Mediator ends talks

airbusfxr

Local 2727 reports that the contract talks are suspended until Aug 12, 2009. This means that the aircraft mechanics will have worked through 5 Peaks without any raises or benefit enhancements. Why would UPS not bargain in good faith to the employees that have helped them reap record profits.

mxguy

Can't believe the mediator would stop talks that were progressing, pretty well for the last month, for do long. Not sure if the union & company can meet without the mediator. the tone of the message was pretty sad as well. Also remember UPS also had record profits for the 05,06,07

unionman

Is the mediator from the Bush administration?

You don't here about any lay offs in management from the consolidation of the gateways. No pilot lay offs either. We only have 1000 mechanics for 250 Aircraft. What a joke. FEDX has 350 aircraft with 2500 mechanics and they are still hiring. FEDX hired some mechanics in January. We haven't hired a mechanic in over a year. full time anyhow. Oh yeah, FEDX doesn't have P/T mechanics either.

ups767mech

Very sad day indeed. Yes the mediator is from the Bush administration. Something needs to change and soon with the layoffs going on and now no negotiations. The feeling on the floor is not a "warm and fuzzy"

drewed

Shankman
Local 2727 reports that the contract talks are suspended until Aug 12, 2009. This means that the aircraft mechanics will have worked through 5 Peaks without any raises or benefit enhancements. Why would UPS not bargain in good faith to the employees that have helped them reap record profits.
It doesnt mean anything beyond that the talks broke down, they still have worked 5 peaks without one Aug isnt another peak.

drewed

Shankman
HAHA you guys are SOOOOOOOO clever the mediator is from the Bush administration WOW knee slapper....except for the fact he never left talks in the middle? and for the fact a mediator is mutually agreed upon?

Unionguy, honest question are the Fedex mechs union?
But beyond that do they have nearly as good bennies and compensation as you?
They allowed their pilots to work 2 years without a contract soo you cant paint Fedex in a golden swatch at this...its hard to negotiate now, the economy sucks, no one knows when it will be healthy again and although we've had record profits in the recent couple years we're not making that money now which leaves you in a very hard bargaining point....Maybe the mediator was hoping to see what the economy does in the next 6 months, because right now theyd probably give you VERY little. IMO

tellitstraight

Its funny how when the company doesn't give you everything you want they are not bargaining in good faith. Last time I checked NEGOTIATIONS were two parties trying to come to a mutual agreement. Neither side ever gets everything they want. To be honest with you the mechanics should sit tight and see if the economy improves any time soon before they continue! Oh yeah, the other thing that everyone fails to remember is that negotiations were going on for almost two years when the union leadership changed and BOTH parties MUTUALLY agreed to suspend negotiations for several months so the new leadership could get up to speed. What actually happened was all the progress that was made got tossed out the window. I love these threads because now the name calling will start -- I am guessing Drewed will get attacked as a management stooge along with myself. Just remember it takes two to tango - UPS and the 2727.

ups767mech

Oh yeah, the other thing that everyone fails to remember is that negotiations were going on for almost two years when the union leadership changed and BOTH parties MUTUALLY agreed to suspend negotiations for several months so the new leadership could get up to speed. What actually happened was all the progress that was made got tossed out the window.

Tell it thanks for making yourself look like a complete maroon. Union leadership did not change in the middle of negotiations. Shows how little you know and how you are just trying to "stir the pot"

ups767mech

HAHA you guys are SOOOOOOOO clever the mediator is from the Bush administration WOW knee slapper....except for the fact he never left talks in the middle? and for the fact a mediator is mutually agreed upon?

Drewed The National Mediation board is appointed by the President of the United States. The current NMB was appointed by President Bush in 2004. President Obama has yet to make a selection for the replacement for the head of the NMB.

Before you slap your knee and break it and end up on disablity, Please educate yourself.

Loco170Brownie

Ever get the idea Drewed has a full time job just answering these posts with the Co angle?

I also think we all know Aug 1 isn't another peak, but if they aren't talking again till then what are the chances they will have anything done before another peak comes and goes?

Just a thought

unionman

Unionguy, honest question are the Fedex mechs union?
But beyond that do they have nearly as good bennies and compensation as you?
They allowed their pilots to work 2 years without a contract soo you cant paint Fedex in a golden swatch at this...its hard to negotiate now, the economy sucks, no one knows when it will be healthy again and although we've had record profits in the recent couple years we're not making that money now which leaves you in a very hard bargaining point....Maybe the mediator was hoping to see what the economy does in the next 6 months, because right now theyd probably give you VERY little. IMO
==========
Drewed you just keep posting like you know everything and we will keep putting you back where you belong. I have been with UPS for four years but I have over 25 years of experience on aircraft. I make 26 dollars an hour and a friend of mine who just started 6 months ago at FEDX makes 33 dollars an hour. UPS is laying us off when we only have 1000 mechanics and FEDX hired five mechanics this year. I havent been with this company very long but it sure seems to me that this company doesnt think an AMT is worth a whole lot. Maybe those people that died yesterday in that plane crash would think differently.
Ups will be in the national spot light if they don't start taking a better look at there maintenance. Believe me I have worked in all aspects of whats left of this career field. The outsourced vendors are full of foriengn nationals that can't speak english. There is one A&P mechanic that signs for ten guys work because he is the only one with a license. This is about to be put a the national stage and I doubt that UPS wants to be on that stage.

