medical leave

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by miguelangelo443, Jan 12, 2015.

  1. miguelangelo443

    miguelangelo443 New Member

    I have 2 torn rotator cuffs and everyday at work leaves me in constant pain. I got these injuries outside of work and need minor surgery in both shoulders. Would i be able to take a leave of absence for this injury?
  2. bleedinbrown58

    bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere can go out on Short Term Disability.
  3. fres431

    fres431 Active Member

    Umm ya look up state disability in ya state
  4. bottomups

    bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

    Yes. Apply for FMLA and disability.
  5. retiredTxfeeder

    retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

    I had that surgery, and the rehab can vary greatly. Met a guy in rehab who had torn both, and they did one at a time, giving the first time to heal, then the second one. Do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions. Good luck to you.
  6. Talk to your sup and they can put you on FMLA. The process is actually pretty easy.
  7. Brownslave688

    Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

    Two torn rotator cuffs will not be minor surgery. You could be off up to a year I would say.
  8. oldngray

    oldngray nowhere special

    How did you tear two at the same time?
  9. retiredTxfeeder

    retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

    I was off 13 months with mine, but I had some complications. 9-12 months is about normal for someone who does physical labor.
  10. Wally

    Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

    You got a STD.
  11. box_beeyotch

    box_beeyotch Well-Known Member

    "Hey it's so and so, I cant make it in today."
    "We really need you, what's the problem?"
    "I think I have pink eye on my genitals and last I checked that's highly contagious!!"
  12. Funfact

    Funfact Well-Known Member

    Yes, you can go out on STD and or FMLA. In my area Short term disability through the union pays $300 a week.

    Are you sure you got those injuries outside of work.
  13. brown bomber

    brown bomber brown bomber

    Short term disability is only 6 months in our local,'s covered through the union. After that you transition into long term disability,..for me it was provided by UPS, through AETNA. I'm sure weekly payments vary throughout the country. Keep in mind that after 18 months you lose your healthcare coverage, and have to pick up COBRA,..for me that was $1200.00/month,...that forced me into early retirement