Mechanics

Dylan

I've been working for the company for 3 years now as a part time package handler and I was curious how would I go about becoming a mechanic?

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Since all the automotive mechanic spots are filled in our hub, they post a sheet that you can sign for automotive stating that you're interested in becoming a mechanic. Then theres also applying online when they are seeking mechanics. Just because spots in our hub are filled doesn't mean there isn't spots available in other centers nearby, but you're most likely going to need to have some experience.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Here they are separate jobs. If you were to get he mechanic position you would have to quit your current position at UPS and then get "rehired" and start from the bottom.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If earn and learn is offered at your hub you can get reimbursed for technical college to get ase certification

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Spray WD-40 all over?

We had an idiot mechanic before our now awesome mechanic. I asked him to lube the doors and bulkhead. I come in the next day. I could barely stand up in the cab. Only thing not sprayed was the seat and steering wheel. Go figure, he went to management for mechanics for ups. So glad for him to move on

Re-Raise

Can I jump in now and start slamming on drivers in driver threads?;)
I just said our package cars break down all the time and don't seem to get fixed. It is frustrating and dangerous.

I called my on-car Friday and told him they put the package car back in the lineup with the same problem I had written up before and he told me to drive it until it blows up completely. That is the only way we can get new cars because automotive couldn't care less if it is fixed or not.

Re-Raise

I don't want to paint all of the mechanics with the same brush. I have been here over 30 years and have had some really good ones. I knew our present mechanic might not fall into that category the first time I tried to explain a problem with the car to him.

Instead of taking it seriously, he tried to tell me he had driven it the night before on the lot and it didn't do it for him. I said "do you really think I want to come down here and make stuff up just to screw with you?" I guess if you can ignore problems you don't have to fix them.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I just said our package cars break down all the time and don't seem to get fixed. It is frustrating and dangerous.

I called my on-car Friday and told him they put the package car back in the lineup with the same problem I had written up before and he told me to drive it until it blows up completely. That is the only way we can get new cars because automotive couldn't care less if it is fixed or not.
Yours was not one of the ones I was referring to. Just be aware your experience is not the same as it is everywhere else. The mechanics can only do what they are allowed to do and there is a budget that figures into it. If something really can't be seen (it DOES happen), we haven't got all night to make it happen if there are no likely culprits. Details in describing the issues go a long way in resolving situations like what you describe. We DO care.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
PM me a description a of your issue if you like and maybe I could have a stab at what it might actually be.
I see this incident was in the past. Anyways, I wouldn't let one bad experience give you a permanent negative view of mechanics at UPS. Some particular package cars are prone to failures no matter how much care they are given. New cars are far from perfect too. In fact a lot of them are even harder to fix when something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

PM me a description a of your issue if you like and maybe I could have a stab at what it might actually be.
A gas automatic 800. No power when I accelerate, then it kicks in and throws me back in the seat. Every time it does this, the engine warning light comes on and it starts beeping for about 10 seconds. The same package car did exactly the same thing 2 months ago.

The mechanic thought it was an oxygen sensor or the catalytic converter. They put it into the lineup and the engine completely blew on it.

I sat for an hour and a half until they towed me a replacement that I had to unload everything into. They replaced the engine and put it back in the lineup Friday. It was doing exactly the same thing..still. I'll just blow this engine up too, I guess.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
A gas automatic 800. No power when I accelerate, then it kicks in and throws me back in the seat. Every time it does this, the engine warning light comes on and it starts beeping for about 10 seconds. The same package car did exactly the same thing 2 months ago.

The mechanic thought it was an oxygen sensor or the catalytic converter. They put it into the lineup and the engine completely blew on it.

I sat for an hour and a half until they towed me a replacement that I had to unload everything into. They replaced the engine and put it back in the lineup Friday. It was doing exactly the same thing..still. I'll just blow this engine up too, I guess.
Sounds to me like your center does not have a Tech 2. Things like this are not this as easy to pinpoint as you might think, especially if there are not enough diagnostic resources. It actually "blew up"? Sounds to me there may have been more going on than you or your mechanic were aware of.