Me love management...

tieguy

Banned
Actually, I advised him to work as instructed. Reread his original post. He's not talking about handling packages, hes talking about crawling in filth under a walkway where people spit and blow snot. It is entirely reasonable and appropriate to expect gloves and protective gear for that type of work.

yes my friend you told him to be as difficult as possible. Don't waste your time BS ing me. Be honest about it.

tieguy

Banned
What's the problem with that? They told him to crawl around in snot and spit, they had it coming.

They told him to retrieve packages from a specific area. he defined their instructions as being told to climb around in snot and spit. A little common sense and a broom handle or shepardshook would keep him from having to crawl around in such.

Wubzzy

They told him to retrieve packages from a specific area. he defined their instructions as being told to climb around in snot and spit. A little common sense and a broom handle or shepardshook would keep him from having to crawl around in such.

Apparently YOU didn't understand the whole concept. I didn't define it as being told to climb around in snot and spit, they instructed me to get packages that were UNDERNEATH A GRATING THAT HAD SNOT AND SPIT IN IT. don't twist my words; all i was looking for was some advice, and apparently you also didn't read the part where i mentioned my supervisor being a pretty cool guy. I wasn't looking for conflict or to make anyone else's life any more difficult. YOU on the other hand are making it difficult for other people to actually give me some sound advice. Who cares, in the end it's not your problem anyways....

grami72

well....after i told my supervisor that it was a major safety issue and that if i didn't have the proper equipment to go into the gratings to get the packages that i wasn't gonna crawl under; he looked at me like as if it was game over or something. makes me happy to know that i won't be doing that anymore (so i hope). :wink2: Now, about that union rule book......

Your supervisor should have instructed you to work as directed. If you refused, you could have tried to make your case at the State Panel.

sx2700

Banned
Your supervisor should have instructed you to work as directed. If you refused, you could have tried to make your case at the State Panel.

LOL @ grami.....If everyone got fired for not working as directed, half the work force would be in the soup line.

tieguy

Banned
Apparently YOU didn't understand the whole concept. I didn't define it as being told to climb around in snot and spit, they instructed me to get packages that were UNDERNEATH A GRATING THAT HAD SNOT AND SPIT IN IT. don't twist my words; all i was looking for was some advice, and apparently you also didn't read the part where i mentioned my supervisor being a pretty cool guy. I wasn't looking for conflict or to make anyone else's life any more difficult. YOU on the other hand are making it difficult for other people to actually give me some sound advice. Who cares, in the end it's not your problem anyways....

I gave you some advice. I gave you advice on how to handle a simple situation without trying to deliberately be difficult.

It was a lesson in maturity that you were not ready for.

You were looking for advice that will now put you at odds with management.

Soberups was more then happy to supply you with that advice since he does not have to suffer the consequences.

If it was me you would be wearing all that hot protective gear all summer and you would still be climbing underneath those grates.

tieguy

Banned

I've had the soberups types ask for the protective gear. After they wore it for a couple of hours in 100 degree heat they all of a sudden found a simple way to get the job done without endangering their safety.

H

hseofpayne

Now that he has pawned this job off on somebody else, what do we tell the next guy or girl who comes here looking to ditch this work. Times sure have changed since I was on preload, whatever the manager said, thats what we did. I would figure out a way to retrieve those pkgs without climbing under there. Learning to make your wheels squeek to get out of work won't sit to well with the next guy who gets this job. Either find a safe way to do it, or try to get changes made to grates, don't just pass the buck.

bellesotico

BOXstar
now That He Has Pawned This Job Off On Somebody Else, What Do We Tell The Next Guy Or Girl Who Comes Here Looking To Ditch This Work. Times Sure Have Changed Since I Was On Preload, Whatever The Manager Said, Thats What We Did. I Would Figure Out A Way To Retrieve Those Pkgs Without Climbing Under There. Learning To Make Your Wheels Squeek To Get Out Of Work Won't Sit To Well With The Next Guy Who Gets This Job. either Find A Safe Way To Do It, Or Try To Get Changes Made To Grates, Don't Just Pass The Buck.

