Massive retirements in 2013?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Divorce from HELL is often a reason to stay lo nger!!! I know quite a few guys who work longer because of the Ex wives !![/QUOTE
I know one driver that is sticking around to screw his ex. Seems she thought the the pension money would be flowing by now. He loves working more now than ever!

brownboxman

House paid for....check, cars paid for.....check, wife still working(getting health insurance)......check, 80 and out......check, my last day will be July 31st with $4000 per month pension, thank you UPS but I am outa here!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
no but if this contract passes there are 150,000 upsers under the benefits and retirement package. here in san jose and sunnyvale anyone 25yrs or more can retire and have benefits and just pay $50 a month. under new contract starting 1-1-14 anyone retiring is going to have to pay $150 a month and by 2016 it will be $300 a month. so there will be a massive retirement and I believe there will be a driver shortage in some buildings because there will be feeder and package drivers retiring by december. That why we are asking everyone to Vote NO on the contract

​Sounds like a win for part timers.

balland chain

Hell, I have some co-workers in feeders who have over 40 years in and are not planning on leaving anytime soon..I doubt there will be a large number of guys walking... Some were thinking the company would offer some extra cash as an incentive to get them to retiree..I laughed when they said that.. UPS could care less if we are dead or alive.. As long as there is a butt in the seat, they do not care who it is.. We are all just disposable numbers to the company.. I believe Casey in the early days did actually care about his workers, but now,, not just a no but a hell no... I wanted to leave with my 25 years, but with this new contract it looks like that is not going to happen.. I am leaving ASAP... Life is too short to spend one extra day in Auschwitz !

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
There's a guy in my building who was going to wait a few years to retire, but now that he's fully ODO'd and his route has changed for the worse, he says he's leaving in November. He says his knees are fair to middling, but his hips can't take the extra 30 stops a day. He had all of his shipping centers close in the neighborhood he delivers and they added a bunch of resi's to his route...and that was before ORION. Now there's even more miles and resi's. He's done. His wife works for UPS too though and she has another 10-15 years left in her so they can afford to let him retire. I myself am unsure of the cost/benefit of having a woman around just so I can retire sooner...I think I may enjoy working more than compromising. :funny:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
His wife works for UPS too though and she has another 10-15 years left in her so they can afford to let him retire. I myself am unsure of the cost/benefit of having a woman around just so I can retire sooner...I think I may enjoy working more than compromising. :funny:

You are going to compromise anyway! :whiteflag:

tejano408

No It Is That When I Retire I Just Don't Think It's Fair I Gonna Bust My Ass And When It's Time For Me To Retire I Want To Be Able To Afford My Health Benefits. You Really Don't Think That If This Contract Passes That It's Gonna Stay At $300 A Month That Would Be Wishful Thinking 20Yrs Down The Road A Few Contracts Down The Road It's Gonna Be $1000 A Month Because We Let This Contract pass

purplesky

We have alot of feeder drivers retiring and some package and car wash guys also. They are asking people to work through vacations. I dont ever remember that happening in my hub. They are actually short drivers.

If the housing market does ever really bounce back that might help push people into retirement sooner. I know lots of guys who plan to move out of state but are waiting for their homes to gain some value.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
No It Is That When I Retire I Just Don't Think It's Fair I Gonna Bust My Ass And When It's Time For Me To Retire I Want To Be Able To Afford My Health Benefits. You Really Don't Think That If This Contract Passes That It's Gonna Stay At $300 A Month That Would Be Wishful Thinking 20Yrs Down The Road A Few Contracts Down The Road It's Gonna Be $1000 A Month Because We Let This Contract pass
That is the longest movie and or book title ever. And no it's not going to go up because this contract was passed, it's going up because the cost of health care is going up. You don't blame UPS for milk going up do you? I understand what you're saying though...it would be nice to have a good option for retirees. This country tends to :censored2: on the people who worked hard to build it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That is the longest movie and or book title ever. And no it's not going to go up because this contract was passed, it's going up because the cost of health care is going up. You don't blame UPS for milk going up do you? I understand what you're saying though...it would be nice to have a good option for retirees. This country tends to :censored2: on the people who worked hard to build it.

There is a good insurance option for retirees. It's called Medicare. The ability to retire early comes at a cost.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
It only raised the retirement in the UPS/IBT plan. Not sure yet if our plan will follow suit.
Don't hold your breath. Talked with one of the trustees today regarding an increase in our pension to mirror the Central States increase and was told they are just in discussion mode and nothing can be released until the contract is ratified.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Don't hold your breath. Talked with one of the trustees today regarding an increase in our pension to mirror the Central States increase and was told they are just in discussion mode and nothing can be released until the contract is ratified.

Im budgeting for a 3k a month pension and 1k a month in health insurance. Anything else will be gravy.

oldupsman

House paid for....check, cars paid for.....check, wife still working(getting health insurance)......check, 80 and out......check, my last day will be July 31st with $4000 per month pension, thank you UPS but I am outa here!
You're going to be amazed, just amazed at how much happier your life will be. And you won't regret leaving for one minute.

oldngray

nowhere special
In my center about 15 of 60 drivers have retired in the past 1 1/2 years. Almost everyone with over 30 years and one guy with only 25. Basically, take the money and run while you can instead of waiting and gambling on something better in the next contract.