mechanic question

chknlytle

hey everyone just had some questions about being a mechanic for ups as i havent seen much talk about mechanics at all here. im asking about them because i plan to go to school soon towards an applied science degree in automotive and wanted to stay within ups as well after graduation. ive been with the company for 4 years now as a p/t preloader and here's my questions.

-is this a union job? with the same rights and agreements etc.?

-what kind of schooling is desired? im planning on taking courses for regular automobiles and passenger cars, but i did see a course for diesel autos as well. which one is preffered?

-what certifications are needed? ive heard that you need to be ASE certified, but to be ASE certified, you need 2 years of work experience anyway, so? whats the deal? lol

-i know drivers tend to work long hours and come home late, is that the same with mechanics? at my hub, there are 2 p/t mechanics and 3 friend/t, but idk how the work load is.

-and of course, how much do you guys get paid?

any advice would be great and hope to hear from some mechanics first hand :)

247spies

Mechanis are union and paid well the job sucks like a lot of the others at ups. Go find the mechanic sup and ask him what you can do to get that job in the future. They are not teamsters out here but are in a mechanics union which pays into a pension that has a lot of car dealership mechanics affiliated with so u can take off someday and still add to your pension

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Our mechanics are Teamsters, whether they are in the IBT or IAM depends on what area you are in. Ours aren't allowed any overtime either, they go home in eight hours.

barnyard

KTM rider
The mechanics in my building are in the same union I am in. They start at 17:30 and almost never work even a minute of OT. There are occasions, but it is rare. The big thing with mechanics is that there is almost no turnover. The OP says there are 5 people working as mechanics in his/her building. Look at their seniority numbers and then ask if any or all of them are planning to stay till they are fully vested. That right there will tell you what your chances are.

In my building, the 2 mechanics are the same 2 that have been there at least 15 years. It will be at least 10 before one of them leaves. Maybe longer.

Last edited:

dragracer66

I'm a 22 year mechanic with UPS and the best thing you can do is go to a tech school to learn gas and diesel repair. But if you can while going to school try to get in as a part time mechanic. Most guys that get hired here are either part time guys going to full time or tech school grads. As for the union it depends on your location. Someone stated here earlier that car dealerships are part of our IAM pension plan, that is totaly incorrect! We are seperately funded pension with no other companies contributing. If the mechanics in your building are teamsters then there are other contributors. As was stated before depending on your location o/t is hit or miss. My building we can pretty much write our own check weekly while some others in the district are chased out after 8 hrs. The top journeyman rate as of 8/1/11 is $31.75 and the top mechanic rate is $.68 cents less than that. To be a journeyman you have to get a CDL licence and 6 ASE certs they are as follows. T-1 medium/heavy truck gas engines, T-2 m/h truck diesel engines, T-3 m/h truck drive train, T-4 m/h truck brakes, T-5 m/h truck suspension and steering, T-6 m/h eletrical. It takes 2 years to go through progression and most people use those 2 years to obtain both. Hope this helps you out.........

iamupser

Grease Monkey
It's all going to depend what location you work at. If 10 mechanics answer, you'll have 10 different answers.

Here in the Metropolitan Detroit area, mechanics, bodymen, maintenance, porters, car washers, and gassers are in the IAM&AW. Overtime comes and goes, our pension is under UPS not the IAM as is in some parts of the country. Basically it's $100 per year up to 35 years ($3500). No 401k match, 2 option days a year.

There is no requirement with ASE or state certifications tied to our pay (yet :). We have package car mechanics, tractor mechanics, trailer mechanics. I recommend in this area to become a car washer or any part time position they can do and when a full time mechanic bid opens up to sign it (if you really wanted in badly).

Top journeyman rate (2 year progression currently) $31.06 and a .75 raise 10/2011. I think they make you wait a year for insurance now, but that may be just to add your famly (which is BS IMO).

Good Luck!

chknlytle

thank you for all of your responses! i will talk to the mechanic supervisor today to get more info.

another thing, besides the obvious, what else do mechanics do? at my center, there are maybe 90 or so package cars (dont know if thats alot or a little) but it seems that ALL of them are used every day. so if theres no cars to work on, do they just go home? arent they garanteed 8 hours if they are full time?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
thank you for all of your responses! i will talk to the mechanic supervisor today to get more info.

another thing, besides the obvious, what else do mechanics do? at my center, there are maybe 90 or so package cars (dont know if thats alot or a little) but it seems that ALL of them are used every day. so if theres no cars to work on, do they just go home? arent they garanteed 8 hours if they are full time?

They typically work on the vehicles during the night hours - say 8 pm to 5 am

chknlytle

is it possible to become a FT driver first, and then become a PT/FT mechanic afterwards?

or, once i get a FT position, im not allowed to move anywhere, besides management.?

HomeDelivery

from what i'm reading on these forums, you better just jump into the mechanic sector now

you can sign up to be a temp driver and see if you like it or not; there's postings for both FedEx and UPS PEAK drivers on careerbuilder.com & i've already posted what the FedEx side is like (home delivery, that is mostly 99% driver releases to residentials and 10% businesses with less than 1% pickups/ call tags)