Meal Period Exemption???

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Beginning this year, Feeder and Package Drivers in California will be exempt from the Ca state law regarding meal periods?

The diad prompts will be removed and there will be no more meal period monitoring(and I would assume discipline)?

Drivers will still be responsible for following their Local Bargaining Agreement rules?

I wonder if this new law will be misinterpreted or abused.

UPSGUY72

Here in MA your are required to input your lunch into your DIAD whether you take it or not is up to you. This is becasue state law requires employers to give atleast a 30 minute lunch paid or not. We have to imput are lunch unto the DIAD so there is proof that we took a lunch. If we don't enter the info into are DIAD then the records are say we didn't get a lunch even if we took one. If the state did a audit UPS would get into trouble for not following the labor laws.

I would think that you would still have to enter your lunch in your DIAD whether or not your took it. Otherwise a driver could say that he isn't allowed to take a lunch break.

rod

Retired 22 years
Beginning this year, Feeder and Package Drivers in California will be exempt from the Ca state law regarding meal periods?

The diad prompts will be removed and there will be no more meal period monitoring(and I would assume discipline)?

Drivers will still be responsible for following their Local Bargaining Agreement rules?

Do you even need to ask?:happy2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Previously, we had to start our meal period between the 4th and 6th hour -- no exception. We had to take our full meal period--in So Cal it was 30min per the local, in Nor Cal I believe it was 1 hr.
If we punched in our lunch outside those boundaries or skipped it altogether we faced progressive discipline.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you enter a lunch but do not take it, I think you should be fired for dishonesty. MHO

I resent people telling me what I should do on my personal time.
I should be able to do whatever I want to on my lunch period ... my opinion is that you and the Teamsters and the government are fascists for trying to tell me what I do on my own time. :wink2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I should be able to do whatever I want to on my lunch period ... my opinion is that you and the Teamsters and the government are fascists for trying to tell me what I do on my own time. :wink2:

I agree with you.

I think you should be allowed to deliver packages on your personal time....as long as you are compensated for that time at the contractually agreed upon hourly rate.:wink2:

brownman15

it is a violation of D.O.T hours of service to work on your lunch or time

Catatonic

Nine Lives
it is a violation of D.O.T hours of service to work on your lunch or time

Especially the government!

I wonder how they define work ... if you take lunch at your house (on area) and mow the grass - is that work?

What if the driver has a side business and makes phone calls during his/her lunch?

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Especially the government!

I wonder how they define work ... if you take lunch at your house (on area) and mow the grass - is that work?

What if the driver has a side business and makes phone calls during his/her lunch?

What if I want to go pick up some furniture or plants on my lunch and drop them off at my house....I would deduct the additional miles and add a couple gallons of fuel to the truck of course....:wink2:

mcl

Lunch is not a paid time.... so if you do deliver on our lunch you will not be getting paid for it.....I hope they just change the hour lunch here...way too long....

TheDick

For about 5 minutes they told us to take an hour. This is after getting used to the 30minute lunch, but the union told us the hour thing was bull dooky.
I heard the same that the union and UPS agreed to new lunch rules, just havent seen them in writing.
I need a new copy of the contract.

A

anonymous6

can u elaborate? have not heard this.in sacramento