Mechanic at UPS

iam

Hangingon said:
So Oldupsdriver, you're trying to say that since they're skilled they deserve a better retirement plan, or that they were simply lucky by being represented by a union that took its fiduciary responsibilities seriously? BTW from what the mechanics have told me the amount UPS contributes towards their pension is the same that they contribute towards the drivers.
The pension plan the mechanics are in is one of the best I have ever seen. I know because I am in it! The company contributes the same amount on my behalf as they do a feeder driver. Where a feeder pension stays the same our's increases everytime the contribution rate increases.

M

McCanit

over9five said:
Why won't my mechanic fix my bulkhead door??? Brand new car, had it about 5 weeks, and the bulkhead door sticks/rubs while closing. It's driving me NUTS! He's greased it 15 times, and that works great for about 1/2 an hour.
His last response was, "Sorry, can't be fixed".
Why not?? IT'S A BRAND NEW CAR!!! EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK!!!

Sorry for the rant. Anyone heard of this problem getting solved?
Warranty repair time........This is a safey and loss prevention issue......Show the auto sup. the dvir and it can be sent to body shop for warranty....

pajara2

Thanks everybody for all the great input. I go for my interview Monday morning.

I wondered if they required the CDL and ASE right off the bat. I've let my ASE lapse, but only have to take the re-cert test. I guess I'll just see what it takes to get the CDL...if I get in.

Dragracer-I've seen it here before..."you start at 80%"...80% of what? top-out salary for your hub? a set amount? a contracted amount? I mean I guess I'll know tomorrow what their range will be....

15 years :w00t: to days....yikes!

Thanks again...

A

dragracer66

Hey Para it,s 80% of mechanic rate not journeyman rate. Mechanic rate here in Metro Phila is 25.73 and 80% of that is 20.58 so that's what you would start out at. You also mentioned you let your ase,s expire. To be a journeyman you only need 6. 1)Med/Heavy Truck gas engine's 2) Med/Hev diesel engine's 3)Med/Hev Drive train 4)Med/Hev brake's 5)Med/Hev Suspension and Steering 6) Med/Hev Eletrical and Eletronic's. What state and city are you appling for? Hope all goes well. Good Luck

another#

greenhorn
Mechanic at UPS. Real hard job. You have to be able to fix exactly ONE type of vehicle.

It's not like being a real mechanic where you have to work on ANY type of vehicle.

Wow, you must be blind. My fleet of 29 trucks have 9 different engine types from 4 different engine manufacturers in them. Most mechanics at dealerships specialize and only work on one or two engines by one manufacturer. Not to mention that I have to cater to every little write-up, including some that are on non-existant problems. Sometimes I think the only screw that is loose is in the driver's head. I have worked as a mechanic at UPS for nearly 2 years and it is very challenging and unique. I have previously worked as a mechnic in the military and also at a OTR/LTL company and UPS is definately far more challenging than either of those jobs.

I would not recommend taking a position as a mechanic at UPS if you are not experienced, and by experienced I mean at least 5-10 years working as a mechanic for a living. There is nobody to babysit you and tell you what to do and when, you must be able to work independently and manage your own fleet.

another#

greenhorn
Warranty repair time........This is a safey and loss prevention issue......Show the auto sup. the dvir and it can be sent to body shop for warranty....

Or, get up off your ass to close the door like it is designed to be used.

Maybe the problem is that when the mechanic is looking at your complaint he is operating the door as it's meant to be.

over9five

Staff member
Found another mechanic, and he fixed my door. Said he had to take it off and raise it? Anyhow, it works great now.

upsdude

Over, I hear you. How can something not be fixed? I think what he's trying to say is, it'll cost too much money and your gripe is just not that important. To me, its a safety issue. You can tear an upper back muscle trying to close the door. I usually close my bulkhead door when I'm seated, just after I put my seatbelt on. One summer, I was covering a route and the darn door would really stick. One time the thing just wouldn't close. Needless to say, I felt a sharp pain across the top of my back that didn't go away for a week

In my neck of the woods you can get a write up for closing the door while seated. The "new" method is to close the door while facing it, prevents shoulder injuries.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Mechanic at UPS. Real hard job. You have to be able to fix exactly ONE type of vehicle.

It's not like being a real mechanic where you have to work on ANY type of vehicle.
I'm not a mechanic, but I know your statement to be totally wrong. We have Ford and GMC P-500's, Ford and GMC P-32's, GMC P-1000's, and both Freightliner and International P-7's, P-10's and P-12's in our building. We also have cube vans.There is also the feeder equipment to maintain. The mechanics in our building also maintain our forklift. The 80's vintage P-5's and P-10's in particlular have been pounded into junk and are very maintainence intensive. Keeping this wide variety of vehicles roadworthy while fighting with Corporate for an adequate supply of spare parts takes quite a bit of skill.

H

hseofpayne

All I hear is "parts on order" .When it finally breaks down it is my problem. We do not have enough P-1000s so I get a 800 old junk too small and it does not have power steering which I am supposed to have due to 20 years of abuse and 5 surgeries

Must be that way everywhere. Before going to job interview, practice writing "parts on order" and " OK to drive" !!:wink2::wink2:

Mike Hawk

I'm not a mechanic, but I know your statement to be totally wrong. We have Ford and GMC P-500's, Ford and GMC P-32's, GMC P-1000's, and both Freightliner and International P-7's, P-10's and P-12's in our building. We also have cube vans.There is also the feeder equipment to maintain. The mechanics in our building also maintain our forklift. The 80's vintage P-5's and P-10's in particlular have been pounded into junk and are very maintainence intensive. Keeping this wide variety of vehicles roadworthy while fighting with Corporate for an adequate supply of spare parts takes quite a bit of skill.
Whats a P-32? Is that 3200 cubic feet in the back?In my center we have P-5, P-7, P-8, P-10 and P-12. There are new versions of the P-5 and P-10, power steering/automatic/low step.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Whats a P-32? Is that 3200 cubic feet in the back?In my center we have P-5, P-7, P-8, P-10 and P-12. There are new versions of the P-5 and P-10, power steering/automatic/low step.
A P-32 is a little smaller than a P5 and a little bigger than a Sprinter van. They are really too small to be good for anything other than a very extended route, or to shuttle air.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
They now want us to put the seat belt on first and then start the vehicle, rather than doing it all in one motion. Saves fuel.
I do this anyway. My arms aren't long enough to reach both at the same time. Especially with some of the older trucks that have the latch lower than seat level.