Mechanic injured

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by UPSmechanicinblue, Oct 1, 2015.

1. UPSmechanicinblue

UPSmechanicinblue Active Member

Last Tuesday? a UPS mechanic got pinned under the front axle of a package car and the shop floor. Herd he is in hospital for broken ribs and internal bleeding. I herd it was possibly somewhere in Missouri. Does anyone know of this and can update us on his status? Hope and prayers he will be ok. Thanks

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

3. Number24

Number24 #24

Good god.. My Prayers go out to him.

4. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

On a similar note, I heard one got tossed out the door from the jump seat on a test drive with no belt on. Bad stuff.

5. 1BROWNWRENCH

Jackstands...at least 2 or MORE.

6. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

another reminder that you can not take safety for granted.

7. 1BROWNWRENCH

...but you can take charge of it.

8. moldsporh

moldsporh Active Member

^^THIS^^
    I won't get under my personal vehicle without stands....NEVER. I

9. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing. How did this even happen.

10. Mechanic86

Mechanic86 Repairing the crap you break.

I'm not saying this particular guy didn't use jack stands but over the years I've seen plenty of guys decide to just trust the jack itself and not use them mainly due to laziness. What many people fail to realize is that the jack is capable of holding a lot of weight but there is a cheap seal which probably costs pennies that once it fails will force the jack to come down, don't get under a vehicle with only a jack to support it ;-)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. iamupser

iamupser I'm Institutionized

He was at the Winona, MN center and apparently he drove the package car up on some wooden blocks and it rolled off on him.

12. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

I'd like to get details on this incident. I tried to get our mechanic a life alert button. They said he has his cell phone to call for help. Do you think you can dial 911 pinned under a vehicle?,? The union needs to protect all employees not just take their dues monies

13. iamupser

I heard that too. He may have been reading the laptop when he got thrown out the door. Heard he had some head head injuries. Hope he pulls through OK too.

14. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

That would be an awesome gift !! One that I hope he never needs !

15. iamupser

A lot of satellite centers have mechanics there by themselves and not very safe at all.

16. 1BROWNWRENCH

I worked at a center with over a hundred vehicles by myself for several months. Still by myself when the other guy is gone.

17. 1BROWNWRENCH

If the purpose of the blocks was to keep the floorspace under the car clear to do the oil pan (my understanding), it could have been done with jackstands under the frame behind the engine to support it. This is how I do that job.

18. iamupser

Agreed

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. dragracer66

dragracer66 Active Member

the union has nothing to do with this... Every building has jack stands. everybody needs to use them!!! The only thing the union is responsible for is job security, retirement and health and welfare. Not to hold our hands.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Till your the one under the truck. Jacks fail