Mbe deisel engine

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The 904 is far from perfect, but they stay far longer running than not. Biggest problem currently turning up is failed ECUs and chaffed harness wires behind the park brake handle. Terrible place for a huge wad of wires and a handle that won't stay put.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
No. Ecu determines engine position and injects fuel and gives a spark to the cylinder closest to the downside of the power stroke. I would suppose a starter motor would still be needed for a cold start.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
No. Ecu determines engine position and injects fuel and gives a spark to the cylinder closest to the downside of the power stroke. I would suppose a starter motor would still be needed for a cold start.

Aha! Kinda like bumping an old single motorcycle. Now I understand.

bbsam

Staff member
Hmmm. Do you foresee any problems with it?

oldngray

nowhere special
I remember when it was said those 4.3's would replace all of the other gas engines in the fleet. My P1000 had the old 292 straight six that probably lasted 300,000 miles and was still running after the last of those 4.3's were gone.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I was under the impression that the 4.3's once they were pinned down were pretty reliable. Soon we'll have cylinder deactivation and start stop tech. If only they'd remove the 67 mph governor on the gas motors things would be a little better for our freeway groups.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The old P5s did good on the freeway relatively speaking if the were equipped with 411s in place of the standard 456s. Replacement ECUs from MDC did not have the governor feature.

bbsam

Staff member
The old P5s did good on the freeway relatively speaking if the were equipped with 411s in place of the standard 456s. Replacement ECUs from MDC did not have the governor feature.
what are the 1200's geared at? 588? With the GM 6.0. Or are all those diesels?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I believe the old GMCs with the 9r22.5 wheels are something like 6.17. Apart from that I don't have any ratio information or any time yet to determine them. The 904 is governed to about 2300 RPM. A brief digital tach can be called up on the instrument menu.