Medical Marijuana

undies

I've always wondered how that would or could work. As we all know, this job can cause some serious pain and injuries. As marijuana becomes more and more acceptable as a form of pain management, do you think UPS will ever change their policy regarding it's use?

Personally, I think it can be very helpful if taken responsibly. I have many bottles of pills that I take to manage my back pain and always wonder if marijuana could help, I love my job too much to test that boundary though...

PT Car Washer

I've always wondered how that would or could work. As we all know, this job can cause some serious pain and injuries. As marijuana becomes more and more acceptable as a form of pain management, do you think UPS will ever change their policy regarding it's use?

Personally, I think it can be very helpful if taken responsibly. I have many bottles of pills that I take to manage my back pain and always wonder if marijuana could help, I love my job too much to test that boundary though...
Go join a rock band and smoke all you want. Just don't drive and kill someone as you most likely will be seeing prison time.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

There was a fairly high profile case two years ago in Michigan (medical marijuana state) where a Walmart employee with a medical card (sinus cancer) was hurt on the job and failed a drug test. He was subsequently fired and the termination was upheld. The state medical marijuana laws on the books don't necessarily affect private employment; it would likely take a federal law to offer legal protections to folks using medical pot.

Mandatory drug testing of feeder drivers isn't company policy but Federal DOT policy, as well.

Source: http://www.bna.com/medical-marijuana-law-n17179869837/

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
as soon as I retire I am going to get my card . smoke a big one , put on the headphones and listen to the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East.

Great CD. Got it on my iPhone. Makes the long nightly drives much smoother. Still love "Mountain Jam".

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
as soon as I retire I am going to get my card . smoke a big one , put on the headphones and listen to the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East.
tumblr_ncy26nH0qh1terwlso1_500.gif
Right on brother

You've Got Mail

I'll always find it hypocritical that my coworkers can go home at night and drink an entire 6-pack of beer but I can't take a few hits from the bong.

When it's legal (again) and enough time passes for a generation or two of UPS workers to get in and out of the system, the people who inherit UPS will allow its use. It only makes sense. And beards, too.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

tumblr_mbg7m1L2GN1rafrbuo1_500.jpg

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I'll always find it hypocritical that my coworkers can go home at night and drink an entire 6-pack of beer but I can't take a few hits from the bong.

When it's legal (again) and enough time passes for a generation or two of UPS workers to get in and out of the system, the people who inherit UPS will allow its use. It only makes sense. And beards, too.
Exactly, smoking way safer than drinking any day of the week.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Dr Drew blasted the whole argument that Marinol doesn't work.

I would require all package car drivers to be included in drug testing.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The problem with marijuana is the effects can last longer than alcohol does. THC sits in your fat cells while alcohol gets eliminated through metabolism and taking a leak for all intents and purposes. Hell, you can sweat it out of your system, just read a Tucker Max book on how he beat a breathalyzer test by doing burpees. I know plenty of people who get high and operate just fine. Until the law changes, smoking weed can get you into trouble so far as DOT goes, and I live in Washington where it's legal. Federal law trumps state law.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Dr Drew blasted the whole argument that Marinol doesn't work.

I would require all package car drivers to be included in drug testing.

AND alcohol and tobacco should be included with pot. Since we wouldn't want to be hypocrites, lets include the truly deadly drugs.

You've Got Mail

Cigarettes kill more people than weed, and that's a fact.

If the DOT gave a crap about health and safety, it would prohibit employees from smoking cigarettes, not weed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cigarettes kill more people than weed, and that's a fact.

If the DOT gave a crap about health and safety, it would prohibit employees from smoking cigarettes, not weed.

There are states that do prohibit employees from smoking in company vehicles.

The DOT will never allow commercials drivers to have an "acceptable" amount of THC in their system.