Mechanics

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
With luck, the engine light you observed will be stored in the ECM and downloaded into autotel where it can easily be seen if the shop lacks some sort of physical diagnostic computer. Generally autotel offers possible causes and solutions along with comparable added mechanic notes for the same code. Autotel is the program Automotive uses for viewing telematics information.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
A Tech 2 is a GM exclusive hand-held diagnostic computer used for looking at the ECU and TCU(if not Allison equipped) in real time and running the systems through their paces with manual and automated tests. There is talk of having the Tech 2 incorporated into the SBDT laptops. Service Bay Diagnostic Tool.

Re-Raise

Sounds to me like your center does not have a Tech 2. Things like this are not this as easy to pinpoint as you might think, especially if there are not enough diagnostic resources. It actually "blew up"? Sounds to me there may have been more going on than you or your mechanic were aware of.
I don't understand why the code isn't more help to him. I am used to the mechanic for my personal vehicle being able to diagnose the problem based on the stored codes. I would never drive my personal vehicle to the point of engine failure, but that is what they expect me to do at work.

Going off memory here but I think I remember a pcm can't remember if it was 4.8 or 6.0. But when you replace the engine your suppose to replace cats and muffler otherwise it will trash the new engine. To much back pressure. Again going off memory

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
...as am I.....all I am saying is that if I were to walk in to work this morning and tell DJ that he should try to do what you suggested he would tell me to get lost...
That is true, but I have to try. Solving problems is what I do. I don't want Reraise to keep on with his negative attitude towards mechanics.

Re-Raise

I think we have 25 package cars at my small center, and we currently have 8 that are red tagged.

When I got to work this morning the preload had just piled my packages on the floor until the air truck got there. After they unloaded the air car, we had to load my packages on it.

The car I was talking about was apparently taken back to the dealer last night to see if they can figure out how to fix it. With all of my stuff still in it...FML

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes that stuff comes up and there is nobody to take messages that can listen. Sometimes the dealerships are far from great either. Freightliner has problems because the GM engines are unique to UPS and nobody there really has any knowhow on gas engines.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Sounds like TPS/Pedal correlation error. Notorious wiring issues in Workhorse/Freightliner 6.0L package cars. If they would have spec'd out 2 awg thicker wire, many of these issues probably could have been avoided.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I was thinking the same thing. New symptom I haven't observed yet. I've had issues with the tiny wiring for the crank position sensor breaking on the P7 Workhorses... and wiring for the coil pack harness.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
How you guys like having to log out now and then log in after 10 minutes or so? I guess now the logout up in the upper right is the one to use when you finish your lines. Less keystrokes.

Re-Raise

Sounds like TPS/Pedal correlation error. Notorious wiring issues in Workhorse/Freightliner 6.0L package cars. If they would have spec'd out 2 awg thicker wire, many of these issues probably could have been avoided.
I can't wait to see the look on his face when I tell him this tomorrow .... like it just came to me

How you guys like having to log out now and then log in after 10 minutes or so? I guess now the logout up in the upper right is the one to use when you finish your lines. Less keystrokes.
It's aggravating that's for sure. They seem to be making it a little bit user friendly as time goes on. But far from perfect lol