Memories From The '97' Strike........

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
no. We do not do stupid sh%t like moving empty trailers around just to make a point every day. If we did stupid sh%t like THAT every single day, we would not be making any money.

Not saying we don't do stupid sh%t every day, but not like that. By the way, if we are going to generalize, you guys do stupid sh%t every single day as well. Just saying.

The real lesson here is that we probably should neither of us over generalize.

You do stupid sh%t like screaming at a $10 per hour preloader to get off of the clock, resulting in misloads that a $45 per hour driver on OT has to chase around.

You do stupid sh&t like spending $800 to invesitgate, photgraph, document, discuss, analyze, OJS and discipline a driver over a $10 piece of broken mirror glass.

You do stupid sh&t like intentionally deleting basic safety/ergonomic features such as power steering, low steps and 3 pt seatbelts from package cars with a 30 yr life expectancy.

You do stupid sh&t like intentionally setting routes up to fail so that you can eliminate enough routes to look good on a report.

You do stupid sh&t like wasting huge amount of time and money fixing dispatch issues at 5:00 PM that should/could have been solved a lot more efficiently at 5:00 AM.

You do stupid sh&t like having your operations planned and micromanaged by paranoid absentee landloards from a different time zone, while totally enying your competent local management the ability to make any sort of meaningful decisions.

"Stupid is as stupid does"--Forrest Gump.

brownIEman

You do stupid sh%t like screaming at a $10 per hour preloader to get off of the clock, resulting in misloads that a $45 per hour driver on OT has to chase around.
screaming at preloaders to get off the clock never resulted in a misload. putting the wrong package in a car results in misloads. That has been done by $10 hourlies, $45 hourlies, and management, both being screamed at and not being screamed at. Seen it, all of the above.

You do stupid sh&t like spending $800 to invesitgate, photgraph, document, discuss, analyze, OJS and discipline a driver over a $10 piece of broken mirror glass.

I suspect the investigation was not over a piece of broken glass, I suspect the investigation was about how unacceptable it is for the driver to be unaware of the space around his vehicle to the point that he struck an inanimate object.

You do stupid sh&t like intentionally deleting basic safety/ergonomic features such as power steering, low steps and 3 pt seatbelts from package cars with a 30 yr life expectancy.

that is stupid. By intentionally deleting are you suggesting these vehicles were delivered with these items and UPS paid to have them removed? That is what your sentence says. I respectfully decline to believe your claim.

You do stupid sh&t like intentionally setting routes up to fail so that you can eliminate enough routes to look good on a report.

I have never seen anyone in management intentionally set up a route to fail. I have seen management cut routes to meet a SPC metric that is unrealistic. They then moved that work the best they could in the time given to do so. Sometimes with less than stellar results.

You do stupid sh&t like wasting huge amount of time and money fixing dispatch issues at 5:00 PM that should/could have been solved a lot more efficiently at 5:00 AM.

Thank you for the vote of confidence, but management are not particularly prescient. The number of variables in just a single route make it difficult to know at 5 AM where your problems are going to be at 5 PM, much less when you multiply that by 60 routes.

You do stupid sh&t like having your operations planned and micromanaged by paranoid absentee landloards from a different time zone, while totally enying your competent local management the ability to make any sort of meaningful decisions.

guilty. And the worst part is, it works in getting more production out of the work force at large, so those of us on the front lines really have no leg to stand on when pointing out the stupidity of it.

"Stupid is as stupid does"--Forrest Gump.

kingOFchester

I took a 6-month AA sobriety coin while on strike. It was a tough time; I had a family to support, I was young, and trying to stay clean and sober during a very stressful time. Hard to believe it was 15 years ago!
You sir, should be very proud of your accomplishment.

kingOFchester

Someone told me about one of our drivers...... they said he crossed the line, funny thing is he is the one that goes home every chance he gets.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Having read that striking was possible from this site got me thinking. Having grown up in a Union household, I was told at a young age to NEVER cross a picket line. IIRC, was some meat cutters that went on strike from a local grocery store. Per my fathers request, my mother no longer shopped there. How would you handle or have handled delivering to a business on strike? My gut says I should never cross a picket line to deliver something, but I'm assuming management would never honor that.

There is a distinction between an informational picket and a work stoppage/lockout picket. We are allowed to cross informational picket lines but should never cross a work stoppage/lockout picket.

BrownArmy, there is a Verizon facility on my delivery area. We would put the packages on hold and one of the supervisors would come by and pick them up. One of our drivers delivers to a Verizon Wireless store and was mistakenly told by our steward that they were part of the dispute and refused to deliver their packages. Mgt, steward and driver got together, discussed the issue and deliveries resumed.

menotyou

bella amicizia
screaming at preloaders to get off the clock never resulted in a misload. putting the wrong package in a car results in misloads. That has been done by $10 hourlies, $45 hourlies, and management, both being screamed at and not being screamed at. Seen it, all of the above.

I suspect the investigation was not over a piece of broken glass, I suspect the investigation was about how unacceptable it is for the driver to be unaware of the space around his vehicle to the point that he struck an inanimate object.

that is stupid. By intentionally deleting are you suggesting these vehicles were delivered with these items and UPS paid to have them removed? That is what your sentence says. I respectfully decline to believe your claim.

I have never seen anyone in management intentionally set up a route to fail. I have seen management cut routes to meet a SPC metric that is unrealistic. They then moved that work the best they could in the time given to do so. Sometimes with less than stellar results.

