Memorial day

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by davidr236, Mar 28, 2007.

1. davidr236

davidr236 New Member

Hi there I am new to ups. I started monday actually as a pre-loader, its been intresting so far. .Anyways I was just wondering if we get memorial day off or is it just a normal day. I have previous engagements and im pretty sure that being new my chances of getting that day off are slim to none. Thanks

2. disneyworld

disneyworld Active Member

Memorial Day IS a UPS holiday.

3. MR_Vengeance

MR_Vengeance United Parcel Survivor

you want a day off? go work at a public school........here at UPS we got packages to deliver darn it!:lol:

4. area43

area43 New Member

Theres old school and new school. When I got hired in 85 i was happy to have a job. The best pt job in the country. The last thing that was on my mind was a holiday, but i will have to say the paid holidays r nice. enjoy( :

5. davidr236

davidr236 New Member

sweet thanks...anybody know how long it will take my body to get used to this haha. Hopefully soon

6. disneyworld

disneyworld Active Member

As soon as your body gets used to it is when it starts to break down.

7. area43

area43 New Member

Get plenty of rest and go at it with a strong smart steady pace. Im not out to win the game, but to stay in the game. Good luck and God bless

8. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

"As soon as your body gets used to it is when it starts to break down."

THAT was great, Disney!

9. RockyRogue

RockyRogue Agent of Change

My sort runs Sunday to Thursday and we ARE working the day before Memorial Day. This isn't a surprise considering we also work Easter Sunday! :mad: :mad: -Rocky

10. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Been doing this 18 years, I think my body is just about used to it.

11. DorkHead

DorkHead Active Member

You`ll have the day off - unpaid.

12. satellitedriver

satellitedriver Moderator Staff Member

That pulls some vacuum.

13. RockyRogue

RockyRogue Agent of Change

Indeed...I'm going to be interested to see how much volume we can process on Easter Sunday, never mind the day before Memorial Day, due to the number of call-ins. I'd take Easter Sunday off unpaid but they refused the request, citing "volume processing needs." -Rocky

14. BrownHumor

BrownHumor Preloader

You will be surprised how your body adapts if you push it. Just don't do anything stupid like lift too many over 70's by yourself. Oh wait, I mean don't lift ANY over 70's by yourself... yeah riiiiiiight.

7 months on the preload now, and I can honestly say I am in the best shape of my life. It's like a 4-5 hour workout 5 days a week. I've lost 25lbs and am back to my high school weight. That was 14 years ago!

Now if only this job could get me my hair back... I get the feeling it may cause the opposite to happen. :tongue_sm

bh

15. MR_Vengeance

what about those dirt you sucking in while loading?

16. aspenleaf

aspenleaf New Member

We did a lot last Easter - I worked it since my sup was working that shift and she knew a lot of people would call in. Same thing happens on Mother's day and Father's day. . .but the packages still need to be moved in the system. What sucks for preloaders is the 4th of July - yes we get the day off but we can't stay up late (well if we want sleep we choose not to stay up late) to watch the fireworks since we have to be to work so early.

17. BrownHumor

BrownHumor Preloader

what? you don't like picking those big black boogers on the ride home? :thumbup1:

that's why I don't trim my nose hairs, they just might save my life! haha

18. satellitedriver

satellitedriver Moderator Staff Member

Natures dust mask. You should have seen the ones from when I worked in a coal mine. UPS dirt doesn't even come close.

19. MR_Vengeance

:scared: i used to wear a wet rag over my face to block the dirt.

20. MR_Vengeance

no joke coal mines are way too hardcore.........