Mechanic talk

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You guys dont get tips? Why do drivers deserve tips and no one else? Say a customer tips you, and then you give a tip to the loaders, unloaders and the part time car washers. They tipped your service which requires the truck being loaded, unloaded, washed and fueled. So some of that tip is theirs too. Notice I kept it to the part time employees, they're the only ones who deserve a tip.

IIRC, all but about 4 of my 34 years were rural routes.

I might get the occasional $5 or $10, but by far my tips were a plate of cookies, a pie and maybe some homemade venison bologna.

I wasn't sharing with anyone.

wayfair

swollen member
You've had to seen at some point with UPS what Im talking about.

I do remember a guy on here that wanted a friggin pretzel..

If I did my job the way my preloader does his, my customers would be demanding tips from me to keep them from calling in and complaining.

Like I said take a couple days riding with a driver.

I think the hardest I have seen a mechanic work is when my brakes went out at my first delivery and he had to make a road call and help me off load onto an empty PC.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
My supervisor got after me in an email about doing half and hour of OT for the week.

Last year OT wasn't a problem. This year not so much. He (sup) came to us yesterday and asked if we worked an hour a day could we get our down car list down to respectable levels. It's been 6 months in the making and we're supposed to fix it in a flash. We've got engine jobs, transmissions, some that need a Barret-Jackson rebuild, 6.0L accel/throttle wiring issues (those are the worst).

Yeah, it's going to take some time to dig ourselves out of this hole.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
If you've got damaged wiring on the throttle control module (in cab), I've found you can repair those pin terminals by salvaging some form a VT harness...so long as you don't mind them being purple.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Last year OT wasn't a problem. This year not so much. He (sup) came to us yesterday and asked if we worked an hour a day could we get our down car list down to respectable levels. It's been 6 months in the making and we're supposed to fix it in a flash. We've got engine jobs, transmissions, some that need a Barret-Jackson rebuild, 6.0L accel/throttle wiring issues (those are the worst).

Yeah, it's going to take some time to dig ourselves out of this hole.
Is a Barret-Jackson rebuild a term for a Basket Case? Like some clapped out piece of junk from CA?