airbusfxr

Now Buffalo Bill is an expert on everything from Pkg ops to flight ops to a/c mx to NTSB investigations. I just wish Buffalo had a baseball team and basketball team so Dallas could win those championships. Drool will answer EVERY post whether he is off a little or misses the whole boat. I cannot wait to we start picketing the UPS stores, ATL headquarters, and get the WSJ full page ad, just like the pilots. When customers see that UPS is waged in a full labor dispute, that has dragged on for 5 years, what will they think? If I was running the Union I would be looking for a release from mediation ON Nov 10, 2009. Grade 20's are raking it in, everyone has a contract, MIP was flowing free, and mechanics are producing on-time, dependable, profit making airliners. Why would a company make one work group wait 5 years for a contract?

ups767mech

==========
Maybe those people that died yesterday in that plane crash would think differently.
I don't know of a mechanic that can prevent ice build up. The crash near Buffalo had nothing to do with mechanical failure so introducing that in to the discussion is not warranted.

Do you think the wings have a force field around them that prevents ice buildup?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

==========
Maybe those people that died yesterday in that plane crash would think differently.

Do you think the wings have a force field around them that prevents ice buildup?

Thank you for making my point for me. There is no mechanic, no matter how skilled, that can prevent ice buildup on a plane. This is the job of the ground crew but that is done pre-flight.

I am not in any way minimizing the job that airline mechanics do and I fully support you in this contract impasse. However, for you or anyone else to say that a skilled mechanic could have prevented the ice buildup is simply untrue.

ups767mech

Thank you for making my point for me. There is no mechanic, no matter how skilled, that can prevent ice buildup on a plane. This is the job of the ground crew but that is done pre-flight.

I am not in any way minimizing the job that airline mechanics do and I fully support you in this contract impasse. However, for you or anyone else to say that a skilled mechanic could have prevented the ice buildup is simply untrue.

Please explaiin to me then how ice does not build up on the wings during flight ? exactly what does the ground crew do that prevents ice build up ? iIm interested to hear your theory

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

==========
Drewed you just keep posting like you know everything and we will keep putting you back where you belong. I have been with UPS for four years but I have over 25 years of experience on aircraft. I make 26 dollars an hour and a friend of mine who just started 6 months ago at FEDX makes 33 dollars an hour. UPS is laying us off when we only have 1000 mechanics and FEDX hired five mechanics this year. I havent been with this company very long but it sure seems to me that this company doesnt think an AMT is worth a whole lot. Maybe those people that died yesterday in that plane crash would think differently. Ups will be in the national spot light if they don't start taking a better look at there maintenance. Believe me I have worked in all aspects of whats left of this career field. The outsourced vendors are full of foriengn nationals that can't speak english. There is one A&P mechanic that signs for ten guys work because he is the only one with a license. This is about to be put a the national stage and I doubt that UPS wants to be on that stage.

Please explaiin to me then how ice does not build up on the wings during flight ? exactly what does the ground crew do that prevents ice build up ? iIm interested to hear your theory

The quote highlighted in red above is what I have been referring to. Unionman was inferring that the crash in Buffalo may have been prevented by a skilled mechanic. My statement was that no mechanic, no matter how skilled, can prevent ice build up during flight. The ground crew de-ices preflight in the hopes of minimizing ice build up. I witnessed this first hand when I flew from Cleveland to Albany recently when they sprayed an orange liquid on the wings and flaps. My point was that there are forces of nature at work here and there is no mechanic that can prevent ice build up during flight and to try and link the two is self-serving and simply not true.

ups767mech

The quote highlighted in red above is what I have been referring to. Unionman was inferring that the crash in Buffalo may have been prevented by a skilled mechanic. My statement was that no mechanic, no matter how skilled, can prevent ice build up during flight. The ground crew de-ices preflight in the hopes of minimizing ice build up. I witnessed this first hand when I flew from Cleveland to Albany recently when they sprayed an orange liquid on the wings and flaps. My point was that there are forces of nature at work here and there is no mechanic that can prevent ice build up during flight and to try and link the two is self-serving and simply not true.

Although it is true that the ground grew does provide GROUND de-icing of the aircraft. In-flight there is a MECHANICAL system that activates once the aircraft is in the AIR MODE. This system is a series of valves and tubes that run along the leading edge of the wings using engine bleed air to prevent ice buildup. Ironically its called "WING ANTI-ICE". IT IS A MECHANICAL SYSTEM.

Like i asked drewed in a previous post, Please educte yourself before you speak on a subjuct you clearly have no clue about.

ups767mech

Point taken. The inflight de-icing was in use (according to media reports. Are you hinting that there may have been a mechanical failure in that system?

Its possible, but I would not speculate at this point due to the loss of life and I am not a crash scene investigator. Ill leave that to the professionals at the NTSB and the FAA.