We ended up moving there after about 6 weeks after his special assignment. Great Fate!!

The talk back then about opening up the west .....I recall Lady Bird Johnson's name being brought up a lot as a hinderance to the opening!

Ms.PacMan

Our first driver was hired in 1978 - he was approached by someone like Bob and at first thought it was a scam because he had never heard of UPS - lol. The original 4 or 5 drivers are retired/dead now but there probably 20 drivers hired in the 80's who are over/at/or near retirement.

I'd be shocked if they didn't offer buy-outs this contract.

Ms.PacMan

Please explain the economic sense of a buyout in regard to UPS drivers.

Without knowing what UPS negotiates in the next contract I could never prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it would make economic sense.
I'll use our 20 drivers as an example.
All in their 50's - could easily work another 5 years or however many to acheive 35.
If, as suggested, UPS asks and gets a 2 tiered pay scale or longer progression - the lower cost of those wages could save UPS more than the amount of a buyout.
Younger drivers usually equate to higher production (albeit with a higher frequency of accidents and injuries - but whose to say UPS doesn't want to start a revolving door of newly hired, fired, newly hired, to keep wages low).
It could be just a small buyout to push those who are close out the door.

Honestly though, after 20 yrs I know that UPS hates uncertainty more than anything else and they would probably love to orchestrate these "massive" retirements to happen by a certain date. I don't think they prefer a "massive" surprise retirement. My point is - the fact that it's a "massive" amount of people has to be driving them nuts for a variety of reasons and I think a buyout gives them back some control over the situation.

trickpony1

Honestly though, after 20 yrs I know that UPS hates uncertainty more than anything else and they would probably love to orchestrate these "massive" retirements to happen by a certain date. I don't think they prefer a "massive" surprise retirement. My point is - the fact that it's a "massive" amount of people has to be driving them nuts for a variety of reasons and I think a buyout gives them back some control over the situation.

.....and yes, boys and girls, CONTROL is important.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
.....and yes, boys and girls, CONTROL is important.

P - Planning
L - Leading
O - Organizing
C - Controlling

The components of PLOC are the basic principles of 20th and 21st century management.
http://www.tryonassoc.com/pdffiles/Paper - Modern Project Management.pdf

Any company that does not Control does not exist for long.
Any Project that is not Controlled will be late and over-budget.
Now there is very credible debate whether all the things that management tries to control needs to be controlled.

Workforce Planning is important at all times and crucial at certain times.
I imagine Workforce Planning at UPS is very busy right now.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
P - Planning
L - Leading
O - Organizing
C - Controlling

The components of PLOC are the basic principles of 20th and 21st century management.
http://www.tryonassoc.com/pdffiles/Paper%20-%20Modern%20Project%20Management.pdf

Any company that does not Control does not exist for long.
Any Project that is not Controlled will be late and over-budget.
Now there is very credible debate whether all the things that management tries to control needs to be controlled.

Workforce Planning is important at all times and crucial at certain times.
I imagine Workforce Planning at UPS is very busy right now.

The Clash- Should I stay or should I go - YouTube

DS

Fenderbender
PLOC...well the controlling part is right on
Controlling an operational
organization includes establishing organizational performance goals and then determining what each individual’s contributions
should be. Individual goals are assigned and
measure to insure the employee is meeting
their goals. Control is usually established
around target performance over a standard
period of time, such as a quota measured
within an hour, day or week.
A necessary evil to keep everyone productive within the guidelines of the operations report.
The PLO part is all just 100 guys in suits doing what they're told.
Hoke what about IE? They travel in murders and create havoc then fly away.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
PLOC...well the controlling part is right on
Controlling an operational
organization includes establishing organizational performance goals and then determining what each individual’s contributions
should be. Individual goals are assigned and
measure to insure the employee is meeting
their goals. Control is usually established
around target performance over a standard
period of time, such as a quota measured
within an hour, day or week.
A necessary evil to keep everyone productive within the guidelines of the operations report.
The PLO part is all just 100 guys in suits doing what they're told.
Hoke what about IE? They travel in murders and create havoc then fly away.

IEs primary responsibility from the time that George Smith put it in place some 80 years ago is the Planning portion of PLOC.
IE puts together a plan and Operations Management decides whether to change it or not.
That is the way it actually works regardless of what the ill-informed or uninformed broken records say on here.
P-man normally covers this but he has not been on lately.