Memories From The '97' Strike........

brownIEman

Considering it's censored, how sure are you that it was generalized? How are you sure of exactly what I said? Yet, your assuming was automatic. Of course, you are right. I freely admit I woke up grumpy and read your comment first thing. I shot from the hip, which is what I'm famous for. No apologies.

I assumed nothing. I deduced that you made a crass personal insult toward me. I made this deduction based on the context, and you have freely admitted I was correct. Yet you want to somehow make me the bad guy for making an assumption? That seems odd.

I did not really expect an apology.

Screaming at preloaders does create misloads. Seen it many times, even when an on-car manager is screaming at a dispatch sup who is loading. 40 misloads, actually. add/cuts. The sup was distracted. Not even bringing up the matter of a hostile work environment.

Watched same Dispatch Genius back a truck in at 3am and smash an $8 piece of glass. That morning, a kid running a route that was unscratchable smashed one on his way out. (Being yelled at at the time, BTW) and he was suspended. Nothing happened to sup.
-kid got his job back, and the route was taken over by an old-timer. The route lost 60 stops. Yes, 60 stops.

No, putting the wrong package in a car causes misloads. Period. Being distracted by outside noise is not the cause of misloads, it is an excuse. I fully believe management should not be screaming at loaders under any circumstances, it is still not a valid excuse for misloading.

I do not know the particulars in the mirror cases you site. If you are correct in all aspects of it, I would agree that is unfair. I would bet however, that you are wrong about "nothing happened to the sup". Usually the flaying that sups get for such transgressions is done in private. I do not understand why you say the driver was suspended and then you say he got is job back? If he was suspended he never lost his job to begin with.

As far as deleting stuff, I believe Sober. Period.

and I have no problem with you believing sober. I was really more looking for clarification from him. I agreed with him that not having the safety items in the cars is a stupid thing UPS does. I merely doubted that they were received by the manufacturer with those safety items and then UPS paid extra money to remove them, as sober seems to be saying. That I have a hard time believing. Guess I will agree to disagree with both of you. Which I am capable of doing without calling either of you names.

I have seen the same management team that set me up to succeed, set up the guy ahead of me to fail. Same route. I am FT, and he is on metro.

Good for you, bad for him. Not really sure what your point is. For my part, I have never seen management "set a driver up" for success or failure. I have seen management, including myself, try to make the best choices possible given often unreasonable constraints of resources and time.

Why is it when our dispatcher goes on vacation, all the routes run great. Add/cuts are a minimum. Drivers are happy. And, it's all done before the center manager leaves at at night.

I am making the assumption here that when your dispatcher is on vacation your center manager covers for him, and things are much better on the dispatch end in those cases? If that is the case, the only deduction I can offer based on the limited information you are giving is that your center manager has a much greater Area knowledge of all the routes in your center than does your dispatcher.

Need I really comment on the over-micromanaging??????? Really?

No, there is really no need for you to comment on the micromanaging, as sober pointed it out as stupidity and I started my reply to that point of his with the word "agreed". As far as I can tell we are all on the same page on that one.

Tit-for-tat is may be, but I agree with Sober. As BM says, IEman's mantra never changes.

whereas your mantra is just a storm of variability I suppose?

and if you re-read BrownMonsters post, you may find that my lack of a changing mantra was really not his central point.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I assumed nothing. I deduced that you made a crass personal insult toward me. I made this deduction based on the context, and you have freely admitted I was correct. Yet you want to somehow make me the bad guy for making an assumption? That seems odd.

I did not really expect an apology.

No, putting the wrong package in a car causes misloads. Period. Being distracted by outside noise is not the cause of misloads, it is an excuse. I fully believe management should not be screaming at loaders under any circumstances, it is still not a valid excuse for misloading.

I do not know the particulars in the mirror cases you site. If you are correct in all aspects of it, I would agree that is unfair. I would bet however, that you are wrong about "nothing happened to the sup". Usually the flaying that sups get for such transgressions is done in private. I do not understand why you say the driver was suspended and then you say he got is job back? If he was suspended he never lost his job to begin with.

and I have no problem with you believing sober. I was really more looking for clarification from him. I agreed with him that not having the safety items in the cars is a stupid thing UPS does. I merely doubted that they were received by the manufacturer with those safety items and then UPS paid extra money to remove them, as sober seems to be saying. That I have a hard time believing. Guess I will agree to disagree with both of you. Which I am capable of doing without calling either of you names.

Good for you, bad for him. Not really sure what your point is. For my part, I have never seen management "set a driver up" for success or failure. I have seen management, including myself, try to make the best choices possible given often unreasonable constraints of resources and time.

