Memorial Day

moreluck

golden ticket member
a3d2eb854a12323c787ca93afcfbe87d.jpg

Memorial day weekend traffic

9d636ca99b92dae56b4fddbadc11f4c5.jpg

Happy Memorial Day Weekend :) Thank you Veterans for your service !
Its not the holiday that It used to be! Nows its a 3 day party weekend. How many people actually go to the cemetery, and pay their respects?

All that I can say is, thankyou men and women for serving our country. and giving us our freedom! May your soul's rest in peace

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Its not the holiday that It used to be! Nows its a 3 day party weekend. How many people actually go to the cemetery, and pay their respects?

All that I can say is, thankyou men and women for serving our country. and giving us our freedom! May your soul's rest in peace
The Vets were out donating money yesterday....i gave some! But you do have a point....

moreluck

golden ticket member

Growing up, our family referred to it as Decoration Day because you went to the cemetery and decorated graves.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Commencement Speech by Navy Seal.....

Via BPR

Admiral William McRaven, a 36-year veteran Navy SEAL and commander of the forces that killed Osama bin Laden, delivered a rousing commencement speech Thursday to graduates at his alma mater, the University of Texas at Austin.

In urging students to find the courage to change the world, McRaven shared these 10 life lessons, as seen in the video below:

1. If you want to change the world, start off by making your bed.

2. If you want to change the world, find someone to help you paddle.

3. If you want to change the world, measure a person by the size of their heart, not the size of their flippers.

4. If you want to change the world get over being a sugar cookie and keep moving forward.

5. If you want to change the world, don’t be afraid of the circuses.

6. If you want to change the world sometimes you have to slide down the obstacle head first.

7. If you want to change the world, don’t back down from the sharks.

8. If you want to change the world, you must be your very best in the darkest moment.

9. If you want to change the world, start singing when you’re up to your neck in mud.

10. If you want to change the world don’t ever, ever ring the bell.

For each lesson, McRaven offered a narrative of how it applied to him. The most poignant explanation came just before No. 10, when he said:

Finally, in SEAL training there is a bell, a brass bell that hangs in the center of the compound for all the students to see.

All you have to do to quit is ring the bell. Ring the bell and you no longer have to wake up at 5 o’clock. Ring the bell and you no longer have to do the freezing cold
swims.
Ring the bell and you no longer have to do the runs, the obstacle course, the PT — and you no longer have to endure the hardships of training.

Just ring the bell.

If you want to change the world don’t ever, ever ring the bell.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Yesterday my 15 year old son and I went out for breakfast. While we were leaving I noticed he was shaking an elderly man's hand and talking to him. I wandered over and noticed he was thanking a veteran. My son gives me many reasons to be proud but this blew me away. Take time, not only this weekend, but anytime and thank a vet.

Ron Carey lives on

Thanks to all Veterans. Fallen and still with us. Take this day to relax with your family, and thank God for those who risk their lives for our freedom and safety

Sent using BrownCafe App

moreluck

golden ticket member
"THE FINAL INSPECTION"

The soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To my Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his soldiers and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills just got too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgement of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."

Sgt. Joshua Helterbran

moreluck

golden ticket member
Memorial Day, an American holiday observed on the last Monday of May, honors men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971. Many Americans observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, holding family gatherings and participating in parades. Unofficially, at least, it marks the beginning of summer.

th