McCain and Palin

brownhorn

Only the pundits are saying McCain chose her to pick up disillusioned Hillary women. I haven't heard McCain say that. He has to know that any woman slimy enough to vote for Hillary would have no interest in a lady with class.

As Bob Dylan once said, "you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." I was delivering on my route when my wife called and told me about the choice. My first reaction, without hearing from a pundit: "wow are they pandering to hillary's supporters!" If you think he just picked her for her great qualifications, you are very naive to say the least. McCain has been going after Hillary's supporters since she suspended her campaign.

Leftinbuilding

A little emotional there L I B....Hillary voters are slimy?, and you claim to know a lady of class that you had know idea who she was yesterday.

Not emotional at all, thank you. Yes, I consider Hillary, and by extension, those who support her, slimy. My opinion is based on her stance on issues of morality. My opinion of Palin is based on the same criteria, so yes, I consider her a lady of class.

brownhorn

Obama wasnt the best and most qualified candidate, but that's who Democrats wanted anyway

You are entitled to your opinion, but he didn't win this in a walkover. He had to come from basically unknown to serious candidate all the while taking on and vanquishing the vaunted Clinton machine and the presumed heir apparent.

Leftinbuilding

As Bob Dylan once said, "you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." I was delivering on my route when my wife called and told me about the choice. My first reaction, without hearing from a pundit: "wow are they pandering to hillary's supporters!" If you think he just picked her for her great qualifications, you are very naive to say the least. McCain has been going after Hillary's supporters since she suspended her campaign.

By all appearances Palin is polar opposite to Hillary. No true Hillary supporter would ever vote for her. Unless you are saying women are fickle and would vote for any female based on sexism. Maybe in the demo party..............

tourists24

You are entitled to your opinion, but he didn't win this in a walkover. He had to come from basically unknown to serious candidate all the while taking on and vanquishing the vaunted Clinton machine and the presumed heir apparent.
this is not an opinion; unless you are saying that Obama IS the best and most qualified Democrat. Then I guess that would be my opinion yes. My whole point was simply the Dem's voted who they wanted, not who the most qualified was.

drewed

Shankman
this is not an opinion; unless you are saying that Obama IS the best and most qualified Democrat. Then I guess that would be my opinion yes. My whole point was simply the Dem's voted who they wanted, not who the most qualified was.

Very true Tourist, but we're gauging this on the generally accepted terms of qualification good ol boys, long term washington insiders, lobbied heavily.

Where the big difference between Palin and Obama who are (if you go by the above terms) equally unqualified, Palin spends time in her constinuency you can be as likely to see her on the river fishing, or shopping for groceries, or giving a speach at an event. Obama has been a senator for about 3 years, he has spent the last 18 months campaigning, the first 18 months as a Jr freshman senator are spent learning process trying to make friends in high places, so if you use that logic hes gonna spend the first 2 years with his thumb up his ass trying to figure out what to do, and the next 2 trying to get relected.

Im not going to draw comparisons between the current admin and one obama would have based on policy but based on how it would be run would be very similar, GW was a washington outsider much like obama and both picked people heavily rooted in the washington game, expect obama to be very lost, and biden to be a very strong behind the scenes runnng things kinda veep

tieguy

Banned
Oh my gosh, are you guys delusional. This is total pandering to Hillary's disaffected supporters. Give them a little credit; they didn't want A WOMAN--they wanted HILLARY. Hell, if you wanted a woman so bad, how about Kay Bailey Hutchison? If this were a man, there is no way the two year governor of ALASKA is on the national ticket. This is the first major decision McCain faced as possible president. Obama's line about being willing to debate McCain about temperament and judgment has proven prescient. I can only imagine the howling by you guys had Obama made a similar choice. Hypocritical much?

Obama picking a conservative female? You're right I would have been worried.

tieguy

Banned
Sour grapes?...lol...you mean some natural laughing gas supplied by those who share your view trying to convince themselves that Miss Alaska was your best and most qualified candidate.

You're right Obama talked change but did not understand this simple concept and took a 30 year hardcore well entrenched DC insider as has running mate.

Meanwhile John McCain actually walked the talk and brings forth a fresh face that puts the liberals in the unenviable position of slamming what they have always wanted..... a female executive.

