Mechanics Forced Overtime. When Is This Going To Stop? Never.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
mechanics at my hub are being forced to work overtime or face termination. just like I said in my forced day after thanksgiving thread, this is never going to end unless we stand up and put a stop to it.

UPS can always hire more people. yes, in feeder we can be worked til directed for 60 hours a week. I understand that.

but what about mechanics? do they also have HOS _( hrs of service ) regulations to follow? I don't think so but they should.

I told my mechanic I didn't want him to be working on my tractor if he was too tired. I am not a mechanic but even an expert pretrip would not catch a bolt that wasn't tightened or many other life threatening things that only a mechanic or DOT inspector may find.

I told him that he was too tired to work overtime he should just tell his supervisor that and go home.

ive used that excuse maybe 5-6 times in 30 years. they didn't argue with me.

PT Car Washer

Our mechanics have to be CDL qualified and I am sure they would fall under HOS rules. We have one night guy out on disability and the trailer shop guy is milking it for all he can get. Other then that I don't think the rest are getting much OT if any at all. Mechanics can pick up side work all year round if they want extra cash. Tax free.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Our mechanics have to be CDL qualified and I am sure they would fall under HOS rules. We have one night guy out on disability and the trailer shop guy is milking it for all he can get. Other then that I don't think the rest are getting much OT if any at all. Mechanics can pick up side work all year round if they want extra cash. Tax free.
that a good point. if they are cdl quailed by rule , then they would have the same HOS as us. that would help.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How much OT we talking about?

I would get on the creeper, slide under, and take a nap.

Cementups

Box Monkey
In our building OT is limited for mechanics to almost none. But at the same time they should be giving a little since we have no extra package cars but yet they still break and need serviced. I see your point but everyone puts in a little extra OT around the holidays. It's the nature of the beast.

In our building OT is limited for mechanics to almost none. But at the same time they should be giving a little since we have no extra package cars but yet they still break and need serviced. I see your point but everyone puts in a little extra OT around the holidays. It's the nature of the beast.
A little,Is one thing. Hope my mechanic,didnt work a 14 hour shift when he changes my brakes.

You can still work,when you are tired. But It's hard to focus.

Cementups

Box Monkey
A little,Is one thing. Hope my mechanic,didnt work a 14 hour shift when he changes my brakes.

You can still work,when you are tired. But It's hard to focus.

Ours are getting 40 hours. Even when my package car broke down on Tuesday and the whole front end needed rebuilt, they wouldn't give my mechanic any OT to get it done. And it's not like we have extra P12's lying around. They just told him he was to do nothing else in his 8 hours than work on my package car and other mechanics would try and absorb his other work.

the_weasel

They starve our mechanic with 8 and skate all year time to make some hay while the sun shines now ! As for making a stand not a chance just look at how the union has folded in to the company lately ! You can't beat the company if the union isn't willing to stand up for you ! Case in point Black Friday just glad I'm close to retirement !

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Our mechanics as a general rule get no OT at all during the year and they get mad about that. I have been dealing with our shop a lot lately and none of them have complained about overtime to me at all. I just know that right now they have to keep every package car and tractor on the road.

barnyard

KTM rider
This is the only time of the year the mechanics at my building get OT. Not that they are even getting that much.

I wish I could work a 40/hr a week route.

brostalss

With the pace our mechanics work at, I don't think fatigue would be a factor.

I will say that the mechanics at my Hub did a superb job putting a new engine in my Package Car. A little burn off of fluids and parts cleaner so some smoke the first day or two but I saw that coming. They worked with me and I worked with them the first 500 miles constantly giving reports on how it's running.

An 8.1L 396ci GM Big Block. My Truck just flies on the freeway fully loaded.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
im trying to stick up for my guys who have been complaining about the forced overtime. they said that it was also the way it was explained to them.

it wasn't like "hey guys, its peak season and we are really under the gun to keep all of our equipment safe and on the road for our drivers and customers. we would appreciate it very much if you could help as needed."

it was explained like this. " all employees will work as much overtime as needed . if you fail to comply, you will be asked 3 times with your shop steward present and if you still refuse to work, you will be terminated with this company."

I :censored2: you not.

upschuck

What is the difference between that and a PC or feeder driver pulling over to the side of the road at 8 hrs and going home? We don't make the schedule, and we work til the work is done.