Max pay rate for preload

expertcookhere

Anyone know what the max pay rate is for someone on preload? I make 11.00, I started in Dec. of 08. I asked some people at my hub and I heard anything from 16.50 to 24.00. I just want to know where they cap it.

Thanks

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Unless you have some unusual local supplement or rider I've never heard of, there is no "max" pay rate, or "top rate" for preload for you. Should you continue in this position, upon your 4th year anniversary, the contractual minimum for you is $12.87 (Article 22, section 5(b), of the UPS/Teamsters National Master Agreement). At that time, you would start receiving the annual raises specified in Article 22, section 5(a). If your seniority date is before February 1, there is one remaining raise of $.475 before this contract expires. This assumes your local is not diverting any of your raises into your Health & Welfare or Pension Funds.
If there is a preloader working with you who started back in the mid-to-late seventies, he/she would be at what might be considered a top rate, about what a package car driver rate is.
There is a copy of the NMA here: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement-335360/ , look for pages 64-66. Or, better yet, get your own copies of the contract, and applicable supplements, riders, addenda, etc, from your union shop steward.

UPSGUY72

There is no progression as PT timer after your first couple of years you only get the same semi-annual raises everyone else gets with no cap so if you were a Pt for 20 years you would get all the semi annual raises during those 20 years.

JonFrum

Unless you have some unusual local supplement or rider I've never heard of, there is no "max" pay rate, or "top rate" for preload for you. Should you continue in this position, upon your 4th year anniversary, the contractual minimum for you is $12.87 (Article 22, section 5(b), of the UPS/Teamsters National Master Agreement). At that time, you would start receiving the annual raises specified in Article 22, section 5(a). If your seniority date is before February 1, there is one remaining raise of $.475 before this contract expires. This assumes your local is not diverting any of your raises into your Health & Welfare or Pension Funds.
If there is a preloader working with you who started back in the mid-to-late seventies, he/she would be at what might be considered a top rate, about what a package car driver rate is.
There is a copy of the NMA here: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement-335360/ , look for pages 64-66. Or, better yet, get your own copies of the contract, and applicable supplements, riders, addenda, etc, from your union shop steward.
Hondo, unfortunately there won't be any "split raise" of 47.5 cents. The Original Poster will be in Progression until December of 2013, which will be several months into our next Contract. (Assuming there is a next Contract.)

The part-time progression is five years, even though everyone thinks it's "only" four, because of the deceptive Contract language used.

- - - -
There is no 'Top Rate" to which a part-timer jumps up to when he finishes his 5-year progression, like with full-timers when they finish their 3-year progression.

A part-timer just continues to creep slowly upward year after year as each General Wage Increase comes due.

In New England, part-timers hired prior to mid-1982 earn 56 cents less than "Top Rate" package car drivers. Part-timers hired before 1973 or so, earn the same as "Top Rate" package car drivers. (currently $29.965)

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Hondo, unfortunately there won't be any "split raise" of 47.5 cents. The Original Poster will be in Progression until December of 2013, which will be several months into our next Contract. (Assuming there is a next Contract.)

The part-time progression is five years, even though everyone thinks it's "only" four, because of the deceptive Contract language used.

- - - -
JF, I've never been able to pick out that language, or heard of anyone having 5 years progression vs. the 4 it appears to be (as I recall the relevant verbage is identical between LU705 and the NMA). Could you point me in the right direction in the NMA?:confused2:

JonFrum

When Article 22, Section 5 (b) says, "Seniority plus four (4) years ..... $12.87" they know almost everyone will read quickly and assume a part-timer makes $12.87 during his fourth year.

But what they really mean is after the part-timer has completed his fourth year, he will begin making $12.87. Thus the $12.87 is paid throughout the part-timer's fifth year. After completing his fifth year he is finally out of the Progression and eligible for COLA raises (if any) and General Wage Increases. But by then the current Contract will have already expired.