I am making the assumption here that when your dispatcher is on vacation your center manager covers for him, and things are much better on the dispatch end in those cases? If that is the case, the only deduction I can offer based on the limited information you are giving is that your center manager has a much greater Area knowledge of all the routes in your center than does your dispatcher.

No, there is really no need for you to comment on the micromanaging, as sober pointed it out as stupidity and I started my reply to that point of his with the word "agreed". As far as I can tell we are all on the same page on that one.

whereas your mantra is just a storm of variability I suppose?

and if you re-read BrownMonsters post, you may find that my lack of a changing mantra was really not his central point.
You're completely out of touch with reality, if you believe this.

You are implying that people are robots, which is very sad and a symptom of the corporate culture, but ignorant and naive to science.

brownIEman

Never mind, I am going to do what so many around here do and just pick and choose what to hammer.

In that spirit, I am going to rebut your argument in this way -

I said: " I fully believe management should not be screaming at loaders under any circumstances,"

to which you replied that I am completely out of touch with reality if I believe it.

You are harsh. And ready. Put your letter in.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Never mind, I am going to do what so many around here do and just pick and choose what to hammer.
So, "brownIEman", what you are saying (directly, I might add) is that two wrongs make a right?

Would you also imply, or say outright, that it is okay to steal from the co., when the co. steals from you?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I appreciate his reply, and it's tone. I think he appears to be a nice gentleman. But, I disagree with his logic. IEman, if I worked in your building, I'd offer you one of my homemade chocolate chip cookies. Or, some Mac and Cheese. But, what is sad is that I have to 'work my ass off to try and work my ass off'. Why a good employee isn't appreciated is so far beyond my realm of thinking.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I appreciate his reply, and it's tone. I think he appears to be a nice gentleman. But, I disagree with his logic. IEman, if I worked in your building, I'd offer you one of my homemade chocolate chip cookies. Or, some Mac and Cheese. But, what is sad is that I have to 'work my ass off to try and work my ass off'. Why a good employee isn't appreciated is so far beyond my realm of thinking.
There are no "good employee" at UPS. It is all about making downtime and doing anything to impress the DM and above shills. The best employees are dispensable heros.

Last edited:

brownIEman

So, "brownIEman", what you are saying (directly, I might add) is that two wrongs make a right?

Would you also imply, or say outright, that it is okay to steal from the co., when the co. steals from you?

No, two wrongs do not make a right. I said I was posting in a way others here do, I never claimed I felt I was doing the right thing by doing so.

brownIEman

There are no "good employee" at UPS. It is all about making downtime and doing anything to impress the DM and above shills. The best employees are dispensable heros.

if you truly believe this you are completely out of touch with reality :happy-very:

There are great employees at UPS. I know, I have some that report to me. There are some not so good employees at UPS. I have some of those too. We all have jobs to do, and we are expected to do them to the best of our ability. If my employees do that, I really don't care what the numbers were. If they don't, well I need to do the best I can to correct that. I do it in a non confrontational, respectful manner. That is just my way. The DM can scream at me all he wants, I have very thick skin, and personally have absolutely zero regard for impressing him.

menotyou

bella amicizia
if you truly believe this you are completely out of touch with reality :happy-very:

There are great employees at UPS. I know, I have some that report to me. There are some not so good employees at UPS. I have some of those too. We all have jobs to do, and we are expected to do them to the best of our ability. If my employees do that, I really don't care what the numbers were. If they don't, well I need to do the best I can to correct that. I do it in a non confrontational, respectful manner. That is just my way. The DM can scream at me all he wants, I have very thick skin, and personally have absolutely zero regard for impressing him.
I wish more felt this way. :(

A

anonymous6

you are an anomoly. wish there were more like you.

Packmule

Union was trying to bankrupt our pension. UPS was trying to save us. Sadly, it took another 20 years before members smartened up and demanded that our union do exactly what UPS was trying to do FOR US in 97. I also saved every scrap of paper, and yes, it was eye opening to see how many lies the Teamsters told so they could keep bilking our retirement to pay for our competitors' retirement.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Union was trying to bankrupt our pension. UPS was trying to save us. Sadly, it took another 20 years before members smartened up and demanded that our union do exactly what UPS was trying to do FOR US in 97. I also saved every scrap of paper, and yes, it was eye opening to see how many lies the Teamsters told so they could keep bilking our retirement to pay for our competitors' retirement.

Ahem ... you mean your Teamster brothers and sisters?