This is actually quite hilarious.

So here you have Obama conceding the experience issue by selecting Biden.

McCain picking a running mate that will give Hillary fans a place to go.

Its going to be a great race for the presidency.:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
A little emotional there L I B....Hillary voters are slimy?, and you claim to know a lady of class that you had know idea who she was yesterday.

Obama was not chosen on a whim....he announced his intent well over a year ago, campaigned a long grueling democratic process, and earn his nomination fair and square. No similarities at all.

propped up by the rock star campaign again evident with the DNC moving the convention to a stadium packed with 75,000 liberls flown in from all over the country.
Paired up with Joe Biden who when running for the democratic ticket was barely able to beat out "none of the above" in his limited run for the presidency.

Should be interesting when the debates start up and Obama is actually expected to speak with no crib notes or telepromter supplied.

tieguy

Banned

Are you kidding . McCain only has to show up to get those vote. Lets see will I vote for John McCain who has years of experience preparing for this job or vote for Dumbo the elephant and his circus act.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Whos the rock star now:happy2:Ive been watching her for awhile, just because I admired her.
For the voters who are pro life, heres your girl. She not only talks the talk She walked the walk. It leaves no doubt in anyones mind as to how she feels about aborting a baby, for any reason. This was not a decision above her paygrade.
She knew her baby had downs syndrome, and chose not to abort him.
I think she is a fresh change. Very likeable, while not considered a qualification, is sure nice.
And her experience as PTA, mayor, commissioner of the ethics board of Alaska Oil and Gas, city council, surely ties the expereince level of community organizer.
Then throw in Commander of Alaskan National Guard, and she has more military experience.
A lifetime member of the NRA. God Bless America.
I saw Mcains ad wishing Obama well on his night. Personally I would not have spent the money. I thought it was class, then the next day with this pick, I had to pull my truck over, and listen and I was cheering. Now there is some class if ever I saw it!! Not because she is a woman, because she does what she says. Reform in Washington, is what we need.

moreluck

golden ticket member
What I don't get is why the Dems. keep harping about the Rep.'s 2nd pick and her inexperience, when their friendirst pick has even less. So I think 'inexperience' is still on the table, but a worse case of it on the Dem. side.

wkmac

Oh my gosh, are you guys delusional. This is total pandering to Hillary's disaffected supporters. Give them a little credit; they didn't want A WOMAN--they wanted HILLARY. Hell, if you wanted a woman so bad, how about Kay Bailey Hutchison? If this were a man, there is no way the two year governor of ALASKA is on the national ticket. This is the first major decision McCain faced as possible president. Obama's line about being willing to debate McCain about temperament and judgment has proven prescient. I can only imagine the howling by you guys had Obama made a similar choice. Hypocritical much?

Brownhorn,

As for going after the disaffected Hillary voters I don't disagree at all. I heard about half of Palin's acceptance speech on the car radio going to work and when she credited the importance of Geraldine Ferraro and Hillary Clinton and by name none the less, that was not a shot across the bow but direct aim at mid-ship. The question would be, did it have an effect? At 11:32 am yesterday morning, about an hour before Palin uttered those words, this is what Geraldine Ferraro herself had to say on the blogs in Fox Forum.

August 29th, 2008 11:32 AM Eastern
This Might Do It for McCain

By Geraldine Ferraro
Former Democratic Vice Presidential Candidate/FOX News Political Contributor
It’s going to be a very interesting campaign. I must say that several months ago I said that it would be great if there was a woman on the ticket — that I felt that John McCain would have to pick someone, especially if Hillary was the nominee. But without Hillary being the nominee it’s really quite equally as important because people are looking for a smart campaign and I think this might do it.
There are a lot of women who are disaffected by how Hillary was treated by the media, by how she was treated by the Obama campaign, by how she was treated by the Democratic National Committee — [Democratic party chairman] Howard Dean not speaking up when sexism raised its ugly head in the media. They’ll be looking to see what happens now.