Absolutely..totally Agree!!!!!!!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Either find a safe way to do it, or try to get changes made to grates, don't just pass the buck.
God forbid that UPS would ever take steps to actually solve the problem by redesigning the grates or pressure-washing the filth out from under them. Perhaps the Safety Committee should get involved here....oops, never mind, they are probably too busy handing out cookies and stickers and thinking of new acronyms for us to memorize.

H

hseofpayne

God forbid that UPS would ever take steps to actually solve the problem by redesigning the grates or pressure-washing the filth out from under them. Perhaps the Safety Committee should get involved here....oops, never mind, they are probably too busy handing out cookies and stickers and thinking of new acronyms for us to memorize.

If you and your kind didn't spend so much time and energy trying to get OUT of work, the rest of us wouldn't have to work so hard! What do you propose we do with those pkgs under the grate between now and when UPS can change grates. Do we go to "Other Non-Delivery" and type in "under grate"!The safety committee may be busy handing out cookies and stickers, but you manage to stay pretty busy handing out bad advice!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you and your kind didn't spend so much time and energy trying to get OUT of work, the rest of us wouldn't have to work so hard! What do you propose we do with those pkgs under the grate between now and when UPS can change grates. Do we go to "Other Non-Delivery" and type in "under grate"!The safety committee may be busy handing out cookies and stickers, but you manage to stay pretty busy handing out bad advice!
For $28 an hour I would be more than happy to crawl under a grate in spit and snot to retrieve a package....AFTER I got some gloves and goggles.
Perhaps the question should be...WHY are we paying someone to crawl under that grate in the first place? Why not FIX the problem instead?

H

hseofpayne

For $28 an hour I would be more than happy to crawl under a grate in spit and snot to retrieve a package....AFTER I got some gloves and goggles.
Perhaps the question should be...WHY are we paying someone to crawl under that grate in the first place? Why not FIX the problem instead?

Good Grief, again w/ the gloves and goggles. For the life of me, I don't see why ANYONE has to crawl under a grate. There have been several good suggestions on here(j-hooks, carwash poles) on how to get these pkgs. w/o crawling around in spit. My point is, instead of looking for a way to get out of doing a job, find a better way to it! You are offering a $10,000 solution to a $10 problem. From the sound of the original poster, he could care less as long as he doesn't have to do it. Problems don't get solved that way. As a side , my manager used to tell me wasn't sure if I was extremely smart or extremely lazy, either way, I always find the easiest, shortest, most efficient way to run a rte!! Don't work harder(wearing goggles, gloves,jackets,boots in summer) work smarter! Now thats all I got to say about that.

tieguy

Banned
God forbid that UPS would ever take steps to actually solve the problem by redesigning the grates or pressure-washing the filth out from under them..

God forbid if you would ever give someone advice on how to work cooperatively rather then always trying to push others into battles you probably do not fight.

It can't be that bad...don't be a cady-ass.
I step in dog and cat crap every day...not to mention the smell of some of those houses with a nasty family that doesn't know what a garbage can looks like.

H

hseofpayne

It can't be that bad...don't be a cady-ass.
I step in dog and cat crap every day...not to mention the smell of some of those houses with a nasty family that doesn't know what a garbage can looks like.
Here Here! Ever delivered to a house than had 50 cats running around inside? The smell when they open the door will almost knock you out!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Excuse me, I got sick at the whole snot and spit thing.
I have a loader who hawkers snot and spitoon in the back of my vehicle I have to maneuver pkgs out of all day. Its not nice, its not respectable and its not necessary.
So there in lies your problem, have the union come in and monitor the employees who need to use the restroom or a kleenex, then it will be just dirt and dust, problem solved.
And the reason UPS cannot get good part timers anymore, coz they are all snot nosed little sh#$%. (not all, but anyone who doesnt have a certain amount of hygiene?? not too much to ask) That just disgusting.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
When an employee said that there was spit on the floor and didnt want to get the packages I would observe the employee who was doing the spitting and the next day make them get under the belt and retreive the packages. After about a week of that it would stop. Just how i handled it..

GayOfThrones

Actually, I advised him to work as instructed. Reread his original post. He's not talking about handling packages, hes talking about crawling in filth under a walkway where people spit and blow snot. It is entirely reasonable and appropriate to expect gloves and protective gear for that type of work.

How about you filthy Union workers just stop SPITTING INDOORS!

Disgusting and classless!