Medco sucks

h8daravens

Anybody else having issues with them? My Doctor's Office is doing their part and Medco is saying they are not. I think $5 generics at Walmart might be the solution to my problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anybody else having issues with them? My Doctor's Office is doing their part and Medco is saying they are not. I think $5 generics at Walmart might be the solution to my problem.

My son just had his wisdom teeth (all 4) removed. All I paid was the $5 co-pay for each med. ($10 total) Hard to beat that.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Depends on the dentist. We have some dentists in town I wouldn't let Psyco Susie go to. My dentist doesn't work with our ins. But, when I had insurance, he would submit my treatment plan for approval, find out what they would pay and let me know what I will owe. I was very grateful to have the insurance and I wish I still did.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Depends on the dentist. We have some dentists in town I wouldn't let Psyco Susie go to. My dentist doesn't work with our ins. But, when I had insurance, he would submit my treatment plan for approval, find out what they would pay and let me know what I will owe. I was very grateful to have the insurance and I wish I still did.

Medco is prescriptions only--has nothing to do with the dentist bill.

sppollock

The problem is that we all have different insurance's. UPS has decided that us in the freight division are not to be under the health and welfare from the teamsters, so our insurance is what they pick. We have Blue Cross of Illinois here for medical, Aetna for dental and Medco for perscriptions and something else for vision. I am not complaining because I have only had a small problem with them not paying for a nurse's visit after surgery last year, but our insurance is not up to the standards that you at package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The problem is that we all have different insurance's. UPS has decided that us in the freight division are not to be under the health and welfare from the teamsters, so our insurance is what they pick. We have Blue Cross of Illinois here for medical, Aetna for dental and Medco for perscriptions and something else for vision. I am not complaining because I have only had a small problem with them not paying for a nurse's visit after surgery last year, but our insurance is not up to the standards that you at package.

Maybe when the standards at freight match those at package your benefits will be improved.

(j/k---sort of)

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I have never had a problem with Medco. 90 day supply delivered no co -pay. Is freight differant ? Once in a while they want to change my prescription but the Doctor e-mails or faxes them what he wants and the problem goes away. I work in a hub that handles most of their work in the east and let me tell you it is a lot. They must be one of UPS's top customers. We have full time people working off site @ Medco processing work and bringing it back to our location . The only reason I wouldn't like them is my back hurts unloading the bags and bags of work off their trailers every night. Maybe I can get a prescription for that. LOL

AmpGuard88

You will NEVER have the same benefits at Freight that Package does. And, you can take that to the bank. We, at freight, aren't the proverbial 'breadwinners' of the company.

Southwestern

Medco's getting more aggressive in dictating our health care. At first, it was sending suggestions (for example, when filling high-dosage Ibuprofen, it suggested I talk with my doctor about OTC alternatives -- that cost me more; thankfully, my pharmacist didn't relay most of these messages). Then it began requesting approval from my doctor to fill certain prescriptions (for no other reason than to coax him into lower-priced alternatives ... after all, he's aware of what he prescribed). Now it's denying some of my claims, saying the drugs are no longer covered by my formulary. WHAT FORMULARY?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

SW, it is this mindset that has increased the cost of healthcare to where it is today. I agree with Medco suggesting lower priced generics and shifting the burden on to the members, especially if the medicine is readily available OTC. In your Ibuprofen example, instead of taking one of the higher-dosage prescription pills, why not take two of a lesser-dosage yet equally effective OTC pills?

If you prefer name brand prescription drugs you can have your doctor put three letters on to your precriptions--D A W--which stands for Dispense As Written and the pharmacist has to abide by his wishes; however, IMO if you insist upon the higher priced name brand drugs you should have to pay a surcharge, especially if an equally effective, lower priced generic is available.

Medco is simply trying to reduce their costs without compromising patient safety which in turn saves us all money.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
SW, it is this mindset that has increased the cost of healthcare to where it is today. I agree with Medco suggesting lower priced generics and shifting the burden on to the members, especially if the medicine is readily available OTC. In your Ibuprofen example, instead of taking one of the higher-dosage prescription pills, why not take two of a lesser-dosage yet equally effective OTC pills?

If you prefer name brand prescription drugs you can have your doctor put three letters on to your precriptions--D A W--which stands for Dispense As Written and the pharmacist has to abide by his wishes; however, IMO if you insist upon the higher priced name brand drugs you should have to pay a surcharge, especially if an equally effective, lower priced generic is available.

Medco is simply trying to reduce their costs without compromising patient safety which in turn saves us all money.

As usual, half of your argument makes sense.
I am in complete agreement in regards to generic equivalents.
If you insist on the name brand when a generic is available, you should pay the difference out of pocket.
Where I disagree is in the ibuprofen scenario.
If I go to a doctor and he or she prescribes for my treatment ibuprofen, it should be covered by my benefits.
Taking 3 or 4 Advils for every dose prescribed out of my own medicine cabinet, on my own dime, is not appropriate or inexpensive.
To my knowledge OTC drugs are not covered by our prescription plan, hence the prescription.
Minor ailments that I experience in which I don't seek a doctors care is what my OTC medications are for.
Medical and prescription benefits are designed to soften the economic effects of an injury or illness.
We should not accept a watered down version.