Meal Period Exemption???

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I really don't care what anyone else at UPS does. Why should I? No one else gives a second thought about me, teamster members included. Everyone at UPS is there for themselves and their families and no one else. I'm not passing judgement but merely stating a fact.

Go ahead and run your lunch because I really don't care. More power to you if you don't have to deliver in the dark.

However, please don't whine to me on the walk in to work that you permantely have an extra 25 house calls because I could not care less.

That's the spirit Brownie!!!
Apathy is always a viable option.
Combine the words apathy and pathetic and you get apathetic.
If we had more people like you and those you have described, we'd have less people like you.
Unfortunately, I think that is exactly what's happening.

brownedout

This issue has been collectively bargained. It is the first sentence of Article 17 of the National Master Agreement:

"All Employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer"

It doesnt get much clearer than that. If you are working, you must be paid for the time. Whether or not you are in violation of state law or any other provisions in the contract by skipping your lunch does not change the fact that you are still entitled to be paid for the time you work.

Sober, understand where you're coming from. However what I would like to see, using 177's supplement in this case. ARTICLE 42. MEAL PERIOD SECTION 1 (a) A driver will be allowed twenty (20) minutes for breakfast and forty (40) minutes for lunch.......If we're required to take this meal time and are not going to be compensated wheteher taken or not, eliminate the will be allowed and replace with MUST TAKE. Otherwise we should be allowed to work through and be compensated as you,me and countless others have forever argued. There is no english anywhere about compensation for unused meal time. THERE NEEDS TO BE SOMETHING CONCRETE! Code 5's are given out completely arbitrarilly, and on a whim (and I'm not even here to argue that, just stating what I've seen/witnessed) Here's hoping for some clearer wording on this issue for our next contract.

browniehound

That's the spirit Brownie!!!
Apathy is always a viable option.
Combine the words apathy and pathetic and you get apathetic.
If we had more people like you and those you have described, we'd have less people like you.
Unfortunately, I think that is exactly what's happening.

Thanks for the compliment Bubble. Its just the way it is Bubble. If you think anything different, then I don't know. People are just out for themselves at UPS and every other company in the world. It was this way 5000 years ago and will be 5000 years from now.

Don't agree with me? Its ok, you're entitled to your opinion. However, check the history of the human race. It says it all...

i wish we could work right through our lunch...i hate working 11 hours a day...making it 12 with the boring 1 hour lunch that makes me work slower..i dont like being out there that long...i hope dot changes the law to 11 max..this way it would go back to the old over 10? get that boy some help! supes doing routes..laying off casuals 3 yrs in a row...no ft drivers hired in 3 yrs...volume up...personal life gone..id work through my lunch if i got paid..but why pay ups to work an extra hour? they are making money off of the drivers that do that and end up screwing everyone else thinking...50% of the drivers work through their lunch..give the other guy 40 more stops...its getting ridiculous...union is mad yes...but...nothing changes.. i heard dot may be changing 14 hours to 11..anyone heard of this? not trying to put anyone down that runs their lunch...i did it..but i've gotten fed up with it and i make sure i take my 1 hour lunch and 2 10s...if im over 11..3 10s..i have an infant that i would like to see grow up...im missing him growing up..but idont wanna pay that ot hour to ups just because they over dispatched me... 200 stops 350-500 pckgs...48 miles driven.. 3 pickups..

DriverX

Walking is the privilege of the tenured. Walking at a brisk pace, a sure sign of the journeyman. Running, however, is for the greenhorn and the hungry bastard outside the clubhouse door.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, understand where you're coming from. However what I would like to see, using 177's supplement in this case. ARTICLE 42. MEAL PERIOD SECTION 1 (a) A driver will be allowed twenty (20) minutes for breakfast and forty (40) minutes for lunch.......If we're required to take this meal time and are not going to be compensated wheteher taken or not, eliminate the will be allowed and replace with MUST TAKE. Otherwise we should be allowed to work through and be compensated as you,me and countless others have forever argued. There is no english anywhere about compensation for unused meal time. THERE NEEDS TO BE SOMETHING CONCRETE! Code 5's are given out completely arbitrarilly, and on a whim (and I'm not even here to argue that, just stating what I've seen/witnessed) Here's hoping for some clearer wording on this issue for our next contract.

Article 17 of the National Master agreement has this covered.

You will be paid for all hours worked. That includes any work done during a break or meal period. If you skip your lunch they can theoretically discipline you but that does not change the fact that they still owe you for the time. If you file for the pay based upon Art 17 you should win.

SWORDFISH

I think everyone that skips breaks and lunch is crazy. I notice the people that do that on a regular basis get more work added to them. I love that lunch is a law because if it wasnt we would be run to death all day. I would personally have an 8hr day request, make sure your on the 9.5s list, and/or take a second lunch and go to the game during that time.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I like having a couple lunch skippers in the group for the days that I'm heavy, when they come see me to get their split I always thank them sincerely and wish them well. I think it's important that they know their efforts are appreciated :wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think everyone that skips breaks and lunch is crazy. I notice the people that do that on a regular basis get more work added to them. I love that lunch is a law because if it wasnt we would be run to death all day. I would personally have an 8hr day request, make sure your on the 9.5s list, and/or take a second lunch and go to the game during that time.

Swordfish, where have you been?
Good to have you back!!!
A familiar voice of reason.

SWORDFISH

I was trying to remember the last time I was here. I havnt had all the time off that I had last year. Did I miss anything? Good to see you as well.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was trying to remember the last time I was here. I havnt had all the time off that I had last year. Did I miss anything? Good to see you as well.

I checked, after posting hot and heavy for months, you fell off the map in June.
If you don't want to talk about it, it's cool.
Welcome back.