[/I][/B]
Thank you for the vote of confidence, but management are not particularly prescient. The number of variables in just a single route make it difficult to know at 5 AM where your problems are going to be at 5 PM, much less when you multiply that by 60 routes.

guilty. And the worst part is, it works in getting more production out of the work force at large, so those of us on the front lines really have no leg to stand on when pointing out the stupidity of it.
You, sir, are an *******.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
IE man made the one statement that will keeps things the same, no matter how screwed up they are. "It works". Who is making it work or if it could work better are beside the point.

menotyou

bella amicizia
let me get this right. You are throwing a generalized yet personal insult at me for responding to general insults aimed at any and all members of management?
Considering it's censored, how sure are you that it was generalized? How are you sure of exactly what I said? Yet, your assuming was automatic. Of course, you are right. I freely admit I woke up grumpy and read your comment first thing. I shot from the hip, which is what I'm famous for. No apologies.

Screaming at preloaders does create misloads. Seen it many times, even when an on-car manager is screaming at a dispatch sup who is loading. 40 misloads, actually. add/cuts. The sup was distracted. Not even bringing up the matter of a hostile work environment.

Watched same Dispatch Genius back a truck in at 3am and smash an $8 piece of glass. That morning, a kid running a route that was unscratchable smashed one on his way out. (Being yelled at at the time, BTW) and he was suspended. Nothing happened to sup.
-kid got his job back, and the route was taken over by an old-timer. The route lost 60 stops. Yes, 60 stops.

As far as deleting stuff, I believe Sober. Period.

I have seen the same management team that set me up to succeed, set up the guy ahead of me to fail. Same route. I am FT, and he is on metro.

Why is it when our dispatcher goes on vacation, all the routes run great. Add/cuts are a minimum. Drivers are happy. And, it's all done before the center manager leaves at at night.

Need I really comment on the over-micromanaging??????? Really?

Tit-for-tat is may be, but I agree with Sober. As BM says, IEman's mantra never changes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Tit-for-tat is may be, but I agree with Sober.
As BM says, IEman's mantra never changes.

I agree with neither as a rule.

And the same goes for Soberups. He is a broken record and has not posted anything really "new" in over two years on his despising management and UPS.

I read both and use it as input to an overall view of UPS.

Granted, my input for both may "ditto" but I still read it. Just the same old stuff over and over again ... at least they are consistent.

I don't suggest or recommend in any way that there is anything wrong with either persons posts nor do I suggest they change.

PS - I am no more grumpy when I wake up than I am the rest of the day a a rule.
I take pride in being grumpy.

menotyou

bella amicizia

I agree with neither as a rule.

And the same goes for Soberups. He is a broken record and has not posted anything really "new" in over two years on his despising management and UPS.

I read both and use it as input to an overall view of UPS.

Granted, my input for both may "ditto" but I still read it. Just the same old stuff over and over again ... at least they are consistent.

I don't suggest or recommend in any way that there is anything wrong with either persons posts nor do I suggest they change.

PS - I am no more grumpy when I wake up than I am the rest of the day a a rule.
I take pride in being grumpy.
:rofl: You crack me up!!!! :rofl:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
images
Danno,,set up a perimeter around these lazy old timers around the building,You and Chin Ho find all those missing call tags from 1997 and get them down to the Lab to Che Fong and I want prints !!No one in or off the Island till we get this resolved !! All Praise Jack Lord

A

anonymous6

That is a generalization that as all generalizations are - wrong.

I knew a couple of guys that crossed the line and I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.
They are fine individuals that believe strongly in individual rights and the strength of the individual.

reply: i try to have an open mind but it's hard to respect a person ( aka scab ) that puts at risk my life , ie. livelihood, family , future . I take that kinda seriously.

maybe if my shoes were on your feet you would understand.

Johney

images
Danno,,set up a perimeter around these lazy old timers around the building,You and Chin Ho find all those missing call tags from 1997 and get them down to the Lab to Che Fong and I want prints !!No one in or off the Island till we get this resolved !! All Praise Jack Lord
Now that is some funny $#!+ right there, I do remember watching Hawaii 50 reruns before I went down to the picket line everyday.
Here's something, does anybody who watched or watches King of Queens remember the strike episode?

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
images
Now that is some funny $#!+ right there, I do remember watching Hawaii 50 reruns before I went down to the picket line everyday.
Here's something, does anybody who watched or watches King of Queens remember the strike episode?

Just watched a rerun of it yesterday. Arthur never was the same after the guys left all alone again.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
no. We do not do stupid sh%t like moving empty trailers around just to make a point every day. If we did stupid sh%t like THAT every single day, we would not be making any money.

Not saying we don't do stupid sh%t every day, but not like that. By the way, if we are going to generalize, you guys do stupid sh%t every single day as well. Just saying.

The real lesson here is that we probably should neither of us over generalize.

He's right. They don't move empty trailers around every day, sometimes it's just the Tractor!

"TO to this building and call me"
"OK now TO back and call me"
"TO to the rail and call me"
"Thanks, now TO back"

I have more than one timecard saved where I TO'd (Tractor Only for you Package guys) the entire day. That's an improvement over when we were asked to "count the dolly pile" to which you should ask "about how long should that take? (meaning How long should I disappear for?)" Of course there is a reason for this, but what does BrownIEman think it is?

In Arizona I did ambulatory picketing and the package cars being sent out would do 1 or 2 stops taking a very circuitous route before taking a 2 hour lunch, then 1 more before heading back to the building. It was all for show.