It's true she didn't mention Palin by name but the effect is still the same IMO. And now it seems Hillary herself has come out to compliment Palin on her achievement.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/29/clinton-congratulates-palin/

But wait, there's much more here than meets the eye. There is a conservative/libertarian faction of republicans who have drifted away and now set poised to vote Bob Barr. In some states, Barr has polled in double digits and I don't think it's much surprise most of that voting would come at the expense of the republican nominee. As tight as the race is, these states could see Obama pick up those electoral votes and who knows, that may make the difference into the WH. Palin places those votes back into play for McCain. 2 small examples.

1) Was Palin an unknown in "libertarian" circles? Not quiet!

From Sept. 2007: https://web.archive.org/web/2014103...317/sarah-palin-would-be-best-vp-for-ron-paul

It's just a blog mine you but the name was out there in those circles.

2) Not a ringing endorsement of Paul by any stretch but when you consider other aspects of her, it does catch your eye just a bit.

Let's also not forget the big Ron Paul Liberty rally in Minn. next week across town from the RNC Convention and Palin's choice may help take a bite out of that as well. I don't think that aspect figured into her selection however but it's just extra gravy on the biscuits after the fact.

I think McCain's choice had 3 goals in mind and in those areas I do think he hit a grand slam so to speak. The first was to get as much of the Hillary vote as he could. 2nd, the stop any bleeding that may run off to Barr of other 3rd party and finally, he sells himself a maverick so do as a maverick would. Palin will also sell well with the pro-gun, pro-hunter, pro-fisherman crowd but then she can portray the woman's touch too.

Acting as Governor, she has her newborn with her and this will sell with many a mother out there who has to balance job and motherhood at the same time.

Right now both campiagns IMO are purely about image but where Palin could get really tested is in a debate against Biden. However, if she continues the kinda Green Acres appeal which lulls Biden into thinking it's a cakewalk, this could end up being a real rope-a-dope too. If he comes across to tough, it could score as anti-woman and this could prove a negative for Obama/Biden. If they attack Palin to much, I'm betting the farm they start making the Maggie Thatcher comparison and this only helps Palin plus they start having the covert republican operatives dragging out the dirty DNC/Howard Dean tricks that Ferraro spoke of.

As for full disclosure, Palin's pick has in no way changed my mind (so far I'm still voting N.O.T.A.) because if elected I think McCain will do to Palin what FDR did to Truman. And if elected, I hope he does because I'm not so sure she'll take that crap and she'll have millions and millions of women on her side too. Now that would be worth the price of admission if the party elites plays that game with Palin which backfires in their face. Hmmm, might be worth wasting a vote just to watch that alone!

:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:

BTW: Not sure what I hit to make the last 3 paragraphs act as a link to the UTube piece above but it was not intended.

wkmac

What I don't get is why the Dems. keep harping about the Rep.'s 2nd pick and her inexperience, when their friendirst pick has even less. So I think 'inexperience' is still on the table, but a worse case of it on the Dem. side.

Moreluck,

Not arguing your point but to be fair, based purely on population, being governor of Alaska is not much more than being mayor of a city with 700k citizens. Geographically however, we're talking a whole other ballgame in that if Alaska were it's own country would make for an interesting discussion. I think the question of experience may factor more with Obama/McCain comparisons until you raise the question of McCain's age which will play into this whole exercise at some point. But then this could piss off us AARP types of which I am one!

:happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
wkmac,
Being gov. of Alaka?.....Alaska(626,932) & Delaware(783,600) are not that much different except for land mass.

over9five

Staff member
I think she is a geat pick for VP!

OH MY GOD! A normal person on a presidential ticket!

Just what the country needs, me thinks. She will bring an "everyday" perspective to Washington.

Very exciting!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
wkmac,
Being gov. of Alaska?.....Alaska(626,932) & Delaware(783,600) are not that much different except for land mass.
I think we are in agreement More.
However, a Senator does not run anything other than their office and usually not too much there.
A Gov actually runs a state, meets a budget, heads a Nat Guard ... they have to make decisions and suffer the consequences. You never heard a Senator say "The Buck Stops Here".

I still say she has more experience than the other three "Good Ole" Boys put together.

That was what was so appealing about Romney. He knows what it takes to manage, he knows what it takes to create jobs, he knows what it takes to meet a budget, etc.
That's something none of these three Senators on the ticket have any experience in.