Maybe Your Manager Is Under the Illusion He/She Is Smart!

wkmac

Do you ever get the sense that the more powerful people get, the more foolish they become? You’re not the only one. Four university professors concluded that power dependably breeds overconfidence, and overconfidence dependably leads to bad decisions.
The four wanted to know, are such overconfident people drawn to power, or does power itself create their overconfidence?
They had subjects write detailed accounts of times when they had had or had lacked power. They then had them answer a series of factual questions and rate how confident they were about their answers. They found that the people who had been primed to think of themselves as more powerful had more confidence in their answers than the rest—and yet their answers were actually less accurate. Yes, “confidence in one’s answers was inversely correlated with accuracy.”

Study Finds That Having Power Can Make You Stupid

So the next time that manager stands there uttering what you know it stupid and then they demand of you why you have a devious grin on your face, just hand them this link, laugh your ass off and walk away saying loud enough for them to hear, "Now we both know the truth!"

texan

Truthfully I am very Blessed right now. I have an outstanding manager who has a lot of common sense.

I have had others, and worked around many others also. Will not affirm or deny any thing about them.

But my current one has not let power go to his head. :happy2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Truthfully I am very Blessed right now. I have an outstanding manager who has a lot of common sense.

I have had others, and worked around many others also. Will not affirm or deny any thing about them.

But my current one has not let power go to his head. :happy2:

I have a pretty good manager right now also. It seems like Corporate has backed off a little and is allowing local management to actually manage and make good business decisions instead of making them blindly follow a hopeless Plan. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts, although I fully expect the insanity to resume as soon as the ink on the new labor agreement is dry.

rocket man

3 out of 4 are vindictive and a lot worse. Theres one who( if) he had to could do a route run the center and shows respect the others suck.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hardly a new idea or observation. Let me paraphrase this for you, "The self-assured are more likely to be promoted to leadership positions."

People who quiver and quake about making a decision and spend a lot of time thinking wondering if they made the right decision do not make good leaders.

Good leaders make a decision and then find a way to make it happen.

Floyd Gondolli

My outlook is this: there is a culture in major league baseball, big league players don't respect or give all of themselves if they play for a skipper that has not done a tour of duty (played) in major league baseball. That's my position.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Hardly a new idea or observation. Let me paraphrase this for you, "The self-assured are more likely to be promoted to leadership positions."

People who quiver and quake about making a decision and spend a lot of time thinking wondering if they made the right decision do not make good leaders.

Good leaders make a decision and then find a way to make it happen.

Good UPS leaders make a decision and we have to make it happen.

texan

Good UPS leaders make a decision and we have to make it happen.

Always. That is my job. Following their orders / direction. Sometimes I question, and wonder why.
My current manager will let me ask why, and solicits feedback one-on-one, not in front of others.
But when it is "do it this way", I will fully and to the best of my ability do it. That is how I was raised and shaped.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Management in my tenure at UPS has been like the ebb and flow of the tides some high and some low. And every once in a while like now a spring tide very high locally that is.
My opinion is that if management listens takes a cue from the peeps with the right work ethic ( 85% my estimate) who have been there and done that we would be a better company.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
None could have said that here, in my last 10 years, at least.

Out of all the supes/mngrs that I had in the last ten, not a ONE of them had ever driven ANYTHING UPS, P/C or feeders!

But they all scored 100% at reciting the Ten Point Commentary.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
But they all scored 100% at reciting the Ten Point Commentary.

id say its beyond that, any intelligent person who does there research knows the reality of operations,, its sad really,, dont be mad at your immediate operations level boss, there are a puppet, they cannot change the plan that comes down daily from above,,,they know its unrealistic but god forbid they question it , they are told to cut cars, make everyone in your center have a 10 plus day, then have corporate ask why everyone is over 9/5