Maximum walking distance?

Dr.Brownz

What is the maximum distance a driver is required to walk to make a delivery? Is there anything in the contract about it? A couple drivers have claimed there is and also said in certain areas drivers who deliver large mall complexes that require lots of walking get bonus pay. Anyone know anything?

What is the longest you personally have walked?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There is no language in the master about walking distance, it's possible that one of the supplements does but I've never heard of it.

Indecisi0n

giphy.gif

oldngray

nowhere special
My area is nothing but walking. Management hates covering my area because the walking up houses. Up to 100 yards

I remember one time I had a performance ride ( oops, not performance - methods) and the sup with me insisted I call out UPS as soon as I stepped off the truck. Even though the house was about 100 yards away and wouldn't hear me. So I started very quietly saying "UPS" as soon as my foot hit the ground even though it was pointless just to mess with him. His "methods" also changed from stop to stop if it was slower to follow methods. But would try to ding me if I took any shortcuts. UPS had messed with route allowances of several drivers and we were all suddenly much worse on paper so UPS had to try to justify their numbers. After a couple of months the time allowances quietly got changed back to what they had previously been with no explanations as to why.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I remember one time I had a performance ride ( oops, not performance - methods) and the sup with me insisted I call out UPS as soon as I stepped off the truck. Even though the house was about 100 yards away and wouldn't hear me. So I started very quietly saying "UPS" as soon as my foot hit the ground even though it was pointless just to mess with him. His "methods" also changed from stop to stop if it was slower to follow methods. But would try to ding me if I took any shortcuts. UPS had messed with route allowances of several drivers and we were all suddenly much worse on paper so UPS had to try to justify their numbers. After a couple of months the time allowances quietly got changed back to what they had previously been with no explanations as to why.
Time allowances going back? Lol

We just keep looking worse and worse here somehow it's all the drivers fault. Even though drivers are going out with twice as many stops as they did 15-20 years ago.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What is the maximum distance a driver is required to walk to make a delivery? Is there anything in the contract about it? A couple drivers have claimed there is and also said in certain areas drivers who deliver large mall complexes that require lots of walking get bonus pay. Anyone know anything?

What is the longest you personally have walked?

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Bonus pay for walking around a mall?? Your co-workers are screwing with you.

I once walked about 1/4 mile down a long, hilly driveway when I had a S!÷+ route and a load to match. My legs were burning by the time I reached the house, that just resulted in a longer climb back UP the driveway.

UPS' methods work great against the company, too

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
My area is nothing but walking. Management hates covering my area because the walking up houses. Up to 100 yards
100 yards I'm backing every time or pulling down driveway to get turned around. Work smarter not harder lol. But with that said a bidded driver knows where to back and where to enter and turn around safely, because they run that route every day.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm sure glad all that "walking a stop off BS" wasn't around when I worked. If I could park on the customers front step that's how close I got. Especially when it was 20 below.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm sure glad all that "walking a stop off BS" wasn't around when I worked. If I could park on the customers front step that's how close I got. Especially when it was 20 below.

That's how it should be but when they piss me off, I walk em' all off. It took me almost 40 mins one day this summer to walk off one driveway that is about 1.25 mile long.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
100 yards I'm backing every time or pulling down driveway to get turned around. Work smarter not harder lol. But with that said a bidded driver knows where to back and where to enter and turn around safely, because they run that route every day.

Work smarter is exactly what I do. Rather walk than deliver more. I have the best telematics numbers day in and out. They cant touch you when you can do it, "methods "- like they want it done

govols019

You smell that?
Had one house that was almost exactly 1/2 mile from road to end of drive. The only way to turn around when you got to the house was to back in the yard. After a good rain if they got something I would bag it and leave it behind the brick columns at the head of their driveway. Customer complained and they put a note in the DIAD to always deliver to the house. So.....I walk. What do I care...I get paid by the hour.

aiian

^ reminds me of the concern I got for DRing to a ladies garage.

She made them put a note in EDD that all deliveries were to go to the front door... no exceptions.

Wee guess who got a bulk order of irregs from PB Kids a few weeks later.

I wish I could have taken a picture of her face when I said "Sorry ma'am, no exceptions." and hopped back in my PC.