medical marijuana card

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by brownthis, Feb 19, 2012.

1. brownthis

brownthis New Member

For some ups employees it is legal now. What's your take on this and what do you think UPS's take on this if we had our card.

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I would need more information on the card and any restrictions before forming an opnion.

3. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

I would think UPS's opinion would be pretty clear. It's an (illegal) drug free company. Just because the state of California allows people purchase marijuana, doesn't mean UPS would allow it's work force to use it. BTW, if I'm not mistaken, it's still illegal in the eyes of federal law and users, prescribers, and dispensaries are still subject to federal prosecution.

4. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

What does the DOT say about this. There is your answer.

5. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Unless the employee is a driver it's a mute point. We have pt'rs that UPS would be happy if weed was the only thing they were on.

6. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Quit trying to be snoop dog and go legit.

7. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

UPS isn't going give anyone the OK to due dope. It's becomes a liability issue.

8. NI3

NI3 New Member

Consuming a beer is not illegal but employer does not have to allow employees to drink during lunch. State Supreme Court decision in 2010 ruled that testing positive for marijuana is a valid reason for termination regardless of having a prescription or not.

Oregon High Court Rules in Favor of Employers in Medical Marijuana Case | Inc.com

It's a unique confusion. It's not often that we have something that is prohibited by Federal law(marijuana is prohibited as having no approved medical use, hence DEA schedule I) but ok at state level. I thought that in the event of a conflict, Federal law wins over State law.

9. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Don't ask don't tell. The minute they fire someone with a card they'll sue for mandatory testing of all employees since thats UPS's grounds for termination and when 1/2 minimum of the pt'rs we have are now ineligible to work then what?

10. AKX

AKX New Member

No way too much liabilty. I can understand why UPS doesnt test part timers due to the revolving door but I cant for the life of me understand why they dont test us delivery guys. For a company with such an emphasis on safety it seems like a no brainer.

11. tourists24

tourists24 Well-Known Member

If safety were the issue, then UPS would demand a contract change

12. anonymous4

anonymous4 Active Member

Says the guy who gets hammered and feels the need to let the entirety of BC know he is an alcoholic.

13. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

So you took the time to register just to make that your first post. Bored?

14. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Because it cost money.

15. anonymous4

anonymous4 Active Member

Hypocrisy on a grand scale requires recognition.

16. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't have just used your other screen name?

17. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Is someone upset they lost a soldier?

18. anonymous4

anonymous4 Active Member

Don't rush to judgment without examining the evidence.

19. pickup

pickup Well-Known Member

Who could it be?? The syntax seemed familiar. Oh Upstate, where were you ? That is the kind of new member whose first post you should have jumped on.

20. anonymous4

anonymous4 Active Member

Upstate